Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

It will initially sink however when the pellets swell it will float to the top. Not a problem as it will then leach the hop flavour down through the brew. 

OK that makes sense.

So obviously the sock is literally more flexible with regards to the amount of hops that can be added to it, but perhaps a little messier and more time consuming to clean.

Are there any other functional issues to consider between the two methods other than personal preference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

OK that makes sense.

So obviously the sock is literally more flexible with regards to the amount of hops that can be added to it, but perhaps a little messier and more time consuming to clean.

Are there any other functional issues to consider between the two methods other than personal preference?

Good question, I use to only use the hop bag, however cleaning was a chore and sanitising the bag Pissed me off to be honest. However the ss bombs are great, easy to clean, simple to sanitise and do the job well. For large amounts the ss tube would be the go if the 300mm length fits which I think would. But 40 to 60g of hops, two bombs for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect, thanks Mark.

Simplicity sounds like the way to go for me. I've been pissed off with brewing before and my aim with the Brewart system is to keep it as simple and enjoyable as possible.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

For large amounts the ss tube would be the go if the 300mm length fits which I think would.

I've just measured up the Droid and looks like there's just enough headroom to fit the 300mm tube if it was sitting vertically.

Practically it should fall sideways in the brew and create more room for itself anyway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbed a couple of the larger hop balls/bombs from the brew shop today along with some Sodium Percarbonate.

I figured the tube can wait a while as it is difficult to find everything you need in stock simultaneously at Kegland to justify adding on the shipping cost.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2020 at 9:46 AM, Barrelboy said:

Discussions about dry hopping are everywhere so thought I’d start up this thread for specific dry hop discussions. I prefer to dry hop with hop pellets. It is common to add the hops when fermentation is just about complete using a hop bag, hop ball or other item that will contain the pellets but allow leeching. 
 

With the droid this can be done when “ready to keg” is notified leaving the hops in for 24 to 48 hours of the ready to keg mode. However you can do it earlier on the downward spiral of fermentation so to speak. I look at the recipe profile or information from a previous brew of the recipe to ascertain a rough “ready to keg” time line and add the hops a few days before. Example a brew is predicted to finish fermentation in 8 days, then I’ll add the hops around day 6. If it’s longer than 8 days it is no big deal.

Anyway the thread is open for discussion, questions, information, outcomes etc.

Barrelboy - I have an APA on the go and will be my first crack at Dry Hopping and my question is when you add the hops a couple of days before before the end of fermentation do you add the liquid hops from the brewprint at the same time or after fermentation has finished?

Thanks

 

Mick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mick said:

Barrelboy - I have an APA on the go and will be my first crack at Dry Hopping and my question is when you add the hops a couple of days before before the end of fermentation do you add the liquid hops from the brewprint at the same time or after fermentation has finished?

Thanks

 

Mick

Hi Mick. I only do either, that is the hop pellets or the liquid. If kegging hop liquid to be added to the kegs when ready to fill (they will infuse during the carbonation period etc) if bottling add to the droid.

Of course you can do both (pellets and liquid), if doing that do both at the same time.

Cheers

Edited by Barrelboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ok so correct me if i'm wrong when dry hopping in the droid there is no need to add the liquid hops then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mick said:

Oh ok so correct me if i'm wrong when dry hopping in the droid there is no need to add the liquid hops then?

No not really unless you want stronger hop flavour or to use the liquid hop sachet up. You can keep the liquid sachets for future use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Brewers, i've just been experimenting with dry hops on the last couple of brews and can't wait to try. I cold crashed the first brew i did with the Fruit of the Woods IPA but reading this post i probably don't need to and it let's me get the next brew on a bit sooner. In this brew i added El Dorado, Amirillo, Saaz and Simcoe. 

I love my fruity flavours so I added galaxy and citra hops to the Coopers Session Ale. I'll do a taste test in 4 weeks.

By the smell of these beers when bottling i'm hoping for a great result.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bert said:

Hi Brewers, i've just been experimenting with dry hops on the last couple of brews and can't wait to try. I cold crashed the first brew i did with the Fruit of the Woods IPA but reading this post i probably don't need to and it let's me get the next brew on a bit sooner. In this brew i added El Dorado, Amirillo, Saaz and Simcoe. 

I love my fruity flavours so I added galaxy and citra hops to the Coopers Session Ale. I'll do a taste test in 4 weeks.

By the smell of these beers when bottling i'm hoping for a great result.

Galaxy and Citra hops are a great addition to the Session Ale, I’d say you will really enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

A very interesting article on dry hopping and diminishing returns for brews hopped greater than 8g /L.

Perhaps the 5/10/15 rule for dry hopping needs a rethink? 

http://brulosophy.com/2019/06/24/investigating-the-dry-hop-saturation-point-exbeeriment-results/?fbclid=IwAR1nrlkabJ_laml9MYL4TRsqph32plRCodzQ8Y8l2bOYxotIIAZ8SPH8hAQ

 

Very interesting, when you think about it there must be a saturation point. So BrewArt’s dry hopping of mainly 2 x 25g packs equaling 5g a litre is a good selection.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those not aware of the “rule” it is as follows and supported by some brewers as a matter of fact rather than anything else to support it (that I can find).

5g/L for pales

10g/L for IPAs

15g/L for IIPAs

My preference is 2.5gl (25g/10l) for general ales and lager, 5g/l (50g/10l) for that “want a bit more” but will now add  8g/l (80g/10l) for any extra hop boost.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

For those not aware of the “rule” it is as follows and supported by some brewers as a matter of fact rather than anything else to support it (that I can find).

5g/L for pales

10g/L for IPAs

15g/L for IIPAs

My preference is 2.5gl (25g/10l) for general ales and lager, 5g/l (50g/10l) for that “want a bit more” but will now add  8g/l (80g/10l) for any extra hop boost.

Mark, you've been brewing for a while, is there a point where you don't just say "looks like more experimenting?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Mark, you've been brewing for a while, is there a point where you don't just say "looks like more experimenting?"

No, there is ways something, equipment, processes, brewing. A continual learning curve where sometimes experimentation is needed to support your endeavours. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

I have the Hopsessed in the droid at the moment and noticed that 14hrs ago it dropped temp to 4c. I'm using a hop sock/bag, I assuming the unit is cold crashing to allow sediment to settle.

Considering I'm using the hop sock and keen to bottle today do I need to wait any longer I'm assuming because it is cold crashing ferementaion has finished, correct??

Thanks Mick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi all

I have the Hopsessed in the droid at the moment and noticed that 14hrs ago it dropped temp to 4c. I'm using a hop sock/bag, I assuming the unit is cold crashing to allow sediment to settle.

Considering I'm using the hop sock and keen to bottle today do I need to wait any longer I'm assuming because it is cold crashing ferementaion has finished, correct??

Thanks Mick

 

If the hops/sack has been in at least 24hrs then go ahead and bottle. ( I assume you put them in at end of fermentation, has sat 48hrs in keg mode thus why now going to storage mode.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark

I put the hops in when I got the Hop notification which was Thurs night. I never got a "ready to keg" notification though. Just checking my phone app and it still says ferment mode but has dropped to 4c?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...