Jump to content
Rob Courtney

Czech Pilsner

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Will be interested in that. I like the Czech Saaz hops but always like to play around as well. Report soon.

at least 2 maybe 3 weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit different to the usual Czech Pils, has a bit more bitterness but with a touch of fruit flavour. Sadly, a few sips in, I got stuck into some home made sausage rolls and the tom sauce splayed the tastebuds but I'll have a couple of those, for the getting older day on Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Good night though, sausage rolls ( didn't get enough, bloody kids ) a Czech, Aus Prem, a Boho and a pale stubbie

Some foods and sauces can spoil a good drink whereas others really enhance. Example, a wood fired margarita pizza with Birra Italiano, a top match. There is a main thread on food and beer pairing.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kegging and bottling this tomorrow. 40 degrees in the Hunter Valley this weekend.  That will make a dent in my stock. Then the custom Pale Ale goes in. Bentspoke Lake Burley Griffin clone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Kegging and bottling this tomorrow. 40 degrees in the Hunter Valley this weekend.  That will make a dent in my stock. Then the custom Pale Ale goes in. Bentspoke Lake Burley Griffin clone.

40 plus for the next few days here in Adelaide, have plenty to drink until the Pilsner is ready. Do you have a recipe for the clone?

Cheers, Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image.jpeg

 

Second time drinking this, it is the depth of flavour now in the beer that has me really happy. Reckon this is a dead set 12 months of experimenting to get the hop mix right ( and the only way to tell is to do exhaustive research) but you can actually tell the three different hops flavours in the mouth. Think the added variety of hops brings this closer to the Czech beers I like ( not that there is anything wrong with just Saaz) so reasonably stoked with this and gven it is about 5 weeks, interested to see it develop

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2020 at 5:46 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Image.jpeg

 

Second time drinking this, it is the depth of flavour now in the beer that has me really happy. Reckon this is a dead set 12 months of experimenting to get the hop mix right ( and the only way to tell is to do exhaustive research) but you can actually tell the three different hops flavours in the mouth. Think the added variety of hops brings this closer to the Czech beers I like ( not that there is anything wrong with just Saaz) so reasonably stoked with this and gven it is about 5 weeks, interested to see it develop

 

You used Spalt, Tettnang and Saaz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

You used Spalt, Tettnang and Saaz?

yep 8gms each of the others, 10 of Saaz but i will be mucking around with those ratios a lot in the next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

yep 8gms each of the others, 10 of Saaz but i will be mucking around with those ratios a lot in the next year

Looking at the hop profiles might I suggest 10g Spalt, 15g tattnang and 20g Saaz. I’d try it myself but don’t have any Spalt so might try with the other two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Looking at the hop profiles might I suggest 10g Spalt, 15g tattnang and 20g Saaz. I’d try it myself but don’t have any Spalt so might try with the other two.

Trying this at near 7 weeks and some of the strong bitterness is mellowing but mellowing into a bloody nice beer. Still very bitter a real go for a hot summers day. Reckon I necked a pint of this in 5 minutes...and its not even warm at the moment.

Could see a time when I would try 20 saaz, ten each of Perle, Tetts and Spalt and see how that goes.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, nice hot day, did a fair amount of yard work and now just necked a glass of the Czech. By time I got the camera ready...beer was drunk

At 4 weeks such an enjoyable brew.

”......did a fair amount of yard work...”  yeah yeah

DDAAC7DE-77B9-439F-8833-FA2D12E46297.jpeg.8edec9dbb67aad0edd4aefdea732b023.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just poured this after 3 weeks. I can see what Mark and Rob are raving on about. This is a dam good beer. I'm and Ale man, don't usually brew  Lagers. May have to start. Anyone for a Lawnmower?

IMG_20201219_170051317.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Just poured this after 3 weeks. I can see what Mark and Rob are raving on about. This is a dam good beer. I'm and Ale man, don't usually brew  Lagers. May have to start. Anyone for a Lawnmower?

IMG_20201219_170051317.jpg

Now that does look good. Before BrewArt and Rob’s influence I was also an ale man but boy these lagers. The Lawn Mower, the Bohemian, the Belgian, the Deutsch, the............are all great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Czech with the hop profile I put in...I am a little disappointed that I have to finish the Bohos so I can get to the Czechs (obviously, it is the type of disappointment I can live with).

Damn, just damn, I used to really like the Czech beer bt with the different hops profile, it is so frickin' good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Just poured this after 3 weeks. I can see what Mark and Rob are raving on about. This is a dam good beer. I'm and Ale man, don't usually brew  Lagers. May have to start. Anyone for a Lawnmower?

IMG_20201219_170051317.jpg

Nice glass to pour it into as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have this one in the droid at the moment and will go 50gms of hops, 20 Saaz and 10 each of perle, spalt and tettanger. If it improves on the brew that I am drinking now...well...because 9 weeks in this is pretty damn good

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the Czech Pilsner in the droid today. Haven’t done for a while so will be looking forward to it.

Now we know it’s a top drop and here’s some info/trivia to possible surprise you.

Buying the Brewart ingredients = $24 (aud) = 26 x 375ml bottles = $22 for a slab of 24 bottles.

Czech Pilsner (Coldstream @ bottle shop) = $70 for 24 x 330ml = $80 for equivalent 24 x 375ml!

Wow a $58 saving per carton of 24 (375ml) bottles.

Can someone from the US do a costing for interest sake?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...