Could This Be The Longest Thread Ever?

Rob Courtney

For a clear idea of the difference between Australia post and a competent courier like say "FedEx"

I have purchased a cricket bat which is being shipped from Brisbane, it left on Tuesday 19th...so far not one update. Is it still in Brisbane? Probably...maybe one of the employees has it for the weekend to play some beach cricket. Will it get here before I go on holidays in May? Who knows, no updates

Compare this with

Purchased some jewellery for Mrs C for Mothers Day, shipped with FedEx on the 15th from Israel (probably with a listening device). Where is it? I got it yesterday and I knew where it was because they updated me twice a day from the airport in Israel, to France, to Singapore, to Sydney, Adelaide and down here, twice a day an update and it took 6 days.

If FedEx was our courier you'd push the order now button and then hear the door bell...

• Thanks 1

On 13/4/22 at 9:47 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

You have got to laugh.
It seems Australia Post at Springvale  VIC  is no longer the delay for South Australia. An item from Sydney was rapidly despatch to Adelaide and arrived at their Torrensville sorting (understand this is to do with the multi million dollar facility at the airport) on Thursday morning at 3am. Tracking tells me it’s still there. 

This packed arrived at Torrensville on the 7th of April, still there (according to tracking) and a request now made to Australia Post to investigate. They replied that they will after the 4th of May! Customer Service at its best, ha.

• Haha 1

On 23/4/22 at 5:41 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

This packed arrived at Torrensville on the 7th of April, still there (according to tracking) and a request now made to Australia Post to investigate. They replied that they will after the 4th of May! Customer Service at its best, ha.

Well it finally moved to my local Australia Post delivery centre on Thursday 28/4 at 3.31pm. Still there, no delivery Friday or Saturday and doesn’t look like today!

Australia Post made a mistake in emailing me a request as to my satisfaction with my parcel enquiry. Firstly they obviously didn’t check to see if I got it and I stated such. I made mention to the fact that as they found the parcel after nearly a month that delivery would be a priority. Ha.

Australia post have spent millions on sorting facilities in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide so that they can better at an inefficient service, fail to inform on tracking, and to realise customer service is not important.

Please note the persons on their bikes, trikes and in delivery vans do a top job under trying circumstances.

• Upvote 3

Since this seems to be the best place to put our woes with Aus Post, here's my most recent saga.

As some might know, I was really taken by Benoz's Rocky's Ridges Day Man and Night Man DDH IIPA recipes and ordered the two yeasts, Wyeast London Ale III (1318) and White Labs London Fog (WLP066) from Grain and Grape in Melbourne.

Ordered Wednesday morning but wasn't packaged for AusPost until Thursday afternoon and it was picked up late Friday afternoon.

Then transferred to Melbourne Friday morning, started flying to Sydney Friday afternoon, arrived Sydney Friday night and landed at my front door on Monday afternoon.

5 days travelling for these two liquid yeasts.

Anyone have any thoughts on the likely viability of these yeasts given how they were warmed up and travelling for 5 days?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Since this seems to be the best place to put our woes with Aus Post, here's my most recent saga.

As some might know, I was really taken by Benoz's Rocky's Ridges Day Man and Night Man DDH IIPA recipes and ordered the two yeasts, Wyeast London Ale III (1318) and White Labs London Fog (WLP066) from Grain and Grape in Melbourne.

Ordered Wednesday morning but wasn't packaged for AusPost until Thursday afternoon and it was picked up late Friday afternoon.

Then transferred to Melbourne Friday morning, started flying to Sydney Friday afternoon, arrived Sydney Friday night and landed at my front door on Monday afternoon.

5 days travelling for these two liquid yeasts.

Anyone have any thoughts on the likely viability of these yeasts given how they were warmed up and travelling for 5 days?

Did they have any ice with them. If not, then I'd definitely try a starter. If they did and they were still cool then you might have a chance. 

Good luck. 

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hambone said:

Did they have any ice with them. If not, then I'd definitely try a starter. If they did and they were still cool then you might have a chance. 

Good luck. 

Cheers 

Yes, there was an ice pack but after almost a full 5 days in transit, it had lost all cooling and was at ambient temperature.

Very disappointing from AusPost but also from Grape and Grain as they packed it almost 2 full days after my order and did it late in the afternoon.

I called G & G yesterday to advise them of this situation. They did explain that they had someone who doesn't normally do their order packing otherwise they would not send to Sydney so late in the week to avoid just this scenario.

They think that the the liquid yeast should be okay but cannot be sure. They are more confident that the Wyeast 1318 London Ale III should be good as it has an yeast nutrient activator which you break open inside the packet of yeast, leave at room temp for 2 or 3 hours and that gets the yeast moving.

The one he thought was most at risk is the White Labs London Fog but said it should be okay. No need to make a starter but given it is a 10l batch, pitch the whole lot and monitor for activity. However if no activity, then contact them and they will send again free of charge hence why I will do the brew day on the weekend and start the Day Man in the Droid on Sunday to give time to see if the yeast is working or not and to get a replacement if not.

Fingers crossed as I plan on doing the brew day to produce the wort this weekend for both brews but will get the Day Man DDH IIPA on first given that's the yeast most likely to be non-viable. The wort for the Night Man version will just go into a wort cube to wait for it's turn.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Yes, there was an ice pack but after almost a full 5 days in transit, it had lost all cooling and was at ambient temperature.

Very disappointing from AusPost but also from Grape and Grain as they packed it almost 2 full days after my order and did it late in the afternoon.

I called G & G yesterday to advise them of this situation. They did explain that they had someone who doesn't normally do their order packing otherwise they would not send to Sydney so late in the week to avoid just this scenario.

They think that the the liquid yeast should be okay but cannot be sure. They are more confident that the Wyeast 1318 London Ale III should be good as it has an yeast nutrient activator which you break open inside the packet of yeast, leave at room temp for 2 or 3 hours and that gets the yeast moving.

The one he thought was most at risk is the White Labs London Fog but said it should be okay. No need to make a starter but given it is a 10l batch, pitch the whole lot and monitor for activity. However if no activity, then contact them and they will send again free of charge hence why I will do the brew day on the weekend and start the Day Man in the Droid on Sunday to give time to see if the yeast is working or not and to get a replacement if not.

Fingers crossed as I plan on doing the brew day to produce the wort this weekend for both brews but will get the Day Man DDH IIPA on first given that's the yeast most likely to be non-viable. The wort for the Night Man version will just go into a wort cube to wait for it's turn.

Good plan. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Out of interest what size cube?

Also I think your yeasts will be fine, perhaps a little longer to get going but no big deal. G f G offer is good customer service.

I have 2x 10 litre cubes.

I'm thinking to actually do two 11 litre batches one after the other that way I can use the correct hops during the hop stand.

And to be honest, I find that even with a 36l BIABasket setup, trying to get a grain bill for an 8.5% beer is very challenging as I did a similar size brew last week that is now sitting in the Fermzilla.

I think from now on I'm going to do the bigger brews in split batches so I have another brew planned tomorrow as well as the one over the weekend.

I have visitors coming over the next few weeks, my bro returning from living in Canada and a mate and his wife from NZ so I need to get the stocks up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spent the day on jet skis island hopping, back just in time to watch the boats come in from my balcony with a Ballistic Beer Hawaiian Haze Pale Ale. They have a brewery here so i have been making use of it, the Haze is hopped with Citra, Mosiac, Pacifika and Rakau...which all up, tastes a lot like Galaxy :)

IMG_0906.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Spent the day on jet skis island hopping, back just in time to watch the boats come in from my balcony with a Ballistic Beer Hawaiian Haze Pale Ale. They have a brewery here so i have been making use of it, the Haze is hopped with Citra, Mosiac, Pacifika and Rakau...which all up, tastes a lot like Galaxy :)

IMG_0906.jpg

Port Douglas?

17 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

IMG_0906.jpg

I used to live in the "Beermuda Triangle" in Brisbane where there's Ballistic's original site, Slipstream, and Helios all within 2 adjacent suburbs. I was up the street from Slipstream so I mostly went there, but I've had a few very nice beers from Ballistic and they're definitely the most successful of those 3. Probably the most successful craft outfit in Brisbane after Newstead and maybe Brisbane Brewing Company I'd say.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I used to live in the "Beermuda Triangle" in Brisbane where there's Ballistic's original site, Slipstream, and Helios all within 2 adjacent suburbs. I was up the street from Slipstream so I mostly went there, but I've had a few very nice beers from Ballistic and they're definitely the most successful of those 3. Probably the most successful craft outfit in Brisbane after Newstead and maybe Brisbane Brewing Company I'd say.

Green Beacon?

Former Valley resident here.

Was in Brisbogan this week for work. Had beers at Felons unfortunately …

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Green Beacon?

Former Valley resident here.

Was in Brisbogan this week for work. Had beers at Felons unfortunately …

I never actually went to Felons but I remember it featuring very heavily on contact tracing pretty regularly when that was a thing 🤣

Never heard of Green Beacon TBH but looking them up they seem to have a pretty local northside market. My friends and I were uni students then and too pov to even look at Tenerife...

8 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

I never actually went to Felons but I remember it featuring very heavily on contact tracing pretty regularly when that was a thing 🤣

Never heard of Green Beacon TBH but looking them up they seem to have a pretty local northside market. My friends and I were uni students then and too pov to even look at Tenerife...

Green Beacon were bought out by Asahii a couple of years ago for a huge sum.

My apartment is nearby so it was a local haunt whilst I lived there.

Felons is in a brilliant spot and serves a purpose but the beer is average and the people that frequent there moreso.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Green Beacon were bought out by Asahii a couple of years ago for a huge sum.

My apartment is nearby so it was a local haunt whilst I lived there.

Felons is in a brilliant spot and serves a purpose but the beer is average and the people that frequent there moreso.

Having a Green Beacon Pacific Pale  at the moment, must have been sensational before Asahii bought it because it is still pretty good now

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Having a Green Beacon Pacific Pale  at the moment, must have been sensational before Asahii bought it because it is still pretty good now

I haven't had a Green Beacon in a while but they were outstanding. In fact their Passionfruit Sour is exactly why I started brewing sours. 

Cheers 

20 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I haven't had a Green Beacon in a while but they were outstanding. In fact their Passionfruit Sour is exactly why I started brewing sours. 

Cheers 

Haven’t had one however looking at the profile on the web I’m wondering whether my Coopers Pale Ale with 20g of Melba, 15g of Sequoia and 15g of Idaho 7 would be close. These hops really add a tropical and stone fruit flavour to the brew. 
Thoughts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Haven’t had one however looking at the profile on the web I’m wondering whether my Coopers Pale Ale with 20g of Melba, 15g of Sequoia and 15g of Idaho 7 would be close. These hops really add a tropical and stone fruit flavour to the brew. 
Thoughts?

Yeah that would get you close as far as hops go. Obviously some sort of sour pitch to bring in the tartness required. I'm not sure you'd get away without adding fruit though.

Cheers

• Like 1