Rob Courtney

Bottling with crown seal

Now, I have plastic fantastic and a lot of 750 mi. swing tops and an assortment of Grolsch bottles but I notice that an unnamed  forum member seems to have Crown seal bottles in his Mark. So, what is the benefit of Crown seal? I'm asking because I might have to come up with an idea for an Xmas present

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Now, I have plastic fantastic and a lot of 750 mi. swing tops and an assortment of Grolsch bottles but I notice that an unnamed  forum member seems to have Crown seal bottles in his Mark. So, what is the benefit of Crown seal? I'm asking because I might have to come up with an idea for an Xmas present

Crown seals (good ones) are easy to sanitise, put on (lever style capper or hand capper and hammer), don’t rust like in the past, hold pressure (seal tightens with carbonation pressure).

I have Coopers glass and good old Pickaxe long neck bottles of stout and dark ale that are 7yrs old and the crown seals are still doing the job.

• Thanks 1

Think I may have to get this for Xmas...or my b/day. People ask you what they can get you and you are like " I dunno, I'm not hugely materialistic ( don't own a mobile phone) but if I want something I can just go get it ) A capper system seems like a great idea

2 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

For glass, only way to go.

Fair enough. There is something about screw tops that make me unsure. Maybe it is the fizz content, head retention, being plastic, maybe all four reasons ;) but I can see me going down this path

Yeah i am shopping for some good glass bottles too. The brewflo will hold its place but it's hard to take to a social event haha . The plastic screams coopers kit and i think drinking from glass is heaps more enjoyable . Brewmart also sell empty browns for a good price . So now deciding if I want to try to wash and remove labels ( and enjoy the beer) from a few cartons or shell out for new stubbies 😄

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Why not build you bottle stocks up by having a few long necks. You better off enjoying a few and the brews already done get to mature a bit longer.

This is a very true and valid reasoning . I just dunno if I can go through the effort of scrubbing off all those labels. I am thinking a few Swanny D's wont go astray though 🙂

2 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

This is a very true and valid reasoning . I just dunno if I can go through the effort of scrubbing off all those labels. I am thinking a few Swanny D's wont go astray though 🙂

I wouldn’t worry about the labels they’ll come off it time.

• Haha 1

Thats also a fair point. I might have to start shopping then. Brewmart does 60 empties for 38 bucks . Just not sure how much or how hard postage will be . 

10 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Thats also a fair point. I might have to start shopping then. Brewmart does 60 empties for 38 bucks . Just not sure how much or how hard postage will be . 

Postage to where you are I wouldn’t expect to be cheap. What about people you know saving their bottles. Or the local pub, what do they do with the empties?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Postage to where you are I wouldn’t expect to be cheap. What about people you know saving their bottles. Or the local pub, what do they do with the empties?

Didnt think about asking the local pubs . Most ppl up here drink Tins, and mostly bush chook up here not as much culture lol . But i know a few guys who enjoy a drop so could always ask them to help out if they get chance to sample on occasion. 

• Upvote 1