Stone and wood

On 20/09/2019 at 8:50 AM, Barrelboy said:

Thought I’d give this one a go (found on a spreadsheet under custom brews) :-

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale

2 x E1; 2 x E5; 1 x X1, Y2 yeast, Ale mode. Dry hop 2 x H6

In the droid today (20/9/19) and will report when consumption occurs.

Very interested in this, one of my favourites! Keep us posted.

Also interested in "custom" brews. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Haha interested to see how this turns out. I have found that ordering ingredients knstead of prints is a touch more work sorting out what goes in a brew and I am sure one day i will.do the same and have a fun concoction to try 🙂

Use the Shem excel spreadsheet. Go into sheet “Brewprint data”, highlight the name of the recipe you want and copy that row with the brew name and ingredients. Now go to sheet on line store helper, and in the Brewprint column paste the recipe. It will add the recipe and provide a cost. As you add more recipes the ingredients total down the bottom and the cost calculated.

Hope that’s clear, makes things so easy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah thats how I did it . However i am sure one day as I go to transpose that data onto the Brewart app to order ill get lazy fingers and click the wrong thing. Or might get unlucky and as they are being packed for order the wrong thing might go into a box , i got my order the other day and i have gone on faith its all there lol. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey There Mark,

Just polished off my keg of Stone and wood clone. Not sure how much it tasted like the original, but was tasty. I used two H6, so I think the Galaxy will be whats missing here. Interestingly, my two home brew stores are both out of Galaxy. I have some Vic Secret, Mosiac, and Amarillo on order.

Regarding the hops addition, I have read that leaving them submerged for to long can produce some grassy flavours. 5 days in the droid and then transferring to the keg seems like a long time. Will look forward to how it turns out.

11 minutes ago, Percy said:

Hey There Mark,

Just polished off my keg of Stone and wood clone. Not sure how much it tasted like the original, but was tasty. I used two H6, so I think the Galaxy will be whats missing here. Interestingly, my two home brew stores are both out of Galaxy. I have some Vic Secret, Mosiac, and Amarillo on order.

Regarding the hops addition, I have read that leaving them submerged for to long can produce some grassy flavours. 5 days in the droid and then transferring to the keg seems like a long time. Will look forward to how it turns out.

Agree with your comments in general however I’ve read on several occasions about putting hops in the keg. (Google gives a lot of info on this). I’ve never done it before so I thought if you don’t try, you won’t know. I don’t think I’ll ruin the brew however it could well be not to my liking. Time will tell and I’ll report accordingly, however I fear you may be right.🤭🤫

• 2 months later...
On 05/02/2020 at 8:09 PM, Barrelboy said:

Agree with your comments in general however I’ve read on several occasions about putting hops in the keg. (Google gives a lot of info on this). I’ve never done it before so I thought if you don’t try, you won’t know. I don’t think I’ll ruin the brew however it could well be not to my liking. Time will tell and I’ll report accordingly, however I fear you may be right.🤭🤫

Forgot to advise but no detrimental issues with time of hops in droid and keg. However don’t think I’ll do the keg bit again as think I got the most taste out when in the droid.

just kegged an English Bitter, replaced with another Stone and Wood, this a nice drop.

On 05/02/2020 at 7:46 PM, Percy said:

Hey There Mark,

Hi Percy, just wondering how your brewing is going. 
Put down a another Stone & Wood on 14/ 4 and just dry hopped. Decided to use 20g of simcoe pellets for a bit of a different outcome.

Hey There Mark,

Brewing has been going well. I ran out of brewprint ingredients and tried a Fresh Wort Kit and have been using them ever since. Have had some really good results. I have been using the kits from All Inn Brewing, splitting the kit between the two droids and using differnet hops and quantities to perfect to my taste buds. 

I did have one infected batch, which was disappointing. I put it down to bad yeast (Angel CS31 free with the kit), it is the only time I have used this type of yeast (have used CN36 with no issues), and was common across the split batches. I take notes, and am anal with cleaning and sanitising, so hoping it was the yeast and nothing I have done wrong. Ten years ago when I brewed using tins, I had one bad batch and did not brew again! I think having the keg setup made it a little easier, not having to dump and clean a bunch of bottles! Still devastating!

i finally re-tapped my Abbey Dubbell after months of conditioning. Very boozy, can feel it after one glass. Very drinkable now, but not for me, and I struggle to condition long enough at the best of times, so will not do again.

Tapped and bottled a Bombshell Blonde, very light in flavour, not beery enough for me. Keeping the bottles for goto when run out of everything else.

FYI, below are some of FWK's I have done:

Citra XPA dry hop 25gm Citra - Very nice, strong on the hops, conditioning required to mellow the flavours

Citra XPA no dry hop - Delicious, can drink with minimal conditioning

Mosaic XPA Dry hop 25gm Mosaic - Very nice, conditioning required to mellow the flavours

Mosaic XPA Dry hop 20gm Mosaic - Very nice, hops just right

Aus Pale Ale Dry Hop 25gm Vic Secret - infected

Aus Pale Ale Dry Hop 25gm Simcoe - infected

American IPA Dry Hop 24gm Citra and 25gm Centennial - Smelt and tasted amazing out of the fermenter, bottled and kegged, currently conditioning

Citra XPA Dry Hop 20gm - conditioning

Citra XPA no dry hop - conditioning

Currently have another Aus Pale Ale in both droids (using Saf US-05), to be dry hopped with either Galaxy, Simcoe, Vic Secret, or Cascade. I also have a Pale Lager kit there ready to go, but holding off due to longer lager ferment and conditioning, as consumption is exceeding production at this time.

Cheers,

Percy

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Top stuff and thanks for the top report. Bad luck about the infected brews and often hard to pin point the cause. But would suggest your cleaning/sanitising is ok otherwise would be in all batches. 
You’ve been fermenting some really nice brews. I enjoy the Vic Secret hops, not commonly know or used but provides delicious passion fruit/pineapple with a bit less punch than Galaxy.

This forum is coming along Well and we now have a Main thread “BrewArt Banter” for general stuff.

Cheers Mark