@Dustin Frothman AKA Tom Cooper 🙂

I used 75g at day 7. I am at 18 days 20 hours. It will test again at 19 days. Maybe this will work.

Yes I taste tested because I thought I might have spoiled the beer. Seems that at day 11 it was fine but an extra 8 days does worry me.

If I do not get EOF at 19 days I will take a small sample again..

Fingers crossed and really can't wait to update the driod.. This is killing me with it being so long 🙂

Alan

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alan Batchelor said:

@Dustin Frothman AKA Tom Cooper 🙂

I used 75g at day 7. I am at 18 days 20 hours. It will test again at 19 days. Maybe this will work.

Yes I taste tested because I thought I might have spoiled the beer. Seems that at day 11 it was fine but an extra 8 days does worry me.

If I do not get EOF at 19 days I will take a small sample again..

Fingers crossed and really can't wait to update the driod.. This is killing me with it being so long 🙂

Alan

I know how you feel. The long ferment on the Narci (and my wife visiting from home for a few days) means I'm now running out of beer. 😵

And yes that's my moniker on Facebook. I started that account solely to interact with the user group, otherwise I haven't used that platform for a decade. I'm not really into social media.👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

Hi All, wow now that was a marathon, 19 days and 2 hours to EOF. Cold crashing for 48 hours. Bottling on the weekend. 

I have high hopes for this brew.

~Alan

Hi @Alan Batchelor,

That EOF time is quite excessive especially for an Ale, I suggest giving the BrewArt team a call to look over your logs for an insight as to why so long.

Did you add the dry hops before being prompted by the BeerDroid? Adding the hops too early could possibly mess with the EOF determination. 

Either way, sounds like your brew is going to be a winner!

@xpsTech I think it was a combo of things...

Started the first dry hop brew and then Brewart came out with a new Driod firmware update to fix when the dry hops would are added when starting from a brewprint.

I knew this so took an educated guess on the dry hops timing based on previous lawn mower brews. (Day 7)

I also had a bit of hiccup when starting. I was rushing to go somewhere and started with the extract before yeast. I had to open a hole in the middle of the extract to allow me to pour in yeast. It clumped a bit so with a sterilized spoon I pushed it in to the water.. But some yeast stuck to the spoon. So to compensate I added a little extra from an open packet. So I may have used too much yeast. 

But regardless of the issues the brew tasted and smelled great. Very confident this brew will be excellent.

~Alan

Finally bottled the lawnmower using the hop filter. Worked as expected but first two bottles took extra time. Poured very slowly, had to keep releasing and pushing down. But after the 3rd it seemed as normal. After opening the lid to clean I could see all the hops nicely at the bottom. I used 75g and the sediment was well below the tap. So think could easily handle double amount with out to much in the way of clogging. I never had to clean the filter.

still smelled wonderful and tasted spot on. Will try a bottle in a few weeks.🍺

~Alan

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rob Courtney said:

My thinking is if they are going for optimum time then 24 hours before EOF would be ideal but I'd probably only leave it a day after that for me

I agree. It's a change from the conventional wisdom regarding when to dry hop.

It could be that programmatically it is tricky to time the dry hopping window for so many different yeasts and recipes. Perhaps over time it'll be fine tuned as they gather more brew data from us all.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I agree. It's a change from the conventional wisdom regarding when to dry hop.

It could be that programmatically it is tricky to time the dry hopping window for so many different yeasts and recipes. Perhaps over time it'll be fine tuned as they gather more brew data from us all.

Guinea pigs huh?

1 minute ago, Rob Courtney said:

OMG, I guess it will be an experiment to how that makes the hops go as far as flavour goes. Not a huge fan of hops in the brew for too much longer than 48 hours but will give it a try.

It'll be good to hear how you think it compares to the old recipe.

Without the cold crash the filter is unlikely to keep up. I'm still a little amazed at how many users on the Facebook group complained that the filter didn't work yet they neglected to follow the process and cold crash first. 

RTFM!

2 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

It'll be good to hear how you think it compares to the old recipe.

Without the cold crash the filter is unlikely to keep up. I'm still a little amazed at how many users on the Facebook group complained that the filter didn't work yet they neglected to follow the process and cold crash first. 

RTFM!

I'd like to say I am surprised, I really do

I'm not though 

• Haha 1