KInd of funny story, woke up at about 6am this morning with the awful realisation that after I had finsished off the bottle of red and had a couple of stubbies, I put a long neck in the freezer to get it cold in case I wanted some more beer...and I couldn't remember taking it out.

Went to the freezer thinking, crap, that will be a bottle wrecked and opened the freezer to find no bottle. Thank god I thought, I had taken it out and put it in the fridge...no harm done, just a beer waiting for me after I mow the lawns and do some yard work this arvo, so I look in the fridge, no bottle there either.

I must be going crazy I think, I remember putting it in the freezer, where is it and then I look at the dining table, one empty longneck...which of course answers the question, why do I have such an effing hang over?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

KInd of funny story, woke up at about 6am this morning with the awful realisation that after I had finsished off the bottle of red and had a couple of stubbies, I put a long neck in the freezer to get it cold in case I wanted some more beer...and I couldn't remember taking it out.

Went to the freezer thinking, crap, that will be a bottle wrecked and opened the freezer to find no bottle. Thank god I thought, I had taken it out and put it in the fridge...no harm done, just a beer waiting for me after I mow the lawns and do some yard work this arvo, so I look in the fridge, no bottle there either.

I must be going crazy I think, I remember putting it in the freezer, where is it and then I look at the dining table, one empty longneck...which of course answers the question, why do I have such an effing hang over?

Not strange at all mate.

When we were a bit younger the wife and I came home from the pub and had a boozy feed of fish fingers and other greasy things.

The following week when we went to use the oven there was a entire plate of fish fingers inside complete with mayonnaise all over them.

• Haha 2

My first attempt of using the dry hop function was with a Mangrove Jack Citra Hopped Apple Cider. I had the notification to add hops on 27/08/20 it then cold crashed to 4c on 29/08/20. From reading the posts I should be able to keg today (48hrs post cold crash).

I used the custom brew option and manually selected the dry hop option. 
Once it went into dry hop mode the app did spin me out with the temp now going blank and ambient showing zero. The temp display showed a temp range of -1996 to 1996. 

82AD931C-D633-4D44-9972-5D33A8F6F42F.png

3 hours ago, Nick Radford said:

My first attempt of using the dry hop function was with a Mangrove Jack Citra Hopped Apple Cider. I had the notification to add hops on 27/08/20 it then cold crashed to 4c on 29/08/20. From reading the posts I should be able to keg today (48hrs post cold crash).

I used the custom brew option and manually selected the dry hop option. 
Once it went into dry hop mode the app did spin me out with the temp now going blank and ambient showing zero. The temp display showed a temp range of -1996 to 1996. 

82AD931C-D633-4D44-9972-5D33A8F6F42F.png

BrewArt have released another update P017 to fix up some bugs particularly about the dry hop mode. So don’t forget to update after you have kegged and things should be ok.

Hi All, I have been following the Facebook page and notice some people having issues when bottling with the hop filter not really catching debris.

I think it might be that the cold crash really does not allow much of the hops to come through so the filter will be fairly clear.

Anyway just in case I have some Muslin bags cut to add to the filter. I think I will try with-out and with to see what it catches. I assume I will cause a much slower flow so could be bottling for a while. Lawnmower has been on the go for close to 12 days now.. Hoping for EOF soon 🙂

~Alan

Dry Hop Filter.JPG

53 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi All, I have been following the Facebook page and notice some people having issues when bottling with the hop filter not really catching debris.

I think it might be that the cold crash really does not allow much of the hops to come through so the filter will be fairly clear.

Anyway just in case I have some Muslin bags cut to add to the filter. I think I will try with-out and with to see what it catches. I assume I will cause a much slower flow so could be bottling for a while. Lawnmower has been on the go for close to 12 days now.. Hoping for EOF soon 🙂

~Alan

Dry Hop Filter.JPG

Interesting in how that will go Alan. 
Your lawn mower at 12days seems a bit long. I’ve done 3 brews with 7, 8, and 7 days for EOF. Did you use the new Dry Hope mode?

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Yes indeed, 8 days for the last time. I expected a little longer since I think the beerdriod thinks it is doing dry hops which should add a few extra days. Because I started before they realized the issue when starting from Brewprint I expected issues. I dropped the hops in at day 7. I seeing bubbling so must be doing something. Hopefully EOF very soon.

I will let you know how the filter works. I have seen some people bottle at storage temp. I wonder if bringing back to keg temp will disturb the hops and make them float again. I am considering bottle at storage temp after 48 hours. Then manually force ending the the brew. I assume just powering off will finish the brew once bottled. I cannot bring back to keg temp when empty so not sure I will have the Tick available,

Will keep you posted

~Alan

• Upvote 1

Since I am really close to 12 days I am sure I will hit EOF very soon on the lawnmower. To be fair it’s a bit different to the standard. I dry hopped with 75g of Citra, mosaic and galaxy. 

I poured a small glassful to see. Very cloudy at first but smelled fantastic. In fridge for 1 hour and settling nicely. I hope it retains some of the cloudiness. I am really trying to get close to NEIPA look. 

I will leave the sample in the fridge to see how it settles. When it looks settled I will manually pour through the filter to see how well it handles things. 

Alan

5A42041A-175D-428E-AD99-6EC6B0DD60B5.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Mark, exactly 24 hours from start & propagation to entered fermentation zone. Then 1.5 hours until it detected fermentation. 

Exactly 24 hours to the minute from start to enter fermentation zone seems odd if you asks me.

I am still on version 16, need to wait until this brew is finished to update to 17. My guess there must be issues with firmware 16.

Alan

0A6884A7-EEA3-4A1E-9444-3BF819420AD2.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Mark, exactly 24 hours from start & propagation to entered fermentation zone. Then 1.5 hours until it detected fermentation. 

Exactly 24 hours to the minute from start to enter fermentation zone seems odd if you asks me.

I am still on version 16, need to wait until this brew is finished to update to 17. My guess there must be issues with firmware 16.

Alan

0A6884A7-EEA3-4A1E-9444-3BF819420AD2.jpeg

No that’s correct, it’s 12hrs from propagation zone to fermentation 12.01pm to 12.01am (every brew 12hrs). Good quick fermentation start, good yeast.

Cheers Mark

Mark, I use SAFALE-04 and I’ll be honest I was rushing and started the elements before yeast. I opened a hole in the element and poured in the yeast. I was a tad worried some stuck to the starsan spoon I used. So I did dump a little extra from an open packet. Might have more yeast than needed 🤪

so a combo of extra yeast and the dry hop function maybe the issue with the longer fermentation. That said the sample brew I have in the fridge has settled nicely and left the cloudy look I’m after. It smells Fantastic and with no secondary tastes great.

pretty sure my mess up with actually be my best...

alan 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Since I am really close to 12 days I am sure I will hit EOF very soon on the lawnmower. To be fair it’s a bit different to the standard. I dry hopped with 75g of Citra, mosaic and galaxy. 

G'day Alan

I'm just about to do another order and have never done the Lawnmower before and do love a hoppy beer. Just wondering how much of each hop variety you used?

Cheers Mick

@Alan BatchelorMy Narci Citrus IPA is at 15 days 18 hours and it's still fermenting. I'm also still on firmware P016 as I had this brew underway when P017 was released.

I just dry hopped as per my normal process when the fermentation appeared to be slowing down but it's completely surprised me and just keeps on going and going.

It will be very interesting to see how this one turns out.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mick said:

G'day Alan

I'm just about to do another order and have never done the Lawnmower before and do love a hoppy beer. Just wondering how much of each hop variety you used?

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick,

for full disclosure the lawnmower is not standard. I am trying to develop a NEIPA style beer. Here’s what is used.

E5 x 2, X1 x 1, X2 x 1, SAFALE-04 yeast. 

Dry hopped at day 8 with 

25g of Citra, Galaxy and Mosiac

I am coming up on 13days very unusual for a lawnmower if you ask me but again I messed with the recipe and we do have the issue with problems of firmware. 

hope EOF soon.

Alan

Hi All, 15 days in for my hybrid lawnmower lager. Still claims it is fermenting. I had to see for myself so opened the lid quickly. Wow the smell is phenomenal and I can see it still fermenting. Quite a bit of activity at the top. I am not sure if it will make EOF by itself. It might go to the 20 days. But I am pretty sure it is in good shape. Like I said the aroma was great. 

Really looking forward to this brew. Worse case 5 more days and 2 cold crashing 🤪

Alan

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi All, 15 days in for my hybrid lawnmower lager. Still claims it is fermenting. I had to see for myself so opened the lid quickly. Wow the smell is phenomenal and I can see it still fermenting. Quite a bit of activity at the top. I am not sure if it will make EOF by itself. It might go to the 20 days. But I am pretty sure it is in good shape. Like I said the aroma was great. 

Really looking forward to this brew. Worse case 5 more days and 2 cold crashing 🤪

Alan

Hi Alan,

My Narci Citrus IPA reached EOF at 16 days 1 hour. Like yours it smelt amazing. So I threw in another 50 grams of Mosaic to kick it along. 150 grams of hops in total.

It should move cold crash tonight, rest a few more days then time to keg.

It will be interesting to see how the next firmware update improves the process overall.

Hi @Dustin Frothman fingers crossed for an EOF very soon then. As for the hops wow you threw some in. I went with 25g of Citra, mosiac and galaxy. My initial taste test gave quite a bite 😛 I want to stay on the low side for now until I get a good feeling for the bitterness. I put mine at 7 days so has been stewing for a lot longer than I normally would dry hop for. Wondering if this will have impact , as in more than I am used to..

Alan

Alan, Dustin

I'm in the very early stages of brewing and getting my head around hops and bitterness - i have always loved a good hoppy beer  and was drinking some lovely hoppy beers at local watering hole for fathers day which got me thinking about the flavours, hops etc.

With the brews you have mentioned above have you ever done the bittering hops at the start of the brew?

I messaged the brewart team, recently about the Hallertau hops they use for Weihenstephan which is added at the start of the brew - Brewart said this can be done by boiling a couple of litres of water, turn off add hops for 60mins, cool then strain into the droid. 

Now i know this is wheat beer but was wondering if you did it with a IPA would it the give the beer a fuller depth of flavour?

I dry hopped an APA recently and came out tasting lovely but would love to achieve that lovely depth a flavour or lingering taste along the lines of Little Creatures Pale Ale.

4 hours ago, Mick said:

Alan, Dustin

I'm in the very early stages of brewing and getting my head around hops and bitterness - i have always loved a good hoppy beer  and was drinking some lovely hoppy beers at local watering hole for fathers day which got me thinking about the flavours, hops etc.

With the brews you have mentioned above have you ever done the bittering hops at the start of the brew?

I messaged the brewart team, recently about the Hallertau hops they use for Weihenstephan which is added at the start of the brew - Brewart said this can be done by boiling a couple of litres of water, turn off add hops for 60mins, cool then strain into the droid. 

Now i know this is wheat beer but was wondering if you did it with a IPA would it the give the beer a fuller depth of flavour?

I dry hopped an APA recently and came out tasting lovely but would love to achieve that lovely depth a flavour or lingering taste along the lines of Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Hi Mick,

I'm fairly early on in my journey with the Brewart system but am considering doing a brew with a mini-mash and early hops soon.

For now I am working through the Brewprints that interest me and experimenting with dry hopping. So far so good - the XPA and APA (5g /L) are really nice - aromatic and bitter. I have purposely loaded up the hops on the Narci Citrus IPA (15g /L) to see how it goes. I'll be kegging in the next few days and will let you know after 6 weeks conditioning.

Cheers.

Mick, I am early into brewing with the Driod also. I think the one I have going now is only my 8th brew. I have generally stuck to brewprints but tweaked the ingredients. I did try dry hoping in a Muslin bag but think I might have used to much. Current brew is 25g of each Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy. The one thing I am trying to eliminate is the odd after taste that I seem to get. Switched to spring water from distilled, will use only dry hops and not the pouches and will use sugar not the carbonation drops supplied. If that does not work then it’s the dried ingredients and elements that don’t quite sit with me. I will brew my next beer with an LME (liquid malt extract) 

Alan