Jason Burrell

American Pale Ale day 3

So I’m doing my first brew with the American Pale Ale brewprint. I sanitized the machine, put in my water, yeast, elements, and enhancers and fired it off with the app. During the prolongation phase I could see the beginnings of bubbling and the ingredients stayed in top. From my reading, I understand this is what should happen. 

Im now on day 3. The water at the bottom has finally started to turn a bit amber. The temperature has been consistent at 63F throughout the cycle. But I’m not seeing any significant bubbling. And of course I’m not going to go opening the top and contaminate everything  

Is this normal for this brewprint or has my yeast committed suicide? As this is my first brew ever I don’t have any experience to compare it to. 

Thanks. 

Hi Jason!  I just finished my first brew as well and started on my second.  I had the same questions.  Has your droid detected fermentation yet?  I actually contacted Liam from BrewArt and asked if this was normal.  His explanation was this " there is no need to concerned if the elements and enhancers haven't dissolved, as long as you put he yeast in first.  The way it work is, the yeast will rehydrate in the water and will start working on the sugars in the BeerDroid, once fermentation picks up it will create a vortex and mix everything together."  Does this answer your question?  Also, there is a group on Facebook "BrewArt Owners -  BeerDroid and BrewFlo".   I would suggest joining that as it way more active than these forums!  Bunch of great guys and have helped tremendously.  

Barrelboy    7

Although an old post I’ll make comment incase others refer to this thread. You need to remember the viewing window only gives a limited view in terms of the whole fermenter and consequently whilst bubbling is going on it may take a minute or so (by pressing and keeping light on) for a bubble/s to pass where the viewing window is. 

Another sign of fermentation activity is the time taken to increase the brewing temperature, fermentation creates heat therefore the speed in the temperature going from the low value to the high value will quicken.