Kremlin Imperial Stout

Paul84

On 27/02/2020 at 5:45 PM, Paul84 said:

So reading through this post , I said MINIMUM of 3 months before sampling .... pretty sure I have 2 bottles of each left 🤣🤣🤣. This is a sensational beer, easily the best I have brewed . Having this at 10 weeks ( i am close to that 12 week mark) the alcohol flavor has subsided alot and the choc/coffee/burnt caramel flavor are at the forefront . I am seriously considering this as my Xmas present to the crew this year ( will have to order soon lol ) 

20200227_165423.jpg

Yep I totally agree mate, after bottling the RIS on 31/12/19 I tried one in Feb and thought "not bad". Now revisiting them in April and they taste fantastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

So have this in the droid now . And i may have made a little mistake 🤣. I Dry hopped this yesterday morning and I was hoping it was going to tell me EOF , however its pushed another 24 hours .... and today its decided EOF not yet either . So if its not tomorrow i am not sure what I am gonna do , i am planning to bottle this and needed yesterday as my bottling day . I am back to work on Monday . Its not really ramping the temps so inhope its just mopping up what it needs to. 

6 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So have this in the droid now . And i may have made a little mistake 🤣. I Dry hopped this yesterday morning and I was hoping it was going to tell me EOF , however its pushed another 24 hours .... and today its decided EOF not yet either . So if its not tomorrow i am not sure what I am gonna do , i am planning to bottle this and needed yesterday as my bottling day . I am back to work on Monday . Its not really ramping the temps so inhope its just mopping up what it needs to. 

Mmmm this is a strong brew and per the BrewPrint recipe can take 9 to 14 days for EOF. The hops being in early is no issue, can you check the fermentation status with a hydrometer?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Mmmm this is a strong brew and per the BrewPrint recipe can take 9 to 14 days for EOF. The hops being in early is no issue, can you check the fermentation status with a hydrometer?

Yeah i have a Hydrometer might give it a crack..i remember the first brew actually finished surprisingly early, i feel around the 9 or 10 day mark. But i suppose every brew is different. If only the app updated the brew notes with fermentation times and notes lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah i have a Hydrometer might give it a crack..i remember the first brew actually finished surprisingly early, i feel around the 9 or 10 day mark. But i suppose every brew is different. If only the app updated the brew notes with fermentation times and notes lol. 

Take reading now, tonight and first thing tomorrow, all the same then ok.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Captain 3 Droids said:

Take reading now, tonight and first thing tomorrow, all the same then ok.

Awesome cheers for that @Captain 3 Droids . That was going to be my question was your method.. is there a way for us to check the OG and the FG to work out the ABV of the beers , maybe after the 24 hours and start of fermentation ? I really need to get a test tube as i only have the hydrometer for now and dont feel like dropping it in the brew . I bought i forever ago and never actually used it 🤣

8 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Awesome cheers for that @Captain 3 Droids . That was going to be my question was your method.. is there a way for us to check the OG and the FG to work out the ABV of the beers , maybe after the 24 hours and start of fermentation ? I really need to get a test tube as i only have the hydrometer for now and dont feel like dropping it in the brew . I bought i forever ago and never actually used it 🤣

The OG check is done before the yeast is added and with the BrewArt method it can’t be done. The actual FG reading is not so important it  just needs to indicate no drop in the reading over time (usually 24hrs).

Now I would sanitise the hydrometer (and your hands), remove the lid and pop it gentle in. Note reading and also note if there are small bubbles to the surface indicating co2/fermentation. Remove hydrometer, replace lid and do a check later on. 

• Upvote 1

@Dustin Frothman, i have used 50gr of Centennial as the hop oil is Centennial apparently. Just thought i would shake it up a bit . I still think the Kremlin is the best beer I have made ( just not a session beer ) 

@Captain 3 Droids , i opened the lid and there is still bubbles. She is still cooking 🤣🤣🤣. Feel like i will be getting up early to bottle beers before work one day lol 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

@Dustin Frothman, i have used 50gr of Centennial as the hop oil is Centennial apparently. Just thought i would shake it up a bit . I still think the Kremlin is the best beer I have made ( just not a session beer ) 

Excellent, thanks mate.

I will probably do similar and add some cold brew espresso too. 😍

• Like 1

Just now, Dustin Frothman said:

Excellent, thanks mate.

I will probably do similar and add some cold brew espresso too. 😍

The cold brew coffee sounds like a great addition . Just wanted to see how the hops went. I hope i havent overdone it though by adding the hops so early ( was just predicting the EOF, which didnt pan out 🤦‍♂️)  . Tomorrow morning will be 48 hours lol. Dont want it to bitter either . 

3 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

The cold brew coffee sounds like a great addition . Just wanted to see how the hops went. I hope i havent overdone it though by adding the hops so early ( was just predicting the EOF, which didnt pan out 🤦‍♂️)  . Tomorrow morning will be 48 hours lol. Dont want it to bitter either . 

It should be ok. 

A good 3 months in secondary should sort out any off flavours anyway.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Dustin Frothman said:

It should be ok. 

A good 3 months in secondary should sort out any off flavours anyway.

Yeah i have plans to wax seal these after 6 weeks secondary lol . Then shelve them for a bit 😁

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

It takes a fair amount of time for dry hop to cause any substantial bitterness. Bitterness is generally achieved at the boiling stage of a recipe which we don’t need to do with the BrewPrint set ups.

People actually hang hop tubes in kegs to impart aroma and flavour. I’ve dry hopped for 6 days without issue. So hop away.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully all goes well and the hops play the game, i was conservative with the hops anyway being such a big beer, didnt want all the flavor 🤣 . This beer is planned to be a show and tell . Will be sending a couple of beers down to Perth to show some of my brothers/mates what can be done with the brewart. Plus the remaining bottles will be saves for a long maturation to see how they develop lol

Edited by Paul84
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

EF0CB99C-3A1E-494C-B10D-D4B538FDD268.thumb.jpeg.3737e556183d2d2aa9d8d2638d75e525.jpeg

Brewed the cold drip coffee for this one yesterday using my Dripster setup and it’s been in the fridge overnight. I need to measure it first but will throw in the Droid and then top up to 9L with filtered water.

Planning on dry hopping with 50g centennial as per @Paul84 above.

Once in secondary I probably won’t be touching this one until Christmas …

• Upvote 3

On 06/06/2021 at 10:30 AM, Paul84 said:

Hopefully all goes well and the hops play the game, i was conservative with the hops anyway being such a big beer, didnt want all the flavor 🤣 . This beer is planned to be a show and tell . Will be sending a couple of beers down to Perth to show some of my brothers/mates what can be done with the brewart. Plus the remaining bottles will be saves for a long maturation to see how they develop lol

Sampled one yet and some gone to Perth?

• Upvote 1

On 19/07/2021 at 4:38 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sampled one yet and some gone to Perth?

Hey Mark, sorry had the outlaws in town this week so I have been a very very busy bloke. I have sampled it, and although not sure if its gone as well as the last time I made it , its still by far " this is better then anything I can buy at the bottle shop" quality. I havent sent anything down to sample in Perth , dragging my heals with buying sealing wax. Though being they are still so young I am sure i could send them as is and it would be enjoyed down there ( plus its cold in Perth atm 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

On 18/07/2021 at 9:29 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

EF0CB99C-3A1E-494C-B10D-D4B538FDD268.thumb.jpeg.3737e556183d2d2aa9d8d2638d75e525.jpeg

Brewed the cold drip coffee for this one yesterday using my Dripster setup and it’s been in the fridge overnight. I need to measure it first but will throw in the Droid and then top up to 9L with filtered water.

Planning on dry hopping with 50g centennial as per @Paul84 above.

Once in secondary I probably won’t be touching this one until Christmas …

Man this is something i must do next time. That will turn out awesome :-O. Bottle swap for xmas lol 😉

• Like 1