Jump to content
Will Powell

Molasses in brewing

Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried using molasses in a brew? 

 

Obviously it'll darken the color, and maybe up the sweetness as it's not all fermentable, but does would it add much depth and flavor, do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, in my stout brewing days, 200 to 250g per 23l batch. This was mixed in just after the boiling stage of biab (brew in a bag for those that don’t know). Added a depth of colour, sweetness and mouthfeel to the stouts. More often than not I’d use brown sugar instead,  fermentable and better for head retention. With the molasses 100g of maltodextrin helped in this area.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Yes, in my stout brewing days, 200 to 250g per 23l batch. This was mixed in just after the boiling stage of biab (brew in a bag for those that don’t know). Added a depth of colour, sweetness and mouthfeel to the stouts. More often than not I’d use brown sugar instead,  fermentable and better for head retention. With the molasses 100g of maltodextrin helped in this area.

Cool. Thanks for that.

 

I've put 56g of Blackstrap molasses and the same of maltodextrin into the Dusk Cerveza Brewprint. Might end up being too sweet after fermentation I suppose. If that's the case I'll add some hops to the kegging maybe?

 

We'll see what happens! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

Cool. Thanks for that.

 

I've put 56g of Blackstrap molasses and the same of maltodextrin into the Dusk Cerveza Brewprint. Might end up being too sweet after fermentation I suppose. If that's the case I'll add some hops to the kegging maybe?

 

We'll see what happens! 

Suspect it will be sweet as the Brewprint ended up somewhat sweet. Not a lot of molasses but H1 or H2 dry hop with citrus and bitter finish should help this one. How did you add the molasses and maltodextrin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Suspect it will be sweet as the Brewprint ended up somewhat sweet. Not a lot of molasses but H1 or H2 dry hop with citrus and bitter finish should help this one. How did you add the molasses and maltodextrin?

Dissolved them straight into the water before adding the yeast and packages.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2020 at 10:16 AM, Will Powell said:

Dissolved them straight into the water before adding the yeast and packages.

 

Hi Will, think you probably have kegged/bottle this one. How did it look, smell and did you have a taste?

Cheers Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Hi Will, think you probably have kegged/bottle this one. How did it look, smell and did you have a taste?

Cheers Mark

Kegged it just a couple of days ago actually. Seemed to take quite a while to finish fermenting and there was noticeably a lot more crud in the bottom of the droid after kegging. I’m sure it’s got a technical name. 😉

 

Taste was good and not as sweet as I expected. There’s still some bitter in there so I didn’t add any hops to the kegs. Was also dark-ish, but not porter like. First impressions at this stage is that at least I didn’t overdo the molasses.

I’m going to give it at least a 6 week period before tapping I think. No idea why, just that so far the 2 week suggested time seems to end up being a little ‘thin’. The Aztec I recently did certainly benefited from an additional 2 weeks.

FC0B233A-4F2F-43B0-9625-E00DAD860216.jpeg

Edited by Will Powell
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

Kegged it just a couple of days ago actually. Seemed to take quite a while to finish fermenting and there was noticeably a lot more crud in the bottom of the droid after kegging. I’m sure it’s got a technical name. 😉

 

Taste was good and not as sweet as I expected. There’s still some bitter in there so I didn’t add any hops to the kegs. Was also dark-ish, but not porter like. First impressions at this stage is that at least I didn’t overdo the molasses.

I’m going to give it at least a 6 week period before tapping I think. No idea why, just that so far the 2 week suggested time seems to end up being a little ‘thin’. The Aztec I recently did certainly benefited from an additional 2 weeks.

FC0B233A-4F2F-43B0-9625-E00DAD860216.jpeg

Sounds good. 6 to 8 weeks is a good start. Like your brewing chart, have a Czech Pilsner in a droid as well, top drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Sounds good. 6 to 8 weeks is a good start. Like your brewing chart, have a Czech Pilsner in a droid as well, top drop.

As I’m now pretty much unemployed this seemed like a better use of the whiteboard in my office. 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Sounds good. 6 to 8 weeks is a good start. Like your brewing chart, have a Czech Pilsner in a droid as well, top drop.

Did you just use the brewprint for the Pilsner, or are you altering it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

Did you just use the brewprint for the Pilsner, or are you altering it?

I use the Brewprint ingredients accept for the hops, I dry hop with 20g of Czech Saaz pellets in a reusable hop bag. Dropped that in on day seven, now on its 9th day, expect to keg Friday or Saturday.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

Now I need to google Dry Hopping. 

 

That might be a rabbit hole I'm not ready to go down just yet.

There’s a fair bit on here about it, go to main threads, under “Advanced Brewing...” you’ll find topic “dry hopping

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Will Powell said:

Now I need to google Dry Hopping. 

 

That might be a rabbit hole I'm not ready to go down just yet.

 

Yep, space ain't mans final frontier, bloody dry hopping is

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

 

Yep, space ain't mans final frontier, bloody dry hopping is

Just to give you a picture of my hop stock varieties (for known and experimentation). Makes brewing more fun.

image.png.99cf054856e31f635ca1af1cff524ed3.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2020 at 10:48 PM, Barrelboy said:

I use the Brewprint ingredients accept for the hops, I dry hop with 20g of Czech Saaz pellets in a reusable hop bag. Dropped that in on day seven, now on its 9th day, expect to keg Friday or Saturday.

Hey Barrelboy,

I'm new to the BeerDriod process and interested in trying dry hopping at some point. It looks like from most of the dry hop forum responses, dry hops are added with about 48 hours left in the first fermentation. How do you identify the particular brewing profile to know when you have sufficient time remaining to add the dry hops? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BRYON BILLMAN said:

Hey Barrelboy,

I'm new to the BeerDriod process and interested in trying dry hopping at some point. It looks like from most of the dry hop forum responses, dry hops are added with about 48 hours left in the first fermentation. How do you identify the particular brewing profile to know when you have sufficient time remaining to add the dry hops? 

Hi Bryon, Mark here and welcome. Initially I would add the hops when the droid advised that fermentation had finished and was ready to keg, leaving them in there for 24hrs. However now having done particularly brews are number of times I have recorded the days when fermentation has completed so I now add a day before the predicted finish is due. It is not 100% accurate but if the hops are in for a couple of days, no harm or detrimental effects.

If you advise what brew I could let you know a predicted fermentation finished based on my records if you don’t want to the droid “tied up” for 24hrs. (other than time for next brew no harm in leaving)

Please feel free to ask away with any questions ect, good mob here to assist.

Cheers Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark!

I'm brewing my first pale ale right now so it may be a bit before I experiment but i'll definitely get back with you.

I appreciate the quick response. Cheers!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2020 at 6:18 PM, Barrelboy said:

Hi Will, think you probably have kegged/bottle this one. How did it look, smell and did you have a taste?

Cheers Mark

I’ve just tapped the keg on this one (8weeks) and it’s SUPER interesting.

It pours with a massive, thick head which settles out and is very dark.

 

It’s definitely on the sweeter side but has almost a Belgian / Trappist tone to the flavor. It’s got a deep mouthfeel and is very rich.

 

Its unfortunate we’re just getting to summer because it tastes like a winter brew, but I’m really happy with this one.

 

673F80B6-8327-4C13-A9C9-0F582827DDC4.jpeg

Edited by Will Powell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Will Powell said:

I’ve just tapped the keg on this one (8weeks) and it’s SUPER interesting.

It pours with a massive, thick head which settles out and is very dark.

 

It’s definitely on the sweeter side but has almost a Belgian / Trappist tone to the flavor. It’s got a deep mouthfeel and is very rich.

 

Its unfortunate we’re just getting to summer because it tastes like a winter brew, but I’m really happy with this one.

 

673F80B6-8327-4C13-A9C9-0F582827DDC4.jpeg

You’ll probably find the head will be less after the first couple of pours. If your not doing it I find with a bit extra carbonation if I tilt the glass at nearly 90 degrees to the tap and slowly straight as it hits the lip the head will be reduced quite a bit. Plus very cold glasses. 
It certainly looks good and the molasses would give that Trappist tone to the flavour.

Cheers Mark

Not to late to brew another if you rate it highl6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...