Robs "Golden Balls" Lager

Nearly 11 daysbrewing now, surely tonight is the night. It has been sitting around 17 or 18 for the last five days so it can't be too far away...

Given I thought Friday was the day it'd turn over to ready to keg, I dry hopped early thinking to myself " then I can do that for 2 days and fill some bottles Sunday night", so even if it goes through tonight, might leave the hop ball in for a third day (10gs each of Hersbrucker and Saaz) and then leave the brew til Tuesday to bottle 

8 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Damn it, still hasn't got to RTK

How long is too long to leave the hops in?

No problems with leaving them for days (done 6 days before) without problems and in most cases mine are in for 2 days. To reassure note that a lot of ss keg brewers hang a hop ball from the underside of the keg lid. This is in there for weeks if not months.

The flavour and aroma should intensify.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Hooray, back up and running again.

Glad your Special Brew has turned out so well. Sharing the recipe? You don’t have to, or do you?

Ha ha Rob, you have two topic headings for this one, your recipe is in thread “Robs’ Special Brew”. I thought I was going mad for a second when you quoted the recipe of 1/4/20, but it’s you that’s mad. 😂 

9 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Ha ha Rob, you have two topic headings for this one, your recipe is in thread “Robs’ Special Brew”. I thought I was going mad for a second when you quoted the recipe of 1/4/20, but it’s you that’s mad. 😂 

I may have been nicely inebriated when I did that, so drunk that I may have quipped in an email that their newest brew was created :)

Ahh the old don't create anything whilst drunk thing.

• Haha 1

Must admit though, have had a few bottles of this and thought it drank really well just after 4 weeks. I am starting to really appreciate how good the flavours are in an early lager.

The recipe was The recipe was 1 X E1 2 X E5 2 x X2, y9 and 12gms of Saaz and 12 of Hersbrucker. Ended up being 5 days worth of dry hopping, It was pointed out to me that it was a lager version of Golden Days of Summer Ale

43 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Must admit though, have had a few bottles of this and thought it drank really well just after 4 weeks. I am starting to really appreciate how good the flavours are in an early lager.

The recipe was The recipe was 1 X E1 2 X E5 2 x X2, y9 and 12gms of Saaz and 12 of Hersbrucker. Ended up being 5 days worth of dry hopping, It was pointed out to me that it was a lager version of Golden Days of Summer Ale

Yes, Golden Days lager however the hops do give it a distinct difference. Golden uses galaxy. I’ll give your special a go as enjoy Saaz and hersbrucker hops.

• Upvote 1

On 21/05/2020 at 8:40 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Put this one down today and hope you don’t mind but I’ve named it “Rob’s Special Golden Lager” 

• Upvote 1

OK, having my first real sesh with this beer, now sitting at 10 weeks. I really like it but I am already seeing opportunities with it, maybe 20 grams of hops instead of 25, maybe 3/4 Saaz to 1/4 Hersbrucker, one time all Hersbrucker, the next all Saaz, maybe a hop tea at the beginning and some dry hops at the end...possibilities.

I hope I'm still alive by time I perfect this one, I'd hate to see the boy take all the accolades :).

In saying this though, it has a lot of flavour for a pilsner at 10 weeks, which makes me pleased, I have found a few of the brewprints dull around this time but this packs a real punch still. We can put this in my top 10 for sure, a very good beer but I am going to have to experiment to see if I can get it just that bit better? 

OK, after 9 longnecks for the weekend, I think there is a lot of experimentation to still happen with this beer. There is a lot to like about it and it drank really well young and still was good later on but I think with the wheat in the brew, maybe that much Hersbrucker stood out a bit too much  at 10 weeks. 

I think this brew has a lot of potential but a bit more work still to go.

Who would have thought Liams job was so hard? I thought it was all drinking a few beers and then playing games of "delivery dock cricket" but it may actually be more than that 

• Rob Courtney changed the title to Robs "Golden Balls" Lager