Czech Pilsner

So, as an update on this at 50gms of Saaz. I noticed a great difference in the amount of hops in a beer/beers with my first two beers for a Nachos night.

First beer was a Boho lager with 20gms of Saaz, about 8 weeks in. Really nice beer, all of the falvours of Saaz hops showed in this beer just that bitt of spice with a slight hint of bitterness, really nice.

Next, the Czech, 7 weeks(ish) in with 50gms of Saaz...most of the Saaz is taken over by the bitterness...it really is as bitter as a divorced woman, there is a smidge of the hops still there but it is just a smack on the head with the bitterness. It is getting real close to the Budvar I am trying to finally replicate, another couple of weeks should see it there.

So @Captain 3 Droids  all that time I whined about getting a more bitter taste to the beer...thanks for all the dry hopping advice, put me on the right track...legend

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, J P said:

Brilliant feedback and suggestions!  Thanks for the tips on hopping.   Saaz.  Haven’t tried that one yet.  

Saaz is a real European/Czech hops for pilsners/lagers. Has a subtle taste of a bit of spice, not all that bitter, just enough. Now, I love my Czech beers, just love them. If the world was non Covid, we would be in Europe this year and one of those days in Czechoslovakia would have been spennt going to 2 particular breweries...and the family would have had to take me back smashed to the hotel, so it was something I wanted to brew when I started Brewart.

I was always OK with the Czech Pilsners I brewed here but they weren't quite what I wanted...I did see on the shem sheet that you should go 50gms and just thought that was ridiculous...but...

So not only do you have to try new hops but in different amounts.

FFS, I should have started this when I was 18, I reckon I would have settled on some brews/hops combos by now :)

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 2

Now if that isn’t the best argument yet for this system.   Perfecting the craft and enjoying the journey doing it.  

I love my bohemian brews as well (must be the family tree).  Had an absolute ball bouncing around Prague’s pubs drinking unbelievably cheap (and unbelievably High quality) beers!! 

good on ya Rob for nailing it!    

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23/06/2021 at 9:53 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Put this in the droid today and will dry hop 15g ea of Saaz, willamette and Hallertau. Believe these will match up quite nicely.

Kegged today after EOF at day 6 (used ale mode accidentally instead of lager-see EOF thread) however left in keg mode for further 2 days. From all appearances, smell ect I don’t think there will be any major issue however time will tell. Fortunately Y7 lager yeast can tolerate higher temperatures.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/07/2021 at 7:47 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Kegged today after EOF at day 6 (used ale mode accidentally instead of lager-see EOF thread) however left in keg mode for further 2 days. From all appearances, smell ect I don’t think there will be any major issue however time will tell. Fortunately Y7 lager yeast can tolerate higher temperatures.

Well nothing wrong with this, using the lager yeast in the ale mode hasn’t hurt anything. Hop present is strong and at 3 weeks+ it is very enjoyable. Will let it sit for a while.image.thumb.jpg.6a100d3dc13c02059687c93bcb4eef77.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Keg another Czech today having used the correct program mode, lager not ale ha. Aroma so nice on opening the lid.

On 23/07/2021 at 10:11 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Well nothing wrong with this, using the lager yeast in the ale mode hasn’t hurt anything. Hop present is strong and at 3 weeks+ it is very enjoyable. Will let it sit for a while.image.thumb.jpg.6a100d3dc13c02059687c93bcb4eef77.jpg

That’s an “ale-of-a” lager you got there…   Ba damp bah!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting taste test tonight. Have an 8 week Czech, which I made with Lemondrops being one of the hops instead of i think (Spalt) because i was out. Nice brew, easy to drink but the second one is the 4 week old Czech made with 20gms Saaz, 10 each of Tettanger, Spalt and Perle.

4 weeks wins, it is a really good hops mix that gets a lot better at 6+ weeks

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, I decided to do something different with this brew and I hopped it with Tettang instead of Saaz.

I won't do that again...I mean put Saaz in...best frickin' beer ever. I don't usually pat myself on the back much but Pat Pat Pat. I will start the campaign to get Liam to change this recipe, that is how good it is :)

IMG_0721 (1).jpg

Love the glass.

30 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, I decided to do something different with this brew and I hopped it with Tettang instead of Saaz.

I won't do that again...I mean put Saaz in...best frickin' beer ever. I don't usually pat myself on the back much but Pat Pat Pat. I will start the campaign to get Liam to change this recipe, that is how good it is :)

IMG_0721 (1).jpg

Glad to have you back Lager Master! 👋

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Got this on order again. Enjoyed it the first time with the liquid hops. This time, I have ordered some Saaz pellets and are going to DH. Was thinking 25g? Thoughts?

Yeah wouldn't go any more than that. 

Cheers 

• Upvote 1