Beer Drinking Glasses

On 07/08/2020 at 11:28 PM, Alan Batchelor said:

@Rob Courtney I 100% agree. I think it’s something to do with to gold rim, I reckon it helps with head retention. But what is even better is the .5l glasses 🤪

You two got me going, managed to secure a 500ml Stellar, not used but as a display, out of Melbourne for $10. Postage the killer, $12.50. However still a bargain? 

Edited by Barrelboy
Auto correct muck up

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

You two got me going, managed to secure a 500ml Stellar, not used but as a display, out of Melbourne for $10. Postage the killer, $12.50. However still a bargain? 

Sometimes you just have to spend the dollars on postage...if it is the same people I got mine off then it is packaged really, really well. In a perfect world, they'd have them in Coles...

I mean it isn't a purchase you'd do everyday and it is a really nice glass so whether it is a bargain is debatable but it is a good buy 

Edited by Rob Courtney

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Sometimes you just have to spend the dollars on postage...if it is the same people I got mine off then it is packaged really, really well. In a perfect world, they'd have them in Coles...

I mean it isn't a purchase you'd do everyday and it is a really nice glass so whether it is a bargain is debatable but it is a good buy 

Thanks Rob, now is it all lagers best drunk in this glass? Or recommendations.

Thanks

I have something similar glass. English Pub Draft at 21 days. Poured it too quick for sure. Have to say this I am still getting a bitter back end. All beers I have done so far have this unusual after taste that I do not think should be there. Either the ingredients are too bitter for my liking or this is how it is and have to get used to it. Must try some liquid Malt Extract for my next brew and my own yeast and dry hops..

Alan

6B1573B8-1C16-4B54-B602-2D35519A7B11.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

I have something similar glass. English Pub Draft at 21 days. Poured it too quick for sure. Have to say this I am still getting a bitter back end. All beers I have done so far have this unusual after taste that I do not think should be there. Either the ingredients are too bitter for my liking or this is how it is and have to get used to it. Must try some liquid Malt Extract for my next brew and my own yeast and dry hops..

Alan

6B1573B8-1C16-4B54-B602-2D35519A7B11.jpeg

Looking good however 21days is quite early and would suggest the bitterness would be attributed to this. The English Pub Draught is good at about 6 weeks, the bitterness should go and be replaced by some malt sweetness. Leave longer if you can ha ha

28 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi Mark, I have all my kegs on the shelf set to 50 days but I do tend to try one at about 3 weeks. I have noticed secondary at a longer period does improve taste. Just felt the need to try 🤪

thanks

Alan

Sure, we all do it and it is worthwhile to follow the development overtime. However just pointing out your bitterness concern.

• Thanks 1

Mark, yeah I know. The first brew I did was the Coopers XPA. Over 50 days now and I still have the odd backend taste. Much better for sure but still there. One thing I’m trying is spring water rather than distilled. My Pico Brew insisted on distilled but I’m thinking the Driod might spring, my tap water is not good enough. I just bottled the Ruby Porter and that was with spring water. So hoping this is the reason 🤪

Alan

1 hour ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Mark, yeah I know. The first brew I did was the Coopers XPA. Over 50 days now and I still have the odd backend taste. Much better for sure but still there. One thing I’m trying is spring water rather than distilled. My Pico Brew insisted on distilled but I’m thinking the Driod might spring, my tap water is not good enough. I just bottled the Ruby Porter and that was with spring water. So hoping this is the reason 🤪

Alan

In my review of the XPA on the BrewPrint description I stated there was a “delightful bitter finish support by strength in hops”

So I’m not sure about your “odd backend taste”. It could well be due to the distilled water, spring should be heaps better. Will be interesting. I use filtered tap water, works well.

Mark, odd to my taste buds. It could be you are more used to a bitter finish. The Narci I felt was the same where it should have been a bit smoother. Could be the distilled water, it could be the since this is an Australian system the elements are more for your tastes. The Narci had a ton of E5 which says firm bitterness. Might be the E5 does not suit my pallet at this time or as it seems some of my American friends.  Age does improve and I might have also jumped in a bit to quick with dry hops and overly hopped. I done the Lawn Mower and Ruby Porter as per the brewprint but was tempted to hop the lager. Porter as I said has spring water, lawn mower distilled but both are with out any alterations. That will be an interesting test. The final thought is the Driod plastic could originally give a plastic taste until used multiple times. Stainless Steel internal would a good next version. 

I am loving the system and can’t wait to try the dry hop filter and also maybe create my own wort or use LME.

Alan 

13 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Mark, odd to my taste buds. It could be you are more used to a bitter finish. The Narci I felt was the same where it should have been a bit smoother. Could be the distilled water, it could be the since this is an Australian system the elements are more for your tastes. The Narci had a ton of E5 which says firm bitterness. Might be the E5 does not suit my pallet at this time or as it seems some of my American friends.  Age does improve and I might have also jumped in a bit to quick with dry hops and overly hopped. I done the Lawn Mower and Ruby Porter as per the brewprint but was tempted to hop the lager. Porter as I said has spring water, lawn mower distilled but both are with out any alterations. That will be an interesting test. The final thought is the Driod plastic could originally give a plastic taste until used multiple times. Stainless Steel internal would a good next version. 

I am loving the system and can’t wait to try the dry hop filter and also maybe create my own wort or use LME.

Alan 

You could have a valid point as bitter ales are fairly typical of Australian and British tastes. To some degree you either enjoy bitter beers or you don’t so fully understand. I have not experienced any plastic taste and have three droids. Distilled water and a dislike for bitter beers may well be the issue.

Does your brother have similar thoughts about the taste/bitterness?

Cheers, Mark

Mark, he has not tried beer from the Driod just the Pico system. He loved that. I am English but lived in the US since 1996. He still lives in England. Hope this COVID shit ends soon so he can come back. He was much more of a real Ale drinker where I tended to lean towards European Beers like Stella, Paulaner etc. In the last 8 years or so lots of breweries have opened up locally. The big one is IPA and especially the NEIPA style. Not such a bitter tail end but more of a piney finish. 

I am sure I’ll get the hang of it, reckon some of my issue might be dry hoping and not really knowing how to 🤪 The pico system told when to add dry hops. I could also have over bittered by accident. The Pub draught had some after taste but I did try that early.

I will also look for a local brew shop and get fresh ingredients and create my own wort. This is one thing the Pico did. Created a brew with fresh grains. 

All good fun and great to chat to others. Thanks for the comments. I  think the Driod doing the fermentation is revolutionary and once I get the correct wort/ingredients I will be rocking. Not sure how long I have had the Driod  around 2 months I think but it’s worked flat out..lots to try out. Will start the highland IPA tonight 😎

Alan 

5C5F165F-BB35-4977-85EA-0F2EC0CFA82D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 09/08/2020 at 10:09 AM, Barrelboy said:

This glass is so good, noted they had 3 left for sale but when going through for purchase it was going to be 3 x $12.50 plus 3 x $12.50 postage = $75. So I sent the seller a message for all 3 at $60 including postage. Accepted, paid for and have tracking #. Can’t wait and really happy at $20 a glass. They are brand new so a bargain in my book. 
Why the extra? Love rotating glasses through the freezer, with only one of a style means you have to change.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

This glass is so good, noted they had 3 left for sale but when going through for purchase it was going to be 3 x $12.50 plus 3 x $12.50 postage = $75. So I sent the seller a message for all 3 at $60 including postage. Accepted, paid for and have tracking #. Can’t wait and really happy at $20 a glass. They are brand new so a bargain in my book. 
Why the extra? Love rotating glasses through the freezer, with only one of a style means you have to change.

Nice, really nice. When I bought mine, I am unsure if my fav bit was drinking from it, or my wife noticing the new glass and chosing to ignore it lest she get trapped in a conversation about beer...

• Upvote 1