Derren Green

500ml Swing top bottles - how many pills

Hello Community,

Not yet having the ability to justify a BeerFlo, I want to bottle my brews into 500ml swing top bottles.  The carbonation drops are aimed at a 375ml bottle, or you put 2 in a 750ml.  Should I start cutting pills in half so that I put 1 1/2 pills in a 500ml or would a single one do the trick?

All comments appreciated.

• Upvote 3

I would be careful with putting too many carbonation drops in a glass bottle as they can explode if they are over carbonated.

It would be safer to just use the one carbonation drop since this is what is used for 375ml bottles which is only just slightly less than 500ml and the beer should still be carbonated enough.

• Upvote 1

You also could try using 4ml of priming sugar syrup per bottle.

(40ml of sugar in each primer sachet)
10000ml / 2x40ml = 125ml
500ml / 125ml = 4ml per bottle

• Upvote 1

I've got a small handful of 500 ml bottles which I've been bottling into (most of my bottles are 750 ml swing-tops).

With the 750 ml bottles I use two carb drops, but with the 500 ml bottles I was worried that 1 drop (3g of sugar) would be too little, so I read a suggestion somewhere to use one teaspoon (roughly 4 or 5g depending on your measurement) of caster sugar.

I think carbonation is largely subjective, but I've found one teaspoon of the caster sugar has turned out great on the two brews I've done using the 500ml bottles. I know it's a little more hassle than just dropping a couple of drops in, but I'd rather not risk exploded bottles (or under carbonated beer).

Ian

I am going to grab a syringe (no needle) from the chemist and use and measure out the keg primer liquid, save wasting it.  4ml per 500ml bottle.  Thanks for the math Duffman.  Aztec Cerveza will be the Guinea pig.  Will let you know how it goes.

Love the community feedback.  Thanks All.

• Upvote 1