Aussie Premium

Rob Courtney

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Had the last bottle of this, 17 weeks in. I mean it is OK, better than a lot of lager beers I have tried but this is "premium" and with the Ringwood hops...not bad but noit good enough for me to consider using again.

Rob, you must try this and get theses hops if necessary.

1) use Y8 and not Y9 per recipe

2) dry hop day 6 with 10g Saaz, 15g Columbus and 20g Centennial.

I think you’ll really enjoy this.

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2021 at 4:22 AM, Rob Courtney said:

Oh it will be very, very long. I spent 20 minutes discussing the difference between "wholesale" and "retail" to someone today when it came to money. Even using examples like "so, you know that when farmers are selling milk, they get $1 a litre...that is the wholesale price and when you buy it at Coles...it is $2 a litre, that is the retail price (silence, blank look) "OK, OK, you know when they say the price of Crude OIl is down to $60 a barrel (yes), that is the wholesale price but when you get it at the pump...and remember, there is about 160 litres in a barrel, you pay at best $1 a litre, often more...that is the retail price (silence blank look).

How do people live their whole lives in a society based on capatilism, yet not understand the concept of wholesale and retail? I do not think I am the smartest man in the room, far from it. I actually am amazed to hear my wife disect concepts with her incredible intelligence...it makes me feel like I am a few evolutionary species below her at times ( but you can think that about really smart people who say stuff and you stop and go "yeah, thanks for explaining that to me, I'd never have got there on my own") but when you explain it ( and I used about 20 examples) and he still went "no but", it is at this stage you should be able to say "now, I'm going to start talking with my fists..."

I grew up on a dairy farm in South Texas.  Having discovered that farmers are required to buy retail but sell wholesale, spurred me off to a career in Engineering.  I have never looked back.

Although I did all the usual 4H animal projects as a youth and I discovered that pigs were pretty intelligent; I lost my zeal for the farm life.

Farming!  Wholesale vs Retail indeed!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2022 at 4:54 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Rob, you must try this and get theses hops if necessary.

1) use Y8 and not Y9 per recipe

2) dry hop day 6 with 10g Saaz, 15g Columbus and 20g Centennial.

I think you’ll really enjoy this.

If I had to replace a Y8 yeast, what would you suggest?

Just now, Captain 3 Droids said:

If at the brew shop go S-189, however you could use Y7 or as per recipe Y9

Well...and i know you will be surprised by this but i always have a couple of extra Y7 in stock :).  I'm sure brewshop guy will have the centennial and columbus...even if he was stunned to hear me ask for Melba hops...he couldn't get them in apparently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting, I'll try it the otherway first but Pride instead of Saaz would at least allow me to use up some of the hop I have left.

Actually woke up before noon this time (no excessive amounts of wine drank this time) and went to the Brewshop guy to get Eldorado and Azacca hops for a session I'll make later...and I'm not surprised that he hadn't got them but he didn't even stock columbus or Centenial...well something for the old fella to order in

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

9 weeks in now, for a lager, I have always thought this one drinks a little later, than the others. This is not an early drinker, I have thought it drinks better towards 3 months than 2, have always drunk it with Hallertau than Hersbrucker, not that I have anything against Hersbrucker and may even do it that way next time.

Still, for those who like a solid lager, this does not disappoint and I have found the base to be amicable to many hops choices.

This is one of those beers that if you like lagers an buy Brewart...you could give this to your friends and they'd be all turned around about home brew beers

image.thumb.jpeg.67d4bbe0b8ed188e697de1da9ea1f750.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...