Jump to content
Rob Courtney

US Chiller Lager

Recommended Posts

On 02/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, Barrelboy said:

Rob, I’m surprised, although a clone so to speak it’s a nice drop. Do again as a clone, no - I have two Droids now🍻 

Hey, did you dry hop this one?

Have a brewprint of this left and that comes without hops, something I think it lacked with the keg I drank, I was thinking of putting in some Hallertau hops with it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I didn’t add any hops, only hops would be in the 1/2 a can of Coopers Draught I used. I’d say the Hallertau would work well. Give it a go. Say 20g? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

No I didn’t add any hops, only hops would be in the 1/2 a can of Coopers Draught I used. I’d say the Hallertau would work well. Give it a go. Say 20g? 

 

Yeah That's what I'd be looking at. What I am planning to do with my next order is to stop ordering pouches and start dry hopping using the exact type of hops they have in the brewprint ( obviously, with the way I drink, it means a lot of Saaz). I mean, I think I have gotten some excellent results the second half of the year with the hops pouches but I'd hope to get even better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

 

Yeah That's what I'd be looking at. What I am planning to do with my next order is to stop ordering pouches and start dry hopping using the exact type of hops they have in the brewprint ( obviously, with the way I drink, it means a lot of Saaz). I mean, I think I have gotten some excellent results the second half of the year with the hops pouches but I'd hope to get even better.

 

I thought you got into hop pellets and your ball and chain set up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

I thought you got into hop pellets and your ball and chain set up?

Yeah I have but I still have the last three prints left with hop pouches still with them, I have been half an halfing with pouches and pellets ( I will have to try the Czech Pils which is at 6.5 weeks secondary and the Pale Ale this week to ascertain how that has gone. I think I will be happy with the results and if that is the case, a couple of hop pouches is 7-8 bucks...where even if I am just buying hops in 25gms packs, it's the same price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah I have but I still have the last three prints left with hop pouches still with them, I have been half an halfing with pouches and pellets ( I will have to try the Czech Pils which is at 6.5 weeks secondary and the Pale Ale this week to ascertain how that has gone. I think I will be happy with the results and if that is the case, a couple of hop pouches is 7-8 bucks...where even if I am just buying hops in 25gms packs, it's the same price

7-8 bucks for 25gs is very expensive. Appreciate your support of the local brew shop but that’s adding a fair bit to the cost of your brews. I buy local, generally 9-12 dollars for 100gms, that gives 5 brews. I also buy of eBay. Just search hops, heaps with free postage. Direct from Melbourne or Sydney most of them.

Edited by Barrelboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

7-8 bucks for 25gs is very expensive. Appreciate your support of the local brew shop but that’s adding a fair bit to the cost of your brews. I buy local, generally 9-12 dollars for 100gms, that gives 5 brews. I also buy of eBay.

 

He has the bigger packs as well which seemed to cost not much more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

 

He has the bigger packs as well which seemed to cost not much more

They come in vacuum sealed bags. After opening I put the bag in a sandwich press seal bag and back into the fridge (stops the hop smell in the fridge although nice).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

They come in vacuum sealed bags. After opening I put the bag in a sandwich press seal bag and back into the fridge (stops the hop smell in the fridge although nice).

The bags I get are vacuumed sealed inside a zip lock bag, the Brew Shop guy told me to keep it in the freezer after it was opened

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

The bags I get are vacuumed sealed inside a zip lock bag, the Brew Shop guy told me to keep it in the freezer after it was opened

I stand corrected, the Brew Shop guy is correct in that they are best stored in the freezer after opening. I’ll change my procedures as of now. They are ok to store in the fridge before opening but the freezer will be best practice from the start.
 

Thanks, learn something new every day. (at least no real harm done)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US Chiller Lager in the droid as we speak. Ran out of Y9 yeast so substituted with Y9. Both lager yeasts so would suspect no major change in taste. Y7 probably not as “fruity” in its result?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just kegged tonight, tried a sample with the Hallertau hops which is...different. Interesting to see how this one turns out. Thought the last one of these was a nice drink but just missing a bit of ooomph, which may be fixed with some hops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keg this yesterday. No hops so see how it goes. As the first one I did was a kit based clone, looking forward to how this turns out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...