Could This Be The Longest Thread Ever?

Rob Courtney

I have a chocolate Labrador. Had him from before we have had kids, being chocolate, he was called "Cadbury" and has been a really good dog for a long, long time...except how much he craps...Labradors crap so much, you could walk them to the end of the street and that will be three bags used.

Anyways, he is 13, very old in Lab years and my son comes to me last night upset and says Cadbury isn't eating ( which is like a man turning down sex), so I go out to see old boy...and he is old. I brought him into the house and had him lie down, he wouldn't take food or water and his side was spazzaming (which is a sign of pain)...and as I observe him, I can hear the good wife sniffling and then she says " I knew it'd be your time, just not tonight".

So I watched him a bit longer and said I would take him to the vet (he has been to the vet 3 times in 13 years (balls off, microchip and he ate snail bait) and suddenly my 9 year old daughter starts a wailing, absolutely blubbing ( and all I could think was that she never even acknowledged the dog, it has been me and the boy all this time)

So, take him to the vet and when she takes his temp, tell her the joke "I'll just take his temp, he probably won't like this"..."Yeah, he does" and then find out she is the same vet that treated him when he ate snail bait a decade ago and she gives him some antibiotics and a heavy pain killer. The Pain killer must have been good because at 11 pm, he knocked on the door and asked if he could borrow my Dark Side of the Moon CD.

This morning, I get up and when I have had breakfast, go out to see him, he comes out of the shed, wagging his tail ( which is a great sign), looks at me confused and then looks at me with a "yeah, that's it, food"look and then murders a bowl full of BBQ chicken meat leftovers ...so he may be around for a bit longer still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never forgot when my the 5yr old lad came into the house (about our cat) and said “dad, ginger is asleep on the other side of the road” to which I replied “well he’s probably a bit tired and having a rest” to which he relied “but he’s got ants coming out of his ears”

It was a sad day for the family, we buried poor old ginger under the lemon tree.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

I’ve never forgot when my the 5yr old lad came into the house (about our cat) and said “dad, ginger is asleep on the other side of the road” to which I replied “well he’s probably a bit tired and having a rest” to which he relied “but he’s got ants coming out of his ears”

It was a sad day for the family, we buried poor old ginger under the lemon tree.

Have to say, the old bugger has spoilt me for choices of where to bury him when it comes to him passing, giving his penchant for digging.

Still, the way my wife and daughter bawled when we took him to the vet and the boy and I...no tears...way to make us look like sociapaths, girls

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Frustrations-

with new recipe additions or even the first time you brew one , after kegging or bottling you wait 4, 6 + weeks to try. And you love it, but of course you haven’t brewed an other one as you needed to evaluate. Another bloody 4, 6 + weeks!!!

#Thirstworldproblems

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, for most of my life, I have avoided a mobile phone...to the point that my parents in law gave us their old one so we could let them know when we got somewhere driving. I guess they are handy to take photos but yeah, meh.

Work forced me a few months ago to have a phone, which was OK as my daughter taught me how to hotspot a laptop...so yeah, Ok

Now work has given me a brand new Iphone something and my daughter has lost it when I said that I have been told I have a 50gb allowance a month...apparently, that may be a lot. On the plus side, I can face time my family...though that may be a negative to them 

An Englishman and an Irishman walk into a bakery

The Englishman steals 3 bread rolls and puts them into his pockets and leaves. He says to the Irishman, "That took great skill and guile to steal those bread rolls. The owner didn't even see me."

The Irishman replied, "That's just simple thievery, I'II show you how to do it the honest way and get the same result."

The Irishman then proceeded to call out the owner of the bakery and says, "Sir, I want to show you a magic trick." The owner was intrigued so he came over to see the magic trick. The Irishman asked him for a bread roll and then he proceeded to eat it. He asked 2 more times and after eating them again the owner says, "Okay my friend, where's the magic trick?".

The Irishman then said, "Look in the Englishman's pockets."

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, for most of my life, I have avoided a mobile phone...to the point that my parents in law gave us their old one so we could let them know when we got somewhere driving. I guess they are handy to take photos but yeah, meh.

Work forced me a few months ago to have a phone, which was OK as my daughter taught me how to hotspot a laptop...so yeah, Ok

Now work has given me a brand new Iphone something and my daughter has lost it when I said that I have been told I have a 50gb allowance a month...apparently, that may be a lot. On the plus side, I can face time my family...though that may be a negative to them 

There is value in it, download the BrewArt app and admire/adjust your brewing at work. And yes 50gb is a lot, you’ll be able to watch live news, movies, beer making, uTube. No wonder your daughter lost it.

14 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Welcome to 2020 mate. 😆

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Welcome to 2020 mate. 😆

It's kind of funny, it was sold to me with "but you can now read your work emails from home" As if working from home after you've finished at work is the new cool.

People who work in HR are weird, I don't work at work, I'm hardly upping the effort when I get on a couch at home

41 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

It's kind of funny, it was sold to me with "but you can now read your work emails from home" As if working from home after you've finished at work is the new cool.

People who work in HR are weird, I don't work at work, I'm hardly upping the effort when I get on a couch at home

😆

I certainly get the issue with smartphones. But no mobile phone at all seems a little odd.

There are still "dumb" handsets out there i.e. it will make calls and send/receive sms. Perhaps that's a better option for you.

5 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

😆

I certainly get the issue with smartphones. But no mobile phone at all seems a little odd.

There are still "dumb" handsets out there i.e. it will make calls and send/receive sms. Perhaps that's a better option for you.

Yeah, never understood the fascination with them to be honest. I remember a staff member being stunned that I didn't have a phone and how did people contact me and i said well I live in a house, they come and knock on my door and if I am in a good mood, I open it.

Then she asked what happens if I am travelling to Adelaide or Melbourne and the car breaks down and I said I would wait til the next car came and use their phone..to which she said but what if that next person was a serial kiler?...and I said whats the chances of two of us meeting up at the same time.

I mean, I'm ok with it, the kids can watch youtube or something when we are in the car, or hotspot their devices, so it has a use but if I'm going out somewhere, I'm not putting it in my pocket and I am not checking work emails at home, they will still be there when I get to work. 

If you're referring to smartphones then 'fascination' is a reasonable description but I disagree with regards to the telephone function of mobile phones. I've had one since 1996 and I still recall my stepfather's 80's brick car phone. I think they're necessary but if you were able to or can operate your life without one then more power to you. I'm impressed!

I used to work in Central Australia and carried a satellite phone for work. You're waiting or walking for a long time before you may or may not come across another person, and reliable communication could be the difference between living and dying.

Even now working on the east coast I have two VHF and a HF radio in my 'office'. They're not 100% reliable and every now and then I may need to pull out the mobile phone and make a call instead.

You'll get no argument from me with regards to checking work emails at home and I agree that when a company gives you a smartphone it's for their benefit not yours.

I quite like the idea of a dumb mobile phone but unfortunately I need my smartphone for both work and personal life, but most importantly for checking my beer via the Brewart app!

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, never understood the fascination with them to be honest. I remember a staff member being stunned that I didn't have a phone and how did people contact me and i said well I live in a house, they come and knock on my door and if I am in a good mood, I open it.

Then she asked what happens if I am travelling to Adelaide or Melbourne and the car breaks down and I said I would wait til the next car came and use their phone..to which she said but what if that next person was a serial kiler?...and I said whats the chances of two of us meeting up at the same time.

I mean, I'm ok with it, the kids can watch youtube or something when we are in the car, or hotspot their devices, so it has a use but if I'm going out somewhere, I'm not putting it in my pocket and I am not checking work emails at home, they will still be there when I get to work. 

But Rob, if you carried the phone with you 24/7 then us on the forum could bother you 24/7 😂

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2020 at 12:50 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Rob finally accepts his work’s offer and has a wifi modem and mobile phone system installed.

E99A8A2D-3B9A-49A6-A4E1-FB201F421B9E.thumb.jpeg.a55102d7bfaca1f4cc7f4e7b738f18e4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, when putting the dishes away, the wafer thin glass that my wife just loves and for the last 18 years I have thought, "I bet this bloody well breaks in my hand one day ", broke in my hand. Quite painful, fair bit of blood but luckily the deepest cut was just below the webbing of the fingers. I say luckily because for those of us who have had stitches put into the webbing of your fingers, you are able to scoff at a womans claim that birth can be an excrutiating painful experience and say "ahh, I see you've never had stitches in the webbing of your fingers before...ya drama queen."

Anyways, stupid bloody Covid, it has us all conditioned to sanatise our hands...and I was really observant, didn't want to but on a couple of occassions today, I forgot and sanatised my hands. Now it was painful, not quite stitches in the webbing but probably shaded childbirth. The second time was the peach though, there was that split second before I recognised what I did and the pain that followed.

Damn sanatiser

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1