Community Suggestions

BrewArt Team

8 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Isn't that just everything that's in the "inspired" collection? Like, if you ask me they're all pretty inspired, but I'm not sure if Brewart put them all in the list 🤣

That is the whole list, when you click on it the next page that comes up states "The complete collection of BrewArt BrewPrints"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Nice!

I think if the development budget allows then BrewArt should consider an advanced mode on the app where almost all parameters can be user defined.

I understand why this has not been done to date - it would be a support nightmare! 

There would probably be enough users out there by now that are keen to leverage more from the programmable nature of their Droids and if BrewArt can offer this to them then it may stop the churn to other systems like the Rapt offering from Kegland.

(not that I'm going anywhere, the Droid is the goods)

🍻

Sigh.  This would be a nice addition, but I agree that it would be a mess for the support staff.  Even the current system confuses people who don't view the videos nor read the FAQ's.

I also, am committed the the BeerDroid.  I will adapt as needed to do any unusual procedures I need to accomplish.  So far, this has not been a problem.  @xpsTech made it clear that they will help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Doing my first dry hooped brew. When ready for dry hops, the ‘Droid changed the temperature to 17 degrees and the option to change temperatures is not available in the app. I have read that about 20 degrees is good for dry hopping (better oil extraction). Am I stuck with 17 degrees if I use the ‘Droid program to tell me to dry hop? I know I can turn dry hop off and just add them on a day of my choosing -  day 5 or so of the ferment depending on the beer or at EOF for a few days with the kegging temp set to what I want. Why did the programmers chose 17 degrees.

1 hour ago, Lucky Oceanblue said:

Doing my first dry hooped brew. When ready for dry hops, the ‘Droid changed the temperature to 17 degrees and the option to change temperatures is not available in the app. I have read that about 20 degrees is good for dry hopping (better oil extraction). Am I stuck with 17 degrees if I use the ‘Droid program to tell me to dry hop? I know I can turn dry hop off and just add them on a day of my choosing -  day 5 or so of the ferment depending on the beer or at EOF for a few days with the kegging temp set to what I want. Why did the programmers chose 17 degrees.

It's a good question @BrewArt Team may be able to answer.

Welcome to the forum as well @Lucky Oceanblue

What are you brewing?

2 hours ago, Lucky Oceanblue said:

Welcome @Lucky Oceanblue to the forum. Lots of good information and comradery here.

In terms of dry hopping temps, this has been discussed before and the @BrewArt Team did contribute to that discussion here

When I raised this in another thread, the @BrewArt Team highlighted that 17°C was chosen as the dry hop notification is set to go off when the brew is near the end of fermentation which means there is likely to be some fermentation left in the brew and by dropping temps too low, you would put the yeast to sleep but they would rouse again if the beer was allowed to warm up and could result in some off flavours such as Dimethyl Sulfide (DMS).

Which makes sense to me.

However, I have experimented by on dry hopping temps by not selecting the Dry Hop option and closely watching the app (and looking thru the view port) to determine when it looks like fermentation is slowing down, often characterised by the Droid needing to warm up the wort rather than cool it down.

Interesting that you have read that 20 (assuming you mean °C) is better for dry hopping and hop oil extraction. I've spent a fair bit of time on this and from what I've read, especially Scott Janish who recommend dry hopping at lower temps for shorter periods of time to preserve the hop oil and recommends 14°C or lower, down to 4°C at times.

I then dry hop and then manually change the temperature to 10-14°C. I've had good results that way.

In fact, I've now purchased a RAPT Pill from Kegland to monitor the brewe when using such techniques and it also makes a big difference when using a Kveik Yeast such as Lallemand Voss which famously starts quickly and with such vigorous fermentation that it can be over in a day or two.

Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

What are you brewing?

A Pale Ale from Laughing Lizard Brewing on the Gold Coast.  They sell 26 lite complete home brew kits (just add water😋). I got them to make up a 1/2 kit and slightly overfilled the droid. Hops went in (in a hop bomb) last night. Should crash chill for me tomorrow night. When you consider they provide everything (this one had 3 types of hops) it is probably cheaper than 1/2 a decent canned kit. I have the same beer brewed by them in a keg and once I have legged and carbonated this one I’ll do a side by side comparison. Just debating whether to use the supplied finings, or force filter it through my one micron filter (or both).

First brew in the droid.

https://laughinglizard.au/ 

• Upvote 1

@Wazza_wantsbeer, thanks. I searched for previous discussions and could not find one. Pretty new to dry hopping and lots of conflicting info out there. Even at the brewery where I bought my kit, one brewer said to put the hops in at the start and the other said after fermentation. It is all what taste you like I suppose. I have let the droid do its thing and hope to be kegging on Tuesday evening.

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

G 'Day Rob, 

We can always make time for a story. Now gather round as I tell you the tale of how we came up with the original BrewPrints 😂.

We decided on a good core range of beers from around the world, this was based on popularity and generally what some of the people here liked to drink. We then picked the most popular commercial examples of different styles and evaluated the beers. 
We're quite lucky to be part of a big brewery with very good lab and analysis equipment. We ran the beers through our lab and got all the specs we needed, then went about replicating them with BrewArt ingredients. There is a little bit of trial and error, but with some good calculators and a lot of 'sensory evaluation' we were able to get pretty close. 
From the core range, we have added a lot of beers, not all of them are 'clones' of commercial beers, some are just what we like to drink, and others have been from customer requests/feedback.

I remember when I first started working here and the horror of watching my boss tip beer after beer down the sink after we finished testing. His voice is still in the back of my head every time I'm tipping out beer to this day: "you can't drink it all".

Cheers

3 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day Rob, 

We can always make time for a story. Now gather round as I tell you the tale of how we came up with the original BrewPrints 😂.

We decided on a good core range of beers from around the world, this was based on popularity and generally what some of the people here liked to drink. We then picked the most popular commercial examples of different styles and evaluated the beers. 
We're quite lucky to be part of a big brewery with very good lab and analysis equipment. We ran the beers through our lab and got all the specs we needed, then went about replicating them with BrewArt ingredients. There is a little bit of trial and error, but with some good calculators and a lot of 'sensory evaluation' we were able to get pretty close. 
From the core range, we have added a lot of beers, not all of them are 'clones' of commercial beers, some are just what we like to drink, and others have been from customer requests/feedback.

I remember when I first started working here and the horror of watching my boss tip beer after beer down the sink after we finished testing. His voice is still in the back of my head every time I'm tipping out beer to this day: "you can't drink it all".

Cheers

Yes you can

• Like 1
  • Haha 2