Jump to content

Peter Rundle-Curry

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

63 Excellent

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The new spears have fixed my foaming issues, so far..
  2. Yep I'm at about 70% this only looks good as I have been brewing stouts and they don't suffer like the lagers, if it was only lager it would be 50% and I also purchased a stack of old liners a week before the announcement..
  3. I tried the ginger beer after 4 weeks in the secondary, tasted wonderful, great flavour with that ginger bite, bubbly, smooth and about 3.5% alcohol..
  4. I always store the yeast in the fridge, the brew was certainly fermenting as there was a great deal of activity throughout the 12 days, also the small taster I had after primary had a nice bite..
  5. Just completed primary fermentation on a ginger beer, selected a Morgans (makes 20l so just halved the ingredients) but used Y9 yeast (cos I like it..) fermented for 13 days at 12C (didn't have a hydrometer so monitored the bubble action) when bubbles stopped gave it another day. Just hope it doesn't blow!! used the standard 1 pack of sucrose will give it 4 weeks in secondary. Also used Dextrose in the primary should be about 3.5% alcohol. Tasted after primary and it gave me a big smile, tasted great Note the Droid doesn't detect fermentation so I used it as a temperature controlled vessel. Will let you know how it goes Pete
  6. Gibbo It looks as if the gauze is meant to be a filter, but when you examine it it's made up of a series of 1mm plastic channels attached to a plastic flap. I can see that if the beer is a bit effervescent like the Bavarian gets, the pressure will force the flap upwards and even bend off the channels, making it into a non-return valve. Unfortunately it is difficult to mess with as it flaps down too easy and you may end up piercing the bag.. The tech team have gone pretty quiet, they promised to replace two keg kits and a brew kit but nothing came of it. To be honest I just hope they rectify the design as I hate wasting good beer! Pete
  7. I just preformed a full autopsy on the liner and I think I have found the issue, the liner actually has an inner bladder, when you look in the top you can see a channeled gauze. When pressure builds up in the liner the flap of the gauze is pressed hard against the throat thus restricting the flow to only a small gap (less than 1mm). The brew is then forced through the gap and is atomised hence froth.. Pete
  8. I have a response from the tech team as follows: "At present you are correct in that sometimes the keg liner can cause issues with the pressure build-up hence causing further difficulty when attempting to pour. We are working with our keg liner manufacturers to rectify this issue. We’ve found that there might be a best practice method to connecting the liner to the keg cap, we hope to have this tested and communicated to the BrewArt community in due course. I can assure you we are investigating the foaming issue intensely and hope to produce a solution that resolves this issue. I have flagged our conversation and have passed this on my manager to ensure you are updated with the progression of our testing outcomes" I will keep everyone in the loop Pete
  9. Pop, Unfortunately I didn't undertake a post morton on the liner and they have gone to the refuge God.. I did look closely at the gauze covering the outlet of the liner and it seemed blocked, I guess it had to be to be able to hold the air inside.. I have sent an email to Paul in the tech support, he seemed to think it's a one off but I'm beginning to think this may not be the case. Even a partial blockage I would think would cause the beer to froth and not flow freely, a partial blockage may not be so obvious to see! Maybe we all should start collecting information about the kegs that froth, I'm convinced it has absolutely nothing to do with the secondary fermentation. I have OCD so every keg undergoes the exact same treatment regardless of the type of brew. Oh by the way the Four Leaf is the best beer I have made so far ☺️ Pete
  10. So out of the pack of 4 liners, two were duds (95% froth) and both retained air so they were near on impossible to get out of the keg. The other two (Four leaf) had perfect head and both did not retain air and came out of the keg easily. All secondary fermentation was exactly the same time (3 weeks) and temperature (maintained in a wine fridge @ 20C). The first brew by the way was a coopers special reserve pilsener. Pete
  11. The actual bladder retains air, I do the same and release the air from the keg to be able to unscrew the black nut, this all goes fine but the bladder normally can be pulled out of the keg. The one I had wouldn't come out of the opening due to the amount of air retained in the bladder. I have another keg which is pouring awful which will be finished this weekend, it will be interesting to see if it is the same..
  12. The last keg was 99% froth (Artisan Reserve), tried the shake and sit but still the same. When it was empty and I removed the screwed spout off the liner, the keg (even without anything attached) was still full of air and I had difficulty getting it out. Once out I could squeeze it and only a small amount of air would come out. It was like the top gauze was blocked.. Maybe this was the problem, I have just put the second keg of the batch in the brewflo so will check the pour out tonight. Pete
  13. My last batch of Bira Italian was also very heady, it's the third batch the others were fine! funny enough this is the first batch where I have used a caddy and put the kegs in the wine fridge @ 18C for secondary fermentation. The others were at 28C plus due to QLD summer temps. So it's not the temperature or the kegging it has to be something else but I brewed all of the batches exactly the same! Just saying..
  • Create New...