Rob Courtney

Keg liner cap onto a keg liner video

There have been a couple of questions on how to do this, so I thought I'd do a video up. I did think of doing this a few weeks back but yeah, I am a lazy man. Now, I know when people who have been having issues with this see me do it, they are going to yell at the screen "But that's exactly what I do and it doesn't work" but...

Turn the cap until you feel it have a bit of pressure ( like you have got to the end but it isn't on straight, 1/4 turn back, then a bit of pressure from the top as you turn it back on to align it). Now when I say a bit of pressure, I mean a bit, not all your might, just more you are turning it from on top and not the side.

Anyways, hope the video works for you

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

There have been a couple of questions on how to do this, so I thought I'd do a video up. I did think of doing this a few weeks back but yeah, I am a lazy man. Now, I know when people who have been having issues with this see me do it, they are going to yell at the screen "But that's exactly what I do and it doesn't work" but...

Turn the cap until you feel it have a bit of pressure ( like you have got to the end but it isn't on straight, 1/4 turn back, then a bit of pressure from the top as you turn it back on to align it). Now when I say a bit of pressure, I mean a bit, not all your might, just more you are turning it from on top and not the side.

Anyways, hope the video works for you

Video works, well done

Give this a go, if people are thinking " No way Copperfield that was slight of hand magic", then I can do another video a bit later where I can go through each bit in more detail

Thanks Rob for your tip. I will try it but I think it will take me some time to master the technique.

Anyway, the way you hold the keg liner is not recommended, as mentioned in the Brewart 101 video, is it? Correct me if I am wrong.

16 minutes ago, Long Ngo said:

Thanks Rob for your tip. I will try it but I think it will take me some time to master the technique.

Anyway, the way you hold the keg liner is not recommended, as mentioned in the Brewart 101 video, is it? Correct me if I am wrong.

Ha, it does too :)

I will say that I have kegged about 100 beers and I haven't had an issue. It is worth just spending ten minutes with a cap and keg liner just to get your method down pat. Trying to get it whilst you are trying to keg a brew just adds to the stress

• Upvote 1

Rob makes a very good point, practice with no pressure is a good thing. Long, I think I recall you broke a liner, practice with that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the video and tips, and yes frustration was compounded as this was my first brew, I had everything sanitized and ready to go, and I could not get past this first, and what should have been a very basic step.  I spent hours on it and, like Long pointed out, I specifically avoided grabbing the liner as Rob did as the instructional videos said to not do it.  

Rob,

After reviewing your video and see a similar suggestion on the FB owner's forum, I think I got it, but it sure seems like it should go on a lot easier.  Seems like a design defect.  The FB forum showed some people not having this screwed down right and then, after adding the beer, the liner dropped, releasing the beer into the unsantized keg.   After getting on cap onto the liner I filled the liner with water and held the it by the cap to make sure it held.  So, I wasted a liner and I wasted a sanitizing tablet yesterday.  I'll sanitize the parts again and give it a go.  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Brian Bella said:

Rob,

After reviewing your video and see a similar suggestion on the FB owner's forum, I think I got it, but it sure seems like it should go on a lot easier.  Seems like a design defect.  The FB forum showed some people not having this screwed down right and then, after adding the beer, the liner dropped, releasing the beer into the unsantized keg.   After getting on cap onto the liner I filled the liner with water and held the it by the cap to make sure it held.  So, I wasted a liner and I wasted a sanitizing tablet yesterday.  I'll sanitize the parts again and give it a go.  

You didn't waste a beer...that's the important bit. It is vital t have the cap on evenly but it comes with practice, I have only buggered that up once and it started dripping as I filled it into the keg and I knew I was in trouble. After trying to work out how to fix it, I ended up pouring the beer back into the droid (touch frothy) and then screwed cap back on properly and re poured the beer.

Pretty much thought I had ruined it...then I noticed the liner turning clear because it had got moisture on the outside of it ( yep, too stupid to just use a new liner, that would have taken common sense). The only problem with the liner turning clear is it lets light onto the beer, which isn't desirable, so given it was 5 weeks into secondary, thought I'd drink it and see if it was still OK but thought I'd really ruined it.

Whilst it was cooling in the Brewflo I realised that I had put the wrong hops in for the beer, so that was it, had to be stuffed.

Then i poured it, absolutely delicious, I had drunk that variety a few times (Aussie Premium) and thought it was OK to good but with different hops put in because I'd mucked up everything else, I had created a success.

Morale of the story...if there is one...is that beer making is an experiment, a tasty, tasty experiment. No matter what you do, you can either learn from it or more than likely benefit from it. Worse comes to worse, you still have beer and in this stories case, I wouldn't brew it with the suggested hops ever again 

• Upvote 1

Rob,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I've brewed beer the more arduous way many times (steep grains, boil, add malt and hops, cool, etc) and I had mostly "off" results which was very frustrating.  I had one truly good batch.  After getting frustrated with this after doing many 5 gallon batches of beer I decided I would go down to 1 gallon to reduce the variables and room for error.  The process was the same, but just dealing with 1 gallon instead of 5.  I still had off results.  So, I went to this system hoping for more foolproof method. 

After securing the liner to the cap on 1st keg, I left the "sock" on the liner as 101 videos show.  You are supposed to fill the keg to the 5L mark on 1st keg; however mine stopped taking beer above 6L.  The liner may have been twisted.  I'm not sure.  For 2nd keg I removed the sock and expanded it a bit before inserting.  

37 minutes ago, Brian Bella said:

Rob,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I've brewed beer the more arduous way many times (steep grains, boil, add malt and hops, cool, etc) and I had mostly "off" results which was very frustrating.  I had one truly good batch.  After getting frustrated with this after doing many 5 gallon batches of beer I decided I would go down to 1 gallon to reduce the variables and room for error.  The process was the same, but just dealing with 1 gallon instead of 5.  I still had off results.  So, I went to this system hoping for more foolproof method. 

After securing the liner to the cap on 1st keg, I left the "sock" on the liner as 101 videos show.  You are supposed to fill the keg to the 5L mark on 1st keg; however mine stopped taking beer above 6L.  The liner may have been twisted.  I'm not sure.  For 2nd keg I removed the sock and expanded it a bit before inserting.  

Yeah, mine mostly peaks out around the 6lt mark, I usually top it up turning the keg right side up and chuck the extra litre in.

I will say though, stick with this system, I bought it a couple of years back in November and the first couple of brews, maybe three or four were OK but nothing that I was saying " man, glad I dropped a gorilla on this, won't go back to drinking..." and then by February, I drank a beer that I thought "not bad, not bad, as good as I could buy" and by March I hit my rhythm. I then introduced it to my close family that said "you brewed this...get a pint out, I'm drinking"

I guess what i am trying to say is, I have never been that hot on home brew beers before, they were OK, some better than others but nothing I thought replaced good, on tap pub beers...but this does, it lives up to the hype. Give it some time, once you hit that stride... 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Rob.  Good to hear as it was a big investment (my 10th anniversary present).  Now that I have one kegged I started another as I purchased extra kegs.  You said "I usually turn the keg right side up".  You must have the keg caddy.  I do not have that.  I was filling mine right side up.  

• Upvote 1

@Rob Courtney, i am 110% calling BS and there wad some wizardry involved lol.. i usually keg half of all my brews and have done well over a Dozen kegs a year , but today a liner almost beat me .I was lazy with my CPA and just kegged it all, one went on ok ( when i have filled the keg noticed the liner has twisted , so 🤞🤞🤞) . But the second one , i am expecting i have torn the lining as it was a proper force to get the keg liner in and about 15 minutes of swearing.  I am even considering workers comp for injuries sustained 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

20200728_143109.jpg

Looks nasty, probably best you rub some of that hand sanatising gel onto your hands so it keeps it nice and clean. Plus it will protect you from Covid-19

• Haha 1