American Pale Ale

So I’m doing my first brew with the American Pale Ale brewprint. I sanitized the machine, put in my water, yeast, elements, and enhancers and fired it off with the app. During the prolongation phase I could see the beginnings of bubbling and the ingredients stayed in top. From my reading, I understand this is what should happen. 

Im now on day 3. The water at the bottom has finally started to turn a bit amber. The temperature has been consistent at 63F throughout the cycle. But I’m not seeing any significant bubbling. And of course I’m not going to go opening the top and contaminate everything  

Is this normal for this brewprint or has my yeast committed suicide? As this is my first brew ever I don’t have any experience to compare it to. 

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason!  I just finished my first brew as well and started on my second.  I had the same questions.  Has your droid detected fermentation yet?  I actually contacted Liam from BrewArt and asked if this was normal.  His explanation was this " there is no need to concerned if the elements and enhancers haven't dissolved, as long as you put he yeast in first.  The way it work is, the yeast will rehydrate in the water and will start working on the sugars in the BeerDroid, once fermentation picks up it will create a vortex and mix everything together."  Does this answer your question?  Also, there is a group on Facebook "BrewArt Owners -  BeerDroid and BrewFlo".   I would suggest joining that as it way more active than these forums!  Bunch of great guys and have helped tremendously.  

• 5 months later...

Although an old post I’ll make comment incase others refer to this thread. You need to remember the viewing window only gives a limited view in terms of the whole fermenter and consequently whilst bubbling is going on it may take a minute or so (by pressing and keeping light on) for a bubble/s to pass where the viewing window is. 

Another sign of fermentation activity is the time taken to increase the brewing temperature, fermentation creates heat therefore the speed in the temperature going from the low value to the high value will quicken.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

How does this rank against Cooper pale ale?

Did you prefer it?

Not as strong, less of an intense flavour and not as bitter in the finish. I like the Coopers Pale Ale however not a session drink for me, however the American Pale Ale is easy going, will be great in summer.

Cheers, Mark

21 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

What did you think of the Bavarian?

Review just published today in Brewprint. “

“Put this one down on 28/5 and kegged on 7/6/19. This is a really crisp enjoyable lager. Sweet malty flavours backed with a slight herbal finish. This a brew anytime drink.”

Its a great drop and hoping the Belgian Lager you like is just as good. I would brew this one if I were you.

Edited by Barrelboy

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

In my defence, I did spend most of the day putting up the nets at cricket and hand mowing a large area of the oval that was too soft to have the ride on, so I was just a touch buggered. I mean, you should have seen how many times I rechecked my order last night.

Ha, forgiven 👍. Out of interest I run a stock list on excel, helps in working out what I need. I still have 17 tins of various Coopers in stock (34 x 10l brews) so ordering ingredients has to take them into account as well. (17 tins I hear you ask, earlier in the year BigW had a 20% discount special so for example a can of  English bitter at normally $16 was $12.80)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Even saying that, the bottles may get a good sitting first, building a far stock, should be up to 16 kegs by December as well as 100 + bottles. Then I can do stuff like make a Coopers Vintage, knowing I can let it sit for 6 months or more. The plan ( the one I haven't explained to the wife) is 20 kegs, maybe 150-200 longnecks and I reckon I won't even bother labelling unless it is a long time beer like a Vintage ale etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5 weeks secondary...can see why people talk this one up. I had one of the dregs bottles (last two from droid) but yeah, that is bloody nice. May need to bring that keg forward in the line. I am really impressed with that, I can see why they include it with a new purchase. This is the beer that if you told a mate you bought brewart, brewed this, gave it a few weeks secondary and said "I made this" your mate would be like "F*&% off you did, that's a craft brew"

Edited by Rob Courtney

16 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

5 weeks secondary...can see why people talk this one up. I had one of the dregs bottles (last two from droid) but yeah, that is bloody nice. May need to bring that keg forward in the line. I am really impressed with that, I can see why they include it with a new purchase. This is the beer that if you told a mate you bought brewart, brewed this, gave it a few weeks secondary and said "I made this" your mate would be like "F*&% off you did, that's a craft brew"

Spot on and your right, smart sample for selling the droid.