Czech Pilsner

On 25/12/2020 at 11:13 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Have this one in the droid at the moment and will go 50gms of hops, 20 Saaz and 10 each of perle, spalt and tettanger. If it improves on the brew that I am drinking now...well...because 9 weeks in this is pretty damn good

That is a very interesting hops profile at a smidge under 3 weeks. I am surprised that 50gms of hops seems to have worked so nicely in a lager, will be better to try this before a session ale to get a better grip on it but i think this will be a winner

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I’ll be kegging tomorrow at 11day fermentation. Dry hopped 30g of the Czech Saaz 4 days ago. Always turns out well for my taste although 40g could be on the agenda.

Yeah, this is the thing I was just thinking about, how does 50gms of Saaz compare to the 50 gm mix I put in?

I guess, there is only one way to find out

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I live right near West End ... don’t mind the smell when they’re brewing. Not so much actually drinking it.

Yeah, not the best, though back in the 70s and 80s they made a brew "West End Bitter" which wasn't too shabby, I'd drink that. Not entirely sure why that got the boot yet the draught stayed

7 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Isn’t it just Southwark Bitter now?

Uggggh, don't get me started on "green death"

Southwark used to make a table beer called "Southwark premium": and I first noticed it when mt dad would get it when we went out to dinner and I was a kid ( A long time ago). He would just drink Bitter or Draught as a standard beer or red wine ( and that is another story because I really got into reds when the old man was alive).

Anyways, brother had a BBQ for the family and I bought a carton of Premium and came over with it and kinda said "lets smash the slab old man" and he almost teared up at the extravegance of two people drinking a slab of good beer by themselves because it was maybe $15 more. It baffled me because the man had worked hard, was not poor anymore but could not bring himself out of the working class ideals when it came to beer drinking...or alcohol in general.

Strange but I remember buying him a bottle of Johnnie Blue for Fathers Day one year just for the sheer fact that he would never have spent that much cash for a bottle of whisky ( I mean, it was like $160 and to be honest, I had bought him better bottles than Johnnie Blue but that was the bottle he had always seen on the top shelf and always thought " a glass would be great") which was weird as he could have afforded it  in the last 25 years of his life for sure but working class for life, hey?

Pity the old bugger is not alive anymore, I'd have bought him a droid for sure but I can almost hear his voice "son, I'm not sure one droid gets the job done" :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Uggggh, don't get me started on "green death"

Southwark used to make a table beer called "Southwark premium": and I first noticed it when mt dad would get it when we went out to dinner and I was a kid ( A long time ago). He would just drink Bitter or Draught as a standard beer or red wine ( and that is another story because I really got into reds when the old man was alive).

Anyways, brother had a BBQ for the family and I bought a carton of Premium and came over with it and kinda said "lets smash the slab old man" and he almost teared up at the extravegance of two people drinking a slab of good beer by themselves because it was maybe $15 more. It baffled me because the man had worked hard, was not poor anymore but could not bring himself out of the working class ideals when it came to beer drinking...or alcohol in general.

Strange but I remember buying him a bottle of Johnnie Blue for Fathers Day one year just for the sheer fact that he would never have spent that much cash for a bottle of whisky ( I mean, it was like $160 and to be honest, I had bought him better bottles than Johnnie Blue but that was the bottle he had always seen on the top shelf and always thought " a glass would be great") which was weird as he could have afforded it  in the last 25 years of his life for sure but working class for life, hey?

Pity the old bugger is not alive anymore, I'd have bought him a droid for sure but I can almost hear his voice "son, I'm not sure one droid gets the job done" :)

I just thought, when I got him the JW Blue, should have got him a 2lt bottle of coke to go with it, he may have smashed the bottle of blue on my head in anger at the thought :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hot summer nights cold Czech beer, 7 weeks in and this has a heck of a lot going for it. The hops mix is sensational now, such a treat to drink. It has bitterness, crisp and a slight hint of fruit as you taste the hops. I will still try the next with 50 gms of just SAAZ but this is bloody nice as I sip away

IMG_0252.jpg

• Upvote 2

Still have one left for next week but this has been an absolute pleasure to drink. Best feedback was my brother last week, a guy who doesn't drink a lot of beer, having this and his first words as we were walking out to the verandah was " wow, that's really nice"

I mean it was and it is, keepin that hops profile in the back pocket

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So last night, I went to the Lenzerheide for dinner ( long story short, was a restaurant Mrs C and I went to all the time when we were young and kidless and if I remember rightly, has a deal with Ambassador that if you came in on a Tuesday before 6pm it was 2 for 1, which given the restaurant was just sensational...and we took advantage of it...keep in mind this was 20 years ago) anyways, had a Goodisen Pilsner last night and this tastes spot on to my brew. Their pilsner was darker but the hops is spot on.

In saying that though, at this stage, prefer my other hops profile and will go with that and the Czech from now on 

Just poured on of these last night post shift.   It was crisp, screamed Pilsner, and had a nice bitter finish.    

gotta say it’s as good as any real Czech I’ve drank (including IN CZECH REPUBLIC). Strangely it reminded me of the american michelob, and the like.   

after lawnmower and the hoppier beers of late gotta say I’d prefer those.  BUT we’re it hotter outside this wouldn’t been the perfect drink.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...