Woot! First brew - mountain IPA

dcm

1 minute ago, J P said:

Beauty.   10 weeks secondary is a hard sell.   A second droid has allowed me to exceed production but now find myself in a predicament of a third droid en route and no more Kegs.    First World brewer problems.   LOL.  Seriously need more kegs so I can enter the realms of you legends with your multiple week secondary times.  Can’t wait!!🤤

😆

I have 20+ kegs but need a second Droid.

First World problems!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged today. The pre-kegging pour tasted fantastic.

I left the brew at kegging temperature in the Droid for an extra 48 hours as I’m trying to work out if this sorts out the foamy BrewFlo pours. So other than my little experiment this one was complete in 9 days 6 hours which is a good 24 hours shorter than usual and is thanks to the updated firmware.

The kegging process was nice and smooth too so hopefully I’m finally past my batch of bad keg liners and dodgy keg caps/connectors.

Ended up with one overflow bottle too which will be good for an early taster.

My notes from last time say to try this somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, my Beerdroid prompted me for hops after only 5 days of brewing my latest Mountain IPA batch.  This is the first brew I have done with the new v18 firmware.

Looking carefully, it hasn't actually told me that fermentation has ended, it simply said that it was "time to hop".

I'm wondering if it is calling for hops earlier in the fermentation cycle to improve hop characteristics.

If primary fermentation really HAD completed only after 5 days, I'd be inclined to think something was wrong.

Time will tell...

9 minutes ago, dcm said:

Interestingly, my Beerdroid prompted me for hops after only 5 days of brewing my latest Mountain IPA batch.  This is the first brew I have done with the new v18 firmware.

Looking carefully, it hasn't actually told me that fermentation has ended, it simply said that it was "time to hop".

I'm wondering if it is calling for hops earlier in the fermentation cycle to improve hop characteristics.

If primary fermentation really HAD completed only after 5 days, I'd be inclined to think something was wrong.

Time will tell...

Adding hops near the end of fermentation helps to enhance the flavour and the aroma of the hops. The new dry hop via firmware P018 tries to predict 2 days before EOF, so in your case fermentation should end in 2 and possible 3 days.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Adding hops near the end of fermentation helps to enhance the flavour and the aroma of the hops. The new dry hop via firmware P018 tries to predict 2 days before EOF, so in your case fermentation should end in 2 and possible 3 days.

Cheers

Aha!  As I suspected then.  Thanks.  I have  hopped away merrily with more-hops-than-specified because that's how I roll 🙂

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...