Deutsch Lager

On 11/01/2021 at 7:41 AM, Roman Kanivets said:

Just cracked my first bottle after 2 weeks and 4 days. Lots of flavor, very floral, nice amount of bitterness. This is leaps and bounds above store bought beer. This is one of the best beers I've had. Really pleased with my first brew.

Yeah, very nice early and still quite a nice beer at 9 weeks. Happy to hear the comment of above store bought beer, when you get to that stage it makes all the doubt about going large to brew beer go away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprised I talked this one up as an early drinker last time though the way I bottled this was a hot mess to say the least. First time using hop filter, no bottle attachment, tried to pour bottles through the opening where the bottle wand would go, which kinda worked but wasn't great, so I just used my keg tube...but I was determined to be stupid, usually quite a lateral thinker but not then, no sireeeeeeeeee. 

After I finished I thought " could have sawed off a segment of tube, that would be simpler...and that as an idea worked but I used the whole tube working on some acrobatics to not knock bottles over, it was harder than it needed to be.

Anyways, comig along, six weeks in starting to develop, sweetspot coming and that will make all the hardwork of bottling worthwhile

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

That looks great.

Yeah what happened to Summer in SA? I wonder if we're in for a hot March?

It has been a hot March and a bit of hot April for at least a decade now. I remember as a kid that April meant you were descending into winter...or maybe it is all perspective. I mean, it has been a milder summer this year but it will have a bit of a sting in the tail

On 4/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

At 6 and a bit weeks a very refreshing drop and the 40g of dry hop Hallertau really shines through.image.thumb.jpg.a4bad3d7b2be84e55850e295f4a33a07.jpg

Just a quick one on swapping liquid hops to dry hops. Is it’s just the hallertau you use? Also is there a part in the community where there might be a list of dry hops you can swap for the liquid hops?

5 hours ago, Almo_022 said:

Just a quick one on swapping liquid hops to dry hops. Is it’s just the hallertau you use? Also is there a part in the community where there might be a list of dry hops you can swap for the liquid hops?

Hi Almo just the Hallertau in this one although many hop combinations can be used. The liquid hop are as follows and can be substituted for the pellets.

image.png.e53217d98b962d030d201765111fc4c4.pngimage.png.e53217d98b962d030d201765111fc4c4.png

In addition here are some of the combinations used by brewers here:-

https://community.brewart.com/topic/812-hop-combinations/

Trust this helps?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think this has to be my fave of the lagers. It's getting a bit longer in the tooth now (I've been having a bit of a brewing hiatus while I go through some transitions in my personal life. Good time to work down the back-stoc. Been a bit quiet here for a while but I might post a couple of things I've brewed latelt) and it's still as good as ever. I've done Belgian, Monch, Bohemian, Deutsch. Also Gold but that's a different story. And the Lion City that I went off-piste on the hops. I dry hopped 10g hallertau I think. I'd say I definitely like the hallertau more than saaz, a nice herbal aroma and a little dry bitterness. Beer has some nice malt but not too much. Kind of crisp. Was very clear (used the bouncer filter). Great head. 10/10 for lager honestly.

SmartSelect_20230610_173649_Photos.thumb.jpg.ee31e2bb70df1efc60d7c3ae4b8006a9.jpg

(I didn't get a photo of it full because O drank the bugger and the second pour is never as pretty)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I think this has to be my fave of the lagers. It's getting a bit longer in the tooth now (I've been having a bit of a brewing hiatus while I go through some transitions in my personal life. Good time to work down the back-stoc. Been a bit quiet here for a while but I might post a couple of things I've brewed latelt) and it's still as good as ever. I've done Belgian, Monch, Bohemian, Deutsch. Also Gold but that's a different story. And the Lion City that I went off-piste on the hops. I dry hopped 10g hallertau I think. I'd say I definitely like the hallertau more than saaz, a nice herbal aroma and a little dry bitterness. Beer has some nice malt but not too much. Kind of crisp. Was very clear (used the bouncer filter). Great head. 10/10 for lager honestly.

SmartSelect_20230610_173649_Photos.thumb.jpg.ee31e2bb70df1efc60d7c3ae4b8006a9.jpg

(I didn't get a photo of it full because O drank the bugger and the second pour is never as pretty)

Hope your PL stuff works out mate

• Upvote 1