Discussions about dry hopping are everywhere so thought I’d start up this thread for specific dry hop discussions. I prefer to dry hop with hop pellets. It is common to add the hops when fermentation is just about complete using a hop bag, hop ball or other item that will contain the pellets but allow leeching. 

With the droid this can be done when “ready to keg” is notified leaving the hops in for 24 to 48 hours of the ready to keg mode. However you can do it earlier on the downward spiral of fermentation so to speak. I look at the recipe profile or information from a previous brew of the recipe to ascertain a rough “ready to keg” time line and add the hops a few days before. Example a brew is predicted to finish fermentation in 8 days, then I’ll add the hops around day 6. If it’s longer than 8 days it is no big deal.

Anyway the thread is open for discussion, questions, information, outcomes etc.

• Like 1

Now you can also dry hop in the keg. As an experiment I dry hopped in the droid (Stone & Wood Pacific Ale) with galaxy then transferred the hop bag to a 10l stainless steel keg. You can also dry hop direct to a keg missing the droid application. I can see no reason why you could not add a hop bag (with say 10g of pellets for 5l keg) to the Brewflo kegs.

Need someone to try this. 

Hey Guys,

You might think I am crazy, but gonna give this a crack. I have a Coopers Sparkling Ale brewprint on the go and I am going to dry hop with 20g of Citra via hop bomb directly to the droid for 2 days at EOF. I notice the cans from the store have Pride of Ringwood on the labels, but I doubt I will get to a home brew store. I have the Citra on hand, and keen to experiment with dry hopping. 

I generally cold crash for 24 - 48 hours before kegging to 10l kegs. Unsure if I remove hop bomb prior to cold crash (risk infection), skip the cold crash, or leave in droid whilst crashing (risk over hopping). Thoughts?

Percy

1 hour ago, Percy said:

Hey Guys,

You might think I am crazy, but gonna give this a crack. I have a Coopers Sparkling Ale brewprint on the go and I am going to dry hop with 20g of Citra via hop bomb directly to the droid for 2 days at EOF. I notice the cans from the store have Pride of Ringwood on the labels, but I doubt I will get to a home brew store. I have the Citra on hand, and keen to experiment with dry hopping. 

I generally cold crash for 24 - 48 hours before kegging to 10l kegs. Unsure if I remove hop bomb prior to cold crash (risk infection), skip the cold crash, or leave in droid whilst crashing (risk over hopping). Thoughts?

Percy

Great your experimenting in hops. With the Sparkling Ale, your Citra plan will be fine.  Pride of Ringwood is something I’d leave alone for a while, it has its certain place.

If your using the droid, personally I don’t cold crash, don’t really see the point. Skip that and remove your hop bomb when ready to keg.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

If your using the droid, personally I don’t cold crash, don’t really see the point. Skip that and remove your hop bomb when ready to keg.

Speaking the truth there. Used to cold crash religiously for 4 days  and now I don't anymore and there is no difference to the clarity of the beer. The only difference was I waited 4 days longer to keg my beer

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Speaking the truth there. Used to cold crash religiously for 4 days  and now I don't anymore and there is no difference to the clarity of the beer. The only difference was I waited 4 days longer to keg my beer

So true. It’s a different story with a lot of all grain recipe brews that need to be cleaned up” (and then transferred to a serving keg leaving the crap behind) however the ingredients used here are clean and smooth so to speak. With the hop pellets the hop bags/bombs ect do a good job. There is very little sediment in the bottom of the keg when finished. In addition you cold crash in a way when you put your keg in the fridge and leave for a few days.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

So true. It’s a different story with a lot of all grain recipe brews that need to be cleaned up” (and then transferred to a serving keg leaving the crap behind) however the ingredients used here are clean and smooth so to speak. With the hop pellets the hop bags/bombs ect do a good job. There is very little sediment in the bottom of the keg when finished. In addition you cold crash in a way when you put your keg in the fridge and leave for a few days.

Yeah thats the truth . Never gone out of my way to cold crash from the droid . The trub at the bottom always seems to settle easy enough. And because i just do I always pull the keg liner and tip it down the sink , saves putting it in the bin with liquid . Always a little more sediment in there , but only a touch ... and i have found the 9 pints to start the keg come out clear , its only the last pint from the keg that can come out a little hazy ( but doesnt upset the flavor , just feel a little more full after drinking it 😉