Narci-Citrus

Paul84

28 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

The flavor is that that of the Narci citrus . Very hoppy with some good bitterness and a very caramel/banana flavor going with it too . And yep might as well be drinking cordial, not a bubble in sight lol 

That’s a pity however tastes ok. Finish glass pour with a good dash of soda water if you want a few bubbles.🍺

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Paul @Paul84

I am on the last few days for this brew. Viewing through the window it looks dark like your picture but can't help feel this should be a much lighter color. My first beer a Coopers XPA seemed darker than I would have thought and now I expect my Narci to come out dark like yours.

Do all beers come out similarly dark? I honestly expected this brew to be more of a golden color rather than brown.

I have the Pineapple Crush IPA next I really hope this is lighter color..

~Alan

BrewArt Narci-Citrus IPA.png

Hey mate , yeah the Narci citrus comes out quite dark. Has a real caramel flavor which would come from the X3 and that would also bring the colour with it . Its a tasty brew though , very hoppy and full body. I think the citrus is misleading but thats my opinion . I think i first called it a "caramel banana malt ale " 🤣. Good drinking though. The pineapple IPA is heaps lighter and much more like the IPA i think you and I expect them to be . Had a much greater sweetness and more of the citrus hoppy notes from memory ( i am due to brew it again 🤣) . Personal favourite for a pale ale is the coopers pale ale which if you follow Shemsheet get for 17 bucks , nice pale yellow colour and if you DH with some of the C hops give you the punch your tasting . Last one o was conservative with the hops and it was still great . Will put another brew on in a week and go to 60gr of hops to see how it goes . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey Paul, I see now the X3 is Rich Toffee with a moderate color. Never noticed this when putting the ingredients. Toffee definitely does not sit in my wheelhouse for an IPA. Very misleading name and picture for the brew.

I will be following the Schemsheet from now on. A lot cheaper and easier to determine what something might come out like.

Thanks

~Alan

It is a good beer still and dont think you will be disappointed and at 7.5% a few of these and you wont be too fussed what it tastes like 🤣 . I think its ment to be more like the traditional "British Style IPA" . I still remember first IPAs drinking they were heavy with bitter hops and a strong body . Something like the Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA would be similar to this i think. 

The pineapple crush will be awesome. I enjoyed mine , didnt last very long 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Does the massive amount of E5 gives the Narci the bitterness?

I have some loose ingredients. Might save the Pineapple Crush for another day. I really want to see if I can create a NEIPA style.

I will try this I think.

E5+E5 (maybe another E5)

X2+X2

H6+H6

My own Yeast to help make cloudy.

Dry hop with ton of Amarillo to help with the bitterness. Maybe some Citra as well

Hopefully a light cloudy fruity body with a nice kick at the end. Fingers crossed 🙂

~Alan

Now i am not at the stage to throw out suggestions for recipes 🤣🤣🤣. The amount of E5 in the narci citrus would be the bittering agent your correct . There is a recipe for Shemsheet for a Jedi juice if your keen to brew in a bag 😄 . I think above recipe would be a good start for a print , might just take some tweaking, hop blend sounds great 😄 . I do believe alot of hazy IPA's use oats to get the cloudiness. 

• Thanks 1

Easy done TBH . Im only now starting to realise what ingredients go well together. You start seeing patterns in brewprints. Also keen to do like yourself and Alan and start throwing a recipe together to make my own brew 😄 . Always appreciated guidance Mark , made my brewing journey easier 🤘

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I updated the firmware and put this brew on yesterday. Have ordered the new dry hop filter to try hopping directly into the Droid without the slight hassle of the stainless steel balls.

Am hoping that not only does this turn out to be a great brew but that the kegging process is a little simpler without the added volume in the vessel.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_7311.thumb.jpg.7ff1d61debad9760c3eb388f9c4f0d09.jpg

Unfortunately one of my keg liners burst after a few days in secondary. This could have been caused by a few issues. Fermentation took 18 days but may not have been completely finished.

Anyway, I managed to save a bit of beer. I didn't take a lot of care when doing this; literally just pouring it into some sanitised Brewart PET bottles and dumping a carb drop in each. It's probably a bit oxidised but waste not want not!

It's only 2 weeks old but I can tell this is going to be great with a bit more time. I tried 150 grams of hops as an experiment. It's hoppy, fruity and bitter. The body is great too.

Can't wait to tap the keg in a month.

Brewart were extremely generous and replaced the print for me so next time I'll dry hop exactly as per the recipe and note if there's any perceptible difference in light of the link I posted in the other thread that suggests any more than 8g/L of hops is a waste.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_2344.thumb.jpg.88ad3c952833c2ad5af74ddb5b498709.jpg

Tapped the keg at just over 5 weeks secondary.

Great body and really creamy head. The bitterness is still strong and the fruity notes are prominent. The caramel flavours Paul describes are stronger now too.

Will try to condition my next brew of this one at 6 and 8 weeks for comparison.

There's a couple of big games of football this weekend and football without beer is not much fun so this will make a great accompaniment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dustin, that beer looks great, love the dark colour. When you said 150g of hops , was that 100g of Citra and 50g of Mosaic? Haven't brewed one that has that true real IPA bitterness. Might do this next, also have the Mountain Range IPA in the cupboard to do.

Currently got the Legend "crankshaft clone" IPA in the droid. Hopping with 25g each of Ekuanot, Simcoe, Citra and Centennial.

13 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

When you said 150g of hops , was that 100g of Citra and 50g of Mosaic?

50g Citra and 100g Mosaic but the Brewart recipe quantities suggest the other way round.

It was really just an experiment to see what the filter could manage. I had a 100g vacuum sealed bag of Mosaic and don't yet own a sealing machine so didn't want the hops to spoil.

Next time I brew this one I'll do as per the standard recipe but either way this beer is big and bitter and very very enjoyable.

22 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Dustin, that beer looks great, love the dark colour.

IMG_2356.thumb.jpg.3df900318c1d632d0e159fd249845ebf.jpg

I think this picture shows the colour of the finished beer more accurately.

When you photograph a cold glass in a humid environment and put it against the black background of the Brewflo it makes the beer appear a little darker than it is.

• Upvote 2

Go to hear the Filter can take 150g of hops. I tried with my XPA at 75g of hops and it worked fine. Got a 100g in at the moment. 

Was thinking of buying a second filter and swapping over between kegs or Bottles. I agree about the photo. Same happened to me.

IMG_20201016_174547641.jpg

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

AA34706B-A69C-4A6B-A990-C3DC864CF4EC.thumb.jpeg.12975e3ff39075e8f895cf16f781d6c6.jpeg

286124AF-D79A-49AB-8D8A-38C0090215BE.thumb.jpeg.8e554f879c64e90f050ead029b970786.jpeg

My second go brewing the Narci-citrus IPA. I kept the dry hop quantities to the Brewprint recipe and this is the first keg after 8 weeks maturing.

Perfect pours from the Brewflo (excuse my less than stellar clean glassware) thanks to the extra 48 hours in the Droid.

Got to love how easy it is to relocate the Brewflo. The laundry is busy with brewing duties so to the kitchen bench it went. Try doing that with a kegerator!

Wife not impressed. Loves the beer though.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

AA34706B-A69C-4A6B-A990-C3DC864CF4EC.thumb.jpeg.12975e3ff39075e8f895cf16f781d6c6.jpeg

286124AF-D79A-49AB-8D8A-38C0090215BE.thumb.jpeg.8e554f879c64e90f050ead029b970786.jpeg

My second go brewing the Narci-citrus IPA. I kept the dry hop quantities to the Brewprint recipe and this is the first keg after 8 weeks maturing.

Perfect pours from the Brewflo (excuse my less than stellar clean glassware) thanks to the extra 48 hours in the Droid.

Got to love how easy it is to relocate the Brewflo. The laundry is busy with brewing duties so to the kitchen bench it went. Try doing that with a kegerator!

Wife not impressed. Loves the beer though.

All my beer gear is relegated to the back room lol. But not complaining. Its a safe space for me 🤣. I really really like the narci-citrus , its a great beer , I feel like I am overdue to do it again 🤘

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

In the Droid again today. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these.

Not sure if I’ll tweak the hop mix because I don’t think it needs it. At 75g for the standard recipe it’s almost at the sweet spot anyway.

This will be the first time I’ve served this Brewprint off my kegerator and as I’m now officially out of primers it’ll be carbonated with CO2 too.

10 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

In the Droid again today. It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these.

Not sure if I’ll tweak the hop mix because I don’t think it needs it. At 75g for the standard recipe it’s almost at the sweet spot anyway.

This will be the first time I’ve served this Brewprint off my kegerator and as I’m now officially out of primers it’ll be carbonated with CO2 too.

Looking at your hop list, have a look at doing 25g Ella, 20g Mosaic and 10g chinook?

• Thanks 1