Jerry Roe

Thomas Coopers Artisan Reserve Question

About to keg my first batch of Thomas Coopers Artisan Reserve. I have added the hops (2 pouches) and have noticed two pouches of sucrose. Do I add these two pouches to the batch along with the hops or did I mess up? Should I have added them at the start?

Thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, Jerry Roe said:

About to keg my first batch of Thomas Coopers Artisan Reserve. I have added the hops (2 pouches) and have noticed two pouches of sucrose. Do I add these two pouches to the batch along with the hops or did I mess up? Should I have added them at the start?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jerry, Mark here and a welcome to a great forum. After adding the hops wait 24 hours for the hop solution to infuse with the brew. ( in the ready to keg mode). Now if kegging add a sucrose  pouch to each keg then fill. If bottling the easiest are the drops or you can add other forms of sugar to each bottle.

Are you going to keg or bottle (if bottling do you have the sucrose drops?)

Cheers Mark

Mark, thanks for the welcome. I think I blew it. I added the hops and the sucrose but I intended to bottle instead of keg. Now what do I do? I do have the bottles and tablets and was ready to bottle tomorrow

42 minutes ago, Jerry Roe said:

Mark, thanks for the welcome. I think I blew it. I added the hops and the sucrose but I intended to bottle instead of keg. Now what do I do? I do have the bottles and tablets and was ready to bottle tomorrow

Are you using the plastic (PET) bottles or glass? 

1 minute ago, Jerry Roe said:

PET bottles, Mark.

That’s good as if the sugar distribution is over in a particular bottle it will just “swell” tighter and perhaps be a “gusher” when opened however if glass you have the potential of bombs (exploding).

Now here’s what I would do when you bottle tomorrow:- 

1) with a sanitised spoon/ladle gently stir the brew, move it around (to even out the sucrose, don’t stir the bottom ie don’t disturb the settle sediment (trub)
2) Don’t add any further sucrose/sugar to the bottles.

3) bottle and store away.

This should work out ok

Cheers Mark

Thanks, Mark. I will give it a try tomorrow afternoon. Do you think I need to adjust the head space as a precaution?

14 minutes ago, Jerry Roe said:

Thanks, Mark. I will give it a try tomorrow afternoon. Do you think I need to adjust the head space as a precaution?

Not a bad idea Jerry but not by much. Suggest 5ml only. You’d be surprised at what that could take up if needed.

11 hours ago, Jerry Roe said:

Thanks in advance.

It's a good drop Jerry, I'm not sure if you have had the original before but this isn't a bad try a it. Drinks well from about 5-6 weeks secondary and stays at that peak for a few weeks. This was one of my more favoured beers before I got into home brewing and was lucky enough to find it on tap every now and then. 

I tried out the Artisan Reserve at the two week point and there was no evidence of secondary fermentation, There was no foam or head on the beer but it did taste good! I guess the amount of sucrose did not promote secondary fermentation.

Since I brought this issue to you, I have tried two other Brewprints -- California Steam and Cooper's Session. I am looking forward to trying them out.

1 hour ago, Jerry Roe said:

I tried out the Artisan Reserve at the two week point and there was no evidence of secondary fermentation, There was no foam or head on the beer but it did taste good! I guess the amount of sucrose did not promote secondary fermentation.

Since I brought this issue to you, I have tried two other Brewprints -- California Steam and Cooper's Session. I am looking forward to trying them out.

Two weeks may not be enough for effective carbonation and time will tell. Tasting good means it’s not a waste, is it tasting flat? If the carbonation doesn’t improve you can mix with a similar ale, ie 2/3 of this in a glass top with 1/3 of something else.

The beer was flat but I had to determine if that was truly the case so I drank five more. I don't remember much after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2