Pacific pale ale

Shawn McKee

Hi , Just bottled a Pacific pale ale from beerdroid. Got caught with the FE Error which was explained to me by Rob Nd Barrelboy. Problem being is I restarted the brew before I knew the answer. Rookie error.

I think now the beer is off as I can smell a metallic odor. I  constantly sanitize probley more then I should. Should I ditch now or wait?

Thx for the advice.

Cheers,

Shawn

20200117_124439.jpg

4 hours ago, Shawn McKee said:

Hi , Just bottled a Pacific pale ale from beerdroid. Got caught with the FE Error which was explained to me by Rob Nd Barrelboy. Problem being is I restarted the brew before I knew the answer. Rookie error.

I think now the beer is off as I can smell a metallic odor. I  constantly sanitize probley more then I should. Should I ditch now or wait?

Thx for the advice.

Cheers,

Shawn

20200117_124439.jpg

Well nothing wrong from your photo. Metallic odour could well be Co2 from fermentation. You have bottled it, so good. Did you taste the brew, good to do if worried but I say all is good. Let us know when you crack a bottle.

Hi Barrelboy, after the f$%k up of FE error bottled @ 11am today. Tasted like flat beer but smelt like vinegar, metallic, acidic smell. Have had this with the lbk on pale ale, nd honestly I thought the yeast was off? 

I am not a 100% sure but could that mean that something isn't sealing properly or I haven't sanitized the unit properly? 

I did use a beerdroid cleaner plus sanitizer and the unit fully cleaned out. No overhanging water anywhere. 

Difference is the beerdroid is temp controlled as the lbk wasn't. 

Thanks in advance,

Shawn 

2nd pacific ale started this arvo. Cleaned with morgans sanitizer with hose and spray. No beerdroid cleaner tablet.

Same recipe, same everything but yet this yeast has kicked like a #MF. 

Bottled a narci 7.5% a week  ago and  no dramas.

Tasted today,  a bit young but really good carbonation but not much head yet  and a  no home brew headache. Will try another 1 next week and see how it turns out.

As always still a rookie in this beer game just trying to expand my knowledge with the help of others.

Followed the BREWPRINT to a tea.

Cheers,

Shawn

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I just don't think you can go wrong doing the Brewprints, they are really nice beers, even the cheapest ones are still very good. Remember we all started at the beginning of our beer journeys so there are always going to be a few mistakes as you find your path to beer salvation. My first three brews were OK, not bad but I was a little disappointed. Not that I told my wife, I'd basically coughed up a grand +, I wasn't going to complain but my 4th brew, which was a Belgian...the smile on my face, I had done it, I was brewing something I felt was better than what I was able to buy.

The best piece of advice I can give is to let the beers age if you can. Liam said 8 weeks was the first sweet spot and he is right, it can get better and it is still drinkable before but around that mark, it gets very nice

• Upvote 1

Funny you say that Rob you coughed up $1000+ for the beerdroid. I contemplated a cheap arse fridge that I have to carry with me when I move or a beerdroid x2 while on special @$629.00 seems to work better then some Samsung products don't get me started.

I took the beerdroid x2 as I can move any where I have power or a generator. So far impressed and happy with my decision. Did have a problem with the seal but liam fixed that situation for me.

The only real issue I see atm is why is the brewprints are not broken up as people don't always need the primer and sanitizer tablets.

Say Pacific pale ale $34.00 buy separately $24.00.

Just a gd price comparison but you probably already know this.

Great to talk to you again Rob and thanks for your beer wisdom.

Cheers,

Shawn

36 minutes ago, Shawn McKee said:

The only real issue I see atm is why is the brewprints are not broken up as people don't always need the primer and sanitizer tablets.

Cheers,

Shawn

Oh my man can I introduce you to this spreadsheet.

So, this spreadsheet helps make it easy to make orders with just what you want, have a wander around it, it has what hops pouches = what hops, what the elements are etc

Shems cheat sheet - July 2019 (5).xlsx

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Interesting comment that resonates with me, the Coopers cans I brewed, I have always gotten a headache from, makes sense now.

Interesting also. I’ve been drinking Coopers home brews for many, many years (don’t want to work out 🤫) and never had a headache issue. Lucky I guess as don’t get hangovers accept with port but that’s a different story.

8 hours ago, Shawn McKee said:

Funny you say that Rob you coughed up $1000+ for the beerdroid. I contemplated a cheap arse fridge that I have to carry with me when I move or a beerdroid x2 while on special @$629.00 seems to work better then some Samsung products don't get me started.

I took the beerdroid x2 as I can move any where I have power or a generator. So far impressed and happy with my decision. Did have a problem with the seal but liam fixed that situation for me.

Cheers,

Shawn

One real bonus with the droids vs fermentation fridge is if you have 2 or more droids you can ferment at different temperatures at the same time, eg ale at 17C and a lager at 12C. You need two fridges for this or do one at a time. Plus there is also the fact you can cool the fermented brew down to 4C. (Automatically, handy if away).

A lot of us just buy the ingredients, 1) a cost saving 2) don’t get what is not needed - primer, cleaning tab 3) no bulky boxes (they do look good) 4) you can experiment, do other recipes, add extra, take away etc.

The spread sheet is great and you can add your own recipes to it. 

8 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh my man can I introduce you to this spreadsheet.

So, this spreadsheet helps make it easy to make orders with just what you want, have a wander around it, it has what hops pouches = what hops, what the elements are etc

Shems cheat sheet - July 2019 (5).xlsx 186.09 kB · 1 download

Thx Rob,

This is an awesome spreadsheet.

Makes for a great forum when yourself and barrelboy can help out.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Shawn McKee said:

Hi Barrelboy, after the f$%k up of FE error bottled @ 11am today. Tasted like flat beer but smelt like vinegar, metallic, acidic smell. Have had this with the lbk on pale ale, nd honestly I thought the yeast was off? 

I am not a 100% sure but could that mean that something isn't sealing properly or I haven't sanitized the unit properly? 

I did use a beerdroid cleaner plus sanitizer and the unit fully cleaned out. No overhanging water anywhere. 

Difference is the beerdroid is temp controlled as the lbk wasn't. 

Thanks in advance,

Shawn 

The smells may go away or lessen as the brew matures. There can be a number of reasons but one to watch for is “wild yeasts”. They are in the air everywhere and settle downwards (in other words they don’t crawl along like bacteria).  So don’t leave the droid uncovered for any length of time, if you have to go away during preparation of the recipe just put the lid on top. Try not to prepare your brewing wort with a window/ breeze.

Now, sanitisation. 1) Are you sanitising the underneath of the lid? During fermentation condensation usually occurs and can/will drip back into the brew. If not sanitised could cause an infection. 2) are you pulling the tap apart, cleaning and sanitising? 3) the bung? 4) cleaning up the tap spigot, I push a clean wet chux wipe through it 5) are you sanitising your hands? Easily forgotten 6) sanitising every thing you use to make the wort.

What are you using for sanitising if not already stated Starsan is a top product and a spray bottle with this in it is your best friend. Are you familiar with it? 

Cheers Mark, Hope covered most things and we are all here to help.

14 hours ago, Shawn McKee said:

2nd pacific ale started this arvo. Cleaned with morgans sanitizer with hose and spray. No beerdroid cleaner tablet.

Same recipe, same everything but yet this yeast has kicked like a #MF. 

Bottled a narci 7.5% a week  ago and  no dramas.

Tasted today,  a bit young but really good carbonation but not much head yet  and a  no home brew headache. Will try another 1 next week and see how it turns out.

As always still a rookie in this beer game just trying to expand my knowledge with the help of others.

Followed the BREWPRINT to a tea.

Cheers,

Shawn

Hey Mate , do as Rob said and push the conditioning of the Narci-Citrus as long as you can . I found after 2 weeks was still very malt heavy and not much hop flavor . I got 2 6 weeks with my first brew of it and the flavors were great. Nice citrus punch from the hops with a Banana/Caramel sweetness underneath. Didnt last much longer then that haha . This brew I have finished now will get to 8-12 weeks before I crack it to see if it improves again . If you have 2 droids starting to get a surplus of kegs/bottles makes it easier to hold off on opening the younger beers haha. Second droid is on my to do list this year haha .

Just as a side note Mark and Rob have both been the biggest help on this forum, worlds of knowledge and have given me multiple ideas to get through this year haha

Thx for the reply Barrelboy, Rob and Paul.

I went and bought some starsan this am and some hops for future brews.

I have 1 Narci left 2 Mountain ipa left and just brewing my last Pacific pale ale.

Also have mr beer all current worts from coopers oz website, 1 morgans lager 1.7kg can and a coopers ipa.

Currently only using 1 droid atm as to not waste product if done incorrectly.

Barrelboy I sterlize everything in my coopers fv with lid on and with luke warm water.

To be honest i think i will know better after i bottle this next pacific ale and see if they smell the same, then and only then will I get my answer me thinks.

Cheers Lads.

• Upvote 2

Today I cleaned my LBK x 2 coopers fv 23ltr with starsan and this stuff seems to be really good. Clean again 2 morrow as I will get 1 mr beer with 8.5ltrs of spring water and use the other 1.5LTR for the light dry malt and dextrose. Leave it sit a couple of days as qld will be  34 degrees this week before I hatch the yeast.

Thanks 

25 minutes ago, Shawn McKee said:

Today I cleaned my LBK x 2 coopers fv 23ltr with starsan and this stuff seems to be really good. Clean again 2 morrow as I will get 1 mr beer with 8.5ltrs of spring water and use the other 1.5LTR for the light dry malt and dextrose. Leave it sit a couple of days as qld will be  34 degrees this week before I hatch the yeast.

Thanks 

Good stuff. Personally I wouldn’t use the dextrose as I believe it adds to that “tang home brew taste”. Add extra malt.

Now Starsan is great and is reusable, so don’t toss it.

Now if you talking about the 23l plasict fermenters, don’t have to wait if you have a laundry sink or a large tub/esky the fv will sit in. Freeze a 2lt plus drink bottle, put the fermenter in a large garbage bag (protects the tap), put in the sink etc and fill half way with water, drop in the frozen drink bottle. You’ll be surprised how good this work. Obviously the trick is to have another frozen bottle so you can keep changing over.

Edited by Barrelboy

As always Barrelboy much appreciated in the comments. I suppose I am just trying to plan  ahead when I use mr beer wort. Can I  set the mr beer wort and light dry malt 500gr  in a LBK b4  I pitch the  yeast a couple of days before hand with cold spring water?  I only see pacific pale ale going maybe 2 days more.

Thx for your awesomeness,

Cheers Brother

• 2 weeks later...

Mr beer little brown keg 8.5 litre. Different from coopers craft kit. Check oz and usa site. Is a coopers brand.

Just finished the pacific pale ale and bottled 27/01/20.

Will leave 4,  2 weeks. Cleaned beerdroid same day and used starsan, this stuff is amazing!

Just started mountain range ipa and I done this as a custom, propagate 24dc, ferment 19dc, keg 18dc, no dry hop yet, cold crash 4dc.

The propagating went ballistic and started to overflow slightly which I am happy to see. Tells me yeast is good so therefore the beer should ferment rather quickly.

Just an update atm. Will try 1st batch of pacific pale ale this weekend, then try 2nd batch next weekend.

All the best lads and keep up the replies.

• 2 months later...

Thought I’d commented in this thread before but search says different. So this is the first time:-

Brewprint Session Ale kegged 8/03/2019 into ss ball lock keg. Fridge 16/03, force carbonated 17/03, fridge and co2 connected at serving pressure. 18/03 test - brilliant just like Coopers Session Ale out of the bottle. Very impressed. In the photo brewprint on the left, on the right is a pint of cloned Coopers Session Ale brewed at 23 litres the traditional way. It is a very nice brew, enjoyable but the BrewPrint wins. Wife picked it from a blind taste test.

77254170-0C17-429E-890D-D4E32C045CF7.jpeg.75f8c752e247a7046be6e1957a218faf.jpeg

Now I’ve just kegged a new batch 29/3/20 so will see how that goes.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

3 weeks in and what a top drop, better than on tap in a pub, better than Coopers bottled. Fresh, crisp, citrusy with subtle bitter finish. I’ve brewed a few from the Coopers kit recipe but the Brewprint wins.

image.thumb.jpg.6c11717469ffe5ec93bc1ba51323fd4f.jpg

I actually don't mind this beer on tap, happy to hear it tastes better as a Brewprint. Now starting to weigh up whether I don't brew an English Draught and move things round to make a session ale, just means I will have an X3 left when I make an Irish Red Ale next order.

Really going to have to double check I can do this, think I can.

Maybe next time I don't do an order drunk and think about what I want

• Upvote 1