Kremlin Imperial Stout

Paul84

23 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Bottled The Kremlin today . Wont be touching one of these for atleast 3 months . Got 13 bottles in . 5 original RIS , 4 with 20ml of Makers Mark in ( not my favourite Bourbon but the tasting notes I desired... and smells delicious already) and 4 with Amrut Fusion ( a peated indian whisky) ... so far Amrut is gonna be a very experimental lol , all I can smell is smoke in the bottle haha. I think the ones with additions I will likely leave until I am doing my tax next year lol 

20191215_155609.jpg

Top job. I’d be sneaking one of the 5 RIS before 3 months, it leaves 4 -lol

Haha yeah my "plan" is 3 months minimum ( i will sample the whiskys but i think they will need longer to get the flavours to smooth and meld), somehow some plans never work . I am just thinking at 9.5% they might take a bit of time to smooth off . But I am at 3 brews all conditioning away , so not short of a drop atm . Plus I will put the Narci-Citrus on when I get off shift 😄

Edited by Paul84
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure it will be very drinkable in 3, but awesome in 5-6 months!  waiting, the hardest part.  that's where quick brews come into play like a 4.6 abv irish stout, which can be pretty tasty in 4 weeks including fermentation!  The waiting process got me to purchase another fermentation vessel last week, i have a white house porter going now, but t may be 6 weeks minimum since it has 6 oz honey in it!

Also converted my upright freezer into a temp controlled fermenter and lagering fridge. cost $68.00 USD.  Should have thought about that years ago!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Weissbock said:

I'm sure it will be very drinkable in 3, but awesome in 5-6 months!  waiting, the hardest part.  that's where quick brews come into play like a 4.6 abv irish stout, which can be pretty tasty in 4 weeks including fermentation!  The waiting process got me to purchase another fermentation vessel last week, i have a white house porter going now, but t may be 6 weeks minimum since it has 6 oz honey in it!

Also converted my upright freezer into a temp controlled fermenter and lagering fridge. cost $68.00 USD.  Should have thought about that years ago!

Yeah I will push it as long as it goes. And depending on how long I feel this conditioning process goes I might do myself an Annual Brew 🙂 . Fingers crossed its a quick 3 months ( i do have 2 holidays before then so should go quickly lol ) 

Exactly!  I've decided that I will buy a couple more fermenters and stagger my brewing by how long each takes to condition, hopefully keeping me with a nice selection of beers over the months... doppelbocks, imp stouts, porters, rye pale ales, trappest ales, etc.  I've rarely like drinking one style longer than a week at a time.   It's a small pain, but filtering your beers cuts down conditioning time and leads to longer shelf life!  ahhh... it only adds about 30 minutes to your kegging day, well worth it, except for ipas... they lose a lot of proteins and hop strength when filtered.  Larger % of steeping grains and hops will fix that however with enough  experimentation.  i filter only because i get gout with unfiltered stuff, bummer!

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

I wasn't brave enough to add any extras to my RIS batch this time round but definitely open to trying it in future!

I just have always enjoyed the barrel aged stouts so thought I would give it a run 🙂 . Not sure how good the amrut could be , being a peated scotch , i smelt it on addition and smelt like yesterdays campfire lol . It does have a stonefruit sweetness to it I hope comes to the brew . Just opened an original Kremlin and still so happy with how it drinks , damn me for liking the expensive ones haha.  Still cheaper then if I was buying loosies . 

20200103_162324.jpg

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I just have always enjoyed the barrel aged stouts so thought I would give it a run 🙂 . Not sure how good the amrut could be , being a peated scotch , i smelt it on addition and smelt like yesterdays campfire lol . It does have a stonefruit sweetness to it I hope comes to the brew . Just opened an original Kremlin and still so happy with how it drinks , damn me for liking the expensive ones haha.  Still cheaper then if I was buying loosies . 

20200103_162324.jpg

As it is a first up, I'd try a bottle maybe every 2 or 4 weeks, just to see the improvement as the stouts do improve markedly to the point that you think " I brewed that" and then you think "I'm a master effin brewer".

I mean I poured some of my Guinness to my Brother in Law ( a Paddy like me but far more travelled) at Xmas and his words were "It's close, I'll give you that but geez, that is a lovely stout, really nice...pass the bottle now"

5 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

As it is a first up, I'd try a bottle maybe every 2 or 4 weeks, just to see the improvement as the stouts do improve markedly to the point that you think " I brewed that" and then you think "I'm a master effin brewer".

I mean I poured some of my Guinness to my Brother in Law ( a Paddy like me but far more travelled) at Xmas and his words were "It's close, I'll give you that but geez, that is a lovely stout, really nice...pass the bottle now"

Personally mate , even at 2 weeks this beats the pants off some of the imperial stouts I have bought. The original has all the chocolate, toffee notes i expected , the MM brings the sultana sweetness . But damn i will brew this again . Wanna try the 4 leaf now to see if I can do a great 17 dollar brew. But this deserves to be brewed again . 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

Personally mate , even at 2 weeks this beats the pants off some of the imperial stouts I have bought. The original has all the chocolate, toffee notes i expected , the MM brings the sultana sweetness . But damn i will brew this again . Wanna try the 4 leaf now to see if I can do a great 17 dollar brew. But this deserves to be brewed again . 

Well that is excellent and that is why spending cash on Brewart is a good investment. There is nothing better than brewing something and thinking "got that beer covered"

• Upvote 1

These are not going to last 3 months haha . Amrut today which is a peated indian whisky . The top notes are all the stout and has the high alcohol and choc/coffee notes more pronounced in the stout , but with a subtle smokyness that is rather complimenting not overpowering . Soooo good , cannot wait.to store it in swing tops ( more for presentation ) 

20200104_162842.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tell me about it haha . Worst thing is all the bottle shops are closed tomorrow so I will have to indulge some more tomorrow haha . No no more stout until after . Will finish this pineapple crush then hopefully will be back at work and too busy to drink . 

I will say this however is NOT  a session beer haha . Its a tasty drink , but a heavy drink. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So reading through this post , I said MINIMUM of 3 months before sampling .... pretty sure I have 2 bottles of each left 🤣🤣🤣. This is a sensational beer, easily the best I have brewed . Having this at 10 weeks ( i am close to that 12 week mark) the alcohol flavor has subsided alot and the choc/coffee/burnt caramel flavor are at the forefront . I am seriously considering this as my Xmas present to the crew this year ( will have to order soon lol ) 

20200227_165423.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I am pretty sure I gave it the 24 hours after EOF as @Barrelboy stated. This is a cracking beer though , very very enjoyable. And with the high ABV heavy lol . My only wish was I went into swing tops , i went into plastic bottles and the few bottles I have left are losing carbonation 

18 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah I am pretty sure I gave it the 24 hours after EOF as @Barrelboy stated. This is a cracking beer though , very very enjoyable. And with the high ABV heavy lol . My only wish was I went into swing tops , i went into plastic bottles and the few bottles I have left are losing carbonation 

few bottles I have left are losing carbonation” do you need any further reason to drink them lol lol?

out of interest how many do you need to go to bed early? Ha ha