Could This Be The Longest Thread Ever?

Rob Courtney

1 minute ago, Rob Courtney said:

When I was talking to the guys from All in Brewing yesterday, I did ask about whether I could put the cap on and brew the second one later and it was a pretty strong no, so luckily, having 2 droids, I am in a good position to do it

You could still store in PET bottles for a later date if you didn’t want the full 20l at the same time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

You could still store in PET bottles for a later date if you didn’t want the full 20l at the same time.

I am a lazy, lazy man...

It actually gives scope to see how it goes over a few months...whilst trying to srtetch out some other brews I have. Last night, I thought the Deutsch was outstanding at 3 months secondary, so I would be interested to see a bit more longer term when it comes to the lagers

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, I could see how someone who was not using Brewart would see the benefits and time savings although at a higher cost of going the FWK route. Some people though do love the involved process of boilig, mashing and adding 11 secret hebs, hops and spices to a brew to get an outcome. Myself, with kids at the age they are, any shortcuts I can get, I'll take, which is what makes the Brewart system perfect for me

I’m not sure why but there’s something about FWKs that seem even less like brewing your own to me. I’ve tried a few before and the results are often pretty good but they’re not cheap - particularly if you want to get in on the ultra high quality worts produced by retailers like Grain and Grape in Melbourne.

I’m with you on the convenience of BrewArt ingredients and the results speak for themselves.

I think the trick is a combination of patience and working through the recipes to discover which ones you like and/or which ones you like that might need a little tweak here or there for your taste.

You guys have been at it a bit longer than me so you’ve probably got your list sorted. I think I’m almost there after 60 or so tries and the successes and failures along the way.

My all grain setup was accquired with convenience and simplicity of operation in mind. I really enjoy the process but agree that there’s not the time nor the want to spend between 3 and 5 hours making a brew each time. Perhaps once or twice a month and then a few times during holidays - yes, otherwise it’s BrewArt ingredients or Coopers DIY for me. It’s nice to have the options to do either.

The wife surprised me last night by asking “which beer is this?” in reference to the West Coast Pale Ale. When I told her it was a Brewprint with some extra hops she was very pleasantly surprised. The last beer she had was at the local craft brewery last weekend so it’s always nice to have it confirmed by someone else that the results really do stack up.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

When I was talking to the guys from All in Brewing yesterday, I did ask about whether I could put the cap on and brew the second one later and it was a pretty strong no, so luckily, having 2 droids, I am in a good position to do it.

Good advice to get around it though

Not sure if you recall but I did a All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK. As I just have the single Droid, I did just that. Left the remaining 7.5l in the bag, sprayed liberally with sanitiser and screwed the cap back on trying to remove as much air as possible.

The remainder then when straight into a draw in our freezer compartment.

I thawed it out and used it about 8 weeks later and it was perfect, not an issue at all.

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I’m not sure why but there’s something about FWKs that seem even less like brewing your own to me.

That is my gut feeling as well, There would have to be a marked difference between FWKs and Brewprints to ever make me swap but as something different,I'm happy to give it a go.

I actually tried the little microbrewery that is on the railway lands today (brother and wife were down so easy excuse to go try)and asked whether they were considering FWKs and they said that was in the plans. Must admit, the brews were pretty darn good, Pale Ale had two hops I had never heard before but it was like Galaxy with a bit of Citra and a Tradies Ale which was a bit stock standard but still good fun. I could have taken pics but the phone was in my pocket...

Still, it was good to go out with some fellow Irishmen...and women...lets not labour the point Reg...and turn a "lets nip down there for a quick pint" turn into 4 pints

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Fresh Wort Kit put off for another few weeks, shop owner has covid and then was so apologetic, she wanted to freight the kit up to me.

It was easy to say " think I still have 160 litres to brew, bring it up next month when you come"

So the experiment hopefully comes around when I am about to go on holidays, put it in day before, no hops needed...nice, bottled when I get home

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Went to our cricket awards night tonight and had a couple of Pale Ales...is it really the case of some places pour better? or...I was a bit unimpressed by it, paricularly after being at the microbrewery a couple of weeks ago when I was having beers that I thought " be good if I could brew that"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The thing I really like about the hops filter is that I can just drink stubbies knowing the sediment at the bottom is greatly reduced. Have had a great night knocking back stubbies of Birra and Bohemian, walking around my Parents in Laws farm, admiring the sunset, to having a few with dinner...then a few more before bed at home, happy with the purchase.

IMG_0850.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

The thing I really like about the hops filter is that I can just drink stubbies knowing the sediment at the bottom is greatly reduced. Have had a great night knocking back stubbies of Birra and Bohemian, walking around my Parents in Laws farm, admiring the sunset, to having a few with dinner...then a few more before bed at home, happy with the purchase.

IMG_0850.jpg

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

walking around my Parents in Laws farm,

Two at a time? 

4BCB4DCC-1E48-4917-B627-7A7876FB988E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You have got to laugh.
It seems Australia Post at Springvale  VIC  is no longer the delay for South Australia. An item from Sydney was rapidly despatch to Adelaide and arrived at their Torrensville sorting (understand this is to do with the multi million dollar facility at the airport) on Thursday morning at 3am. Tracking tells me it’s still there.