Kremlin Imperial Stout

Paul84

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Paul, what a good idea, a Xmas bottle swap. If enough interested we could pair up. I’ll start the topic in the “Banter” thread.

I would be keen for sure. Would be interesting to see how they stack up against the rest 😉 . Might have to start bottling some more beers though 🤣

Primary fermentation was finished in 7 days. I decided against dry hopping this time round so will just use the hop oils as per the original recipe.

Will leave the brew in the Droid for an extra 48 hours. This is becoming my standard method as the results so far suggests it works well to prevent any Brewflo foaming.

• Upvote 1

FD823854-A006-49BD-AE74-FB2A8FF9BA7B.thumb.jpeg.9c99e050e306e7de22faa0762efbecee.jpeg

So I ended up leaving the brew in the Droid for an additional 6 days past the EOF notification at 7 days. See the “Beer is Foamy Every Time” thread for my blabbering about it there.

Anyway, it was well worth the wait. Straight out of the Droid this was smooth coffee stout as good as anything I’ve ever tried at a craft brewery in Australia.

I ended up drinking the entire tap clearing sample it was that good. Usually this glass would get a taste for quality control purposes and then be a sink pour. The wife drank half of it and agreed so I must be right. 😆

Can’t wait to revisit this in 4 to 6 months time when it’s ready.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

FD823854-A006-49BD-AE74-FB2A8FF9BA7B.thumb.jpeg.9c99e050e306e7de22faa0762efbecee.jpeg

So I ended up leaving the brew in the Droid for an additional 6 days past the EOF notification at 7 days. See the “Beer is Foamy Every Time” thread for my blabbering about it there.

Anyway, it was well worth the wait. Straight out of the Droid this was smooth coffee stout as good as anything I’ve ever tried at a craft brewery in Australia.

I ended up drinking the entire tap clearing sample it was that good. Usually this glass would get a taste for quality control purposes and then be a sink pour. The wife drank half of it and agreed so I must be right. 😆

Can’t wait to revisit this in 4 to 6 months time when it’s ready.

Looks nice and rich.

• 2 weeks later...

So I wax sealed a few bottles tonight that are going to Perth for samples. Good to know I can do it lol. However i found a dud in my batch . Was going to seal this one then noticed there was signs of bubbling . So i put it in the fridge and it was a sampler tonight ..

Was flat 😭. Nothing the sodastream couldnt fix. If this is the profile of the rest i am stoked. Chocolate base but with a boozy citrusy top note ( i thank to the hops and bourbon lol ). 

Will try one more tomorrow to male sure the rest arent flat and the profile is the same then my samplers will be going to Perth ( and i will wax seal the rest 🤣🤣🤣

20210812_140700.jpg

20210812_162600.jpg

20210812_162820.jpg

20210812_162842.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So I wax sealed a few bottles tonight that are going to Perth for samples. Good to know I can do it lol. However i found a dud in my batch . Was going to seal this one then noticed there was signs of bubbling . So i put it in the fridge and it was a sampler tonight ..

Was flat 😭. Nothing the sodastream couldnt fix. If this is the profile of the rest i am stoked. Chocolate base but with a boozy citrusy top note ( i thank to the hops and bourbon lol ). 

Will try one more tomorrow to male sure the rest arent flat and the profile is the same then my samplers will be going to Perth ( and i will wax seal the rest 🤣🤣🤣

20210812_140700.jpg

20210812_162600.jpg

20210812_162820.jpg

20210812_162842.jpg

Nice job on the bottles!

30 minutes ago, J P said:

Sure looks tasty!

better than the polski Baltic?

Truthfully i havent tried the Porter, but i am gonna say yes lol. No i think they will both be cracking beers and both being imperials would be packed full of flavor. I will do the Baltic Porter one day 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2021 at 9:43 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

The OG check is done before the yeast is added and with the BrewArt method it can’t be done. The actual FG reading is not so important it  just needs to indicate no drop in the reading over time (usually 24hrs).

Now I would sanitise the hydrometer (and your hands), remove the lid and pop it gentle in. Note reading and also note if there are small bubbles to the surface indicating co2/fermentation. Remove hydrometer, replace lid and do a check later on. 

Hey @Captain 3 Droids , was just having a look on the net and found this , would these be useful for looking at the ABV of the beers . Or @BrewArt Teamdo you know of anything out there in the world we can find an accurate(ish) ABV of the beers that we customise ( there are some advanced brewers here 😁

Screenshot_20210828-130500_Chrome.jpg

19 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Hey @Captain 3 Droids , was just having a look on the net and found this , would these be useful for looking at the ABV of the beers . Or @BrewArt Teamdo you know of anything out there in the world we can find an accurate(ish) ABV of the beers that we customise ( there are some advanced brewers here 😁

Yes this will measure the ABV and can measure the OG however again it needs to be wort prior to adding the yeast therefore not for the BrewPrint process unless you mix/dissolve the ingredients first. As I understand you can calculate the OG at the end of fermentation however maths/formulas are evolved and not easy to do.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids

39 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Yes this will measure the ABV and can measure the OG however again it needs to be wort prior to adding the yeast therefore not for the BrewPrint process unless you mix/dissolve the ingredients first. As I understand you can calculate the OG at the end of fermentation however maths/formulas are evolved and not easy to do.

Yeah from what I was reading you need a refractometer and a hydrometer. But yes seems to be a harder task. I dont mind the unknown as I dont generally drive when enjoying a beverage . However with some others sampling my beers they have asked from curiosity. 

4 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah from what I was reading you need a refractometer and a hydrometer. But yes seems to be a harder task. I dont mind the unknown as I dont generally drive when enjoying a beverage . However with some others sampling my beers they have asked from curiosity. 

But as a guide you can state BrewPrint recipe alcohol estimation. If using the ingredients it’s 1% for each E and X plus 0.5 for the brew.

• Upvote 1

G 'Day @Paul84,

As mentioned that fancy bit of kit is only accurate if alcohol is not present in solution. This is the bad boy you want if you want to calculate gravity with alcohol present: 

https://www.anton-paar.com/au-en/products/details/density-and-concentration-meter-easydens/

We calculate each Element and Enhancer as 1% ABV plus .5% for secondary fermentation.

However with Dry Malt Extract we have the benefit of predictability on our side. If calculating a Kremlin Imperial Stout there is 9 250gm Elements and Enhancers, which equals 2250gm of DME. 
2250g of DME into 9L of water is 1.095 S.G. so if you can take an accurate F.G. reading you should be able to calculate ABV. 

Cheers

10 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day @Paul84,

As mentioned that fancy bit of kit is only accurate if alcohol is not present in solution. This is the bad boy you want if you want to calculate gravity with alcohol present: 

https://www.anton-paar.com/au-en/products/details/density-and-concentration-meter-easydens/

We calculate each Element and Enhancer as 1% ABV plus .5% for secondary fermentation.

However with Dry Malt Extract we have the benefit of predictability on our side. If calculating a Kremlin Imperial Stout there is 9 250gm Elements and Enhancers, which equals 2250gm of DME. 
2250g of DME into 9L of water is 1.095 S.G. so if you can take an accurate F.G. reading you should be able to calculate ABV. 

Cheers

Awesome thats great @BrewArt Team, good feedback. An even more expensive toy too 😲😲😲. I do like @Captain 3 Droids ( and your) approx ABV. I will see if I can measure an FG of my kremlin. I am just interested as I laced each bottle with a 40% bourbon to make that lowbrow Barrel aged RIS flavor 😉. Cheers to all for the help 😁

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All bottled up on Day 11!

Beautiful dark elixir, even the tester was exquisite! And not particularly alcoholic tasting?

Got the monkey wrench out to make sure the PET bottles all got the extra quarter turn, and finished it up with some electrical tape to hopefully add a little more of a seal (and maybe delay me from drinking them all before they're at their peak!)

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Just out of interest, with the extra bit of turn people give the pet bottle tops with a multigrip, I found it was easy to turn it to the point the cap started to deform, so when that happened I backed it off so it didn't break or make a leak. Is there a sweet spot?

I just think the nip up with multi grips is enough, up to deforming the cap is a risk imo and my effect the caps reuse?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the dreg bottle with a movie last night just on 2 weeks, absolutely superb stuff already. Thinking I might try a full one in about a month. That boozy taste is definitely there, but it was still smooth, luscious and with huge amounts of chocolate and roasted aroma. Easily drank the big glass in too short an amount of time, even when trying to savour it. Next time I might pour multiple smaller glasses like a short black.

Had a bloody bastard of a time getting the cap off, so I reckon that should slow me down for drinking the next one.

Snapchat-436881248.thumb.jpg.2d18a7f5f0eaadd6ab838b4628e89e9b.jpg

• Upvote 1