Additional Hops

Brad Quinn

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2017 at 4:46 PM, dcm said:

Well here's what I did.

Brad's thoughts kind of resonated so I started with a Westcoast Pale Ale recipe.

I added 1 x X5 to bring the ABV up to around 6.5%

At day 7 of fermentation, I just chucked in a 15g Amarillo finishing hop teabag (yeah, I forgot to make tea and maybe there will be grassy notes).  The Amarillo smelt gorgeous.

At day 11, fermentation finished and I added the prescribed 2 x H1 sachet.

I bottled it today.  I would have happily drunk the stuff "green" out of primary fermentation.  Lots of hoppy flavour and a nice kick from the extra alcohol.

Maybe it will head south during secondary fermentation but hopefully I'm on to something here.  Either that or I'm just an Amarillo junkie.

This works I tell you!  Tried one last night, 3 weeks in secondary.  Not bad!  You can smell the Amarillo and the bitter and extra ABV are there.  I'm calling it "Westcoast IPA" :-)  First glass out of the 750ml extremely good.  Second glass was *slightly* more sweetish so there still might be some secondary fermentation to happen - guess it's been cold lately but I'm going to do another batch of this.

• Upvote 3

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I am about to add the new "FortNight" hops into my Lighthouse Pale Ale.  Reports suggest it should be awesome.  I will let you know how it turns out. 

FortNight™ is a dual purpose hop blended from at least 5 classic US hop varieties and is suitable for most US styles from pale ales to quad IPAs. Produces strong grapefruit character in the foreground with subtle undertones of pineapple and apricot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HI Derren,

I have used Fortnight before in the Dry Hop and absolutely loved the results. I'm guessing there's SImcoe in there, and some of the 'Big C's'.

There's another 'Hop Blend' called Zythos which I use a lot because you get massive Pineapple notes from it, you should keep an eye out for it.

Let us know how the Lighthouse turns out, it should be a cracker!!

Mmm...  Where does one find "FortNight" hops and what kind of dose?  I'd love to hear how that works out.

With my 'droid down -  I'm consoling myself making a Torpedo IPA clone 'old school' (read: 'mess everywhere, every kitchen utensil dirty, stove top covered in sticky wort and wife unhappy').  It's definitely a lot easier using the 'droid.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just had a couple of the Lighthouse with the Fortnight hops.  It was dry hopped for about 36 hours (25g) and I'm pretty impressed.  Nice characters in the aroma.  Worth the experiment.  I probably still personally prefer the citra/galaxy mix of past attempts but its a great blend none the less.

DCM - I got it at my local home brew store.  It was in the fridge with all the other hops.

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Would love some more info on adding hops to the droid. At the end of the first fermentation i am guessing, time frames and if a tea or dry hops is better ? And do you use the liquid hops for second fermentation ? 

The Brewart liquid hops are generally designed to put directly into the kegs when kegging or into the droid when ready to bottle (so yes secondary fermentation). You can put the liquid in the droid beforehand like dry hopping but I believe that the pellets are best. A hop tea is usually put into the wort prior to fermention, so with the droid water in, hop tea, yeast etc. A hop tea will enhance bitterness particularly if boiled, if steeped will provide flavour. Dry hopping with pellets will provide aroma and flavour. 

Generally I like to dry hop with pellets a day or so before fermentation has completed. You can judge fairly well by the suggested Brewprint fermentation time in conjunction with the slowing of the temperature increase as per the Beerdroid app.

Hope this helps, cheers Mark

also have a look at thread “Hop Changes” under main topic “Advanced Brewing:.........”

Edited by Barrelboy

16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Awesome.. ill have a look . To be fair I am a sucker for Mosaic Hops . And Cascade is a close second usually. But there is alot of learning to do with hops and how much to put into the brew , steep time etc .gonna have to get my drink on lol 

I enjoy mosaic and cascade as well. Also like Citra, then again I like..............hops do open up ones worlds”.