Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just put this one down after updating the droid firmware. Used the custom mode set the dry hop addition to on.
 

I’m wondering, as if bottling using the liquid sachets you need to add to the droid and wait 24hrs if this dry hop setting is not adding 24hrs to when fermentation has actually finished. Time will tell.
 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just kegged this after stopping the brewing process at 12days fermentation. No sign of the dry hop function activating yet. The appearance of the brew suggested no fermentation activity and suspect the Y1 2017 yeast (which recieved in 2019) had something to do with this lengthy fermentation process. Look and smelt great, can’t wait to taste.

Warning :- as I keg into stainless steel kegs if fermentation hasn’t quite finished then it will finish off in the keg with no harm done. However if you bottle you have the likelihood of “bottle bombs” or if using BrewFlo kegs the likelihood of over carbonation if not excessive swelling of the keg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark be interesting to see how hoppy this turns out. Putting this one down after bottling the Tea Party Lager, tomorrow. Updating firmware for dry hops. Thinking this as a session IPA might be a bit light on. So thinking of double hopping it. 50grams if each. Like a good hoppy beer. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Mark be interesting to see how hoppy this turns out. Putting this one down after bottling the Tea Party Lager, tomorrow. Updating firmware for dry hops. Thinking this as a session IPA might be a bit light on. So thinking of double hopping it. 50grams if each. Like a good hoppy beer. 

If you really like a hoppy beer then 50g of each will suit. I generally like to conform to the recipe on the first run then can decide on my likings/adjustments for the next batch. Will be sampling soon (it’s in the fridge carbonated) so will let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark. Be looking forward to your review. I really don't like the word "session" when it comes to IPA's. My view is IPA's should me big and bold. There now is so much cross over between Pales, XPA's and IPA's, true IPA's have lost there identity. If you want to "session" get a Summer Ale. Old school IPA drinker, before they become trendy.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks Mark. Be looking forward to your review. I really don't like the word "session" when it comes to IPA's. My view is IPA's should me big and bold. There now is so much cross over between Pales, XPA's and IPA's, true IPA's have lost there identity. If you want to "session" get a Summer Ale. Old school IPA drinker, before they become trendy.

Good points Robert.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

@Barrelboy Mark, How do you manually stop the brew process? I think I want to stop my Lawnmower and put into storage.

I can not see where on how to force end.

If you could advise I would appreciate it.

~Alan

 

 

From your other post it seems EOF has finally been achieved however for the record if EOF is not detected after 20days the Droid will advise that and auto go to the keg mode. (use of a hydrometer is recommended if kegging/bottling then). However if left in the keg mode it will go to store mode after 2 days as per normal or you can press the store mode to avoid the 2 days wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2020 at 5:41 AM, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks Mark. Be looking forward to your review. I really don't like the word "session" when it comes to IPA's. My view is IPA's should me big and bold. There now is so much cross over between Pales, XPA's and IPA's, true IPA's have lost there identity. If you want to "session" get a Summer Ale. Old school IPA drinker, before they become trendy.

Did a review in the Brewprint as follows:-

“Kegged after a 12 day fermentation, dry hopped the Simcoe and Mosaic at day 7 (manually) using ss hop bomb. Just over 3 weeks and it is certainly a “session-able” drop. Very clear golden colour, white healthy head. Fruity flavours, earthy and with matching aroma, the hops sure come through. Bitter finish with the hop domination. Boy I like this one, it’s up on the Coopers Session Ale, up on the Coopers XPA so a good addition.”

Doubling the hops would be too much for me, 25g of each suits me well.

Alan, sorry forgot. To manually stop the fermentation just press the tick button and switch the Droid off. It won’t record the kegs being stored as it thinks there is a fault.

0266D6A8-F787-4AAD-BCB2-517A508698BA.thumb.jpeg.21dba9e493e06bb5293978f7b9b45926.jpeg
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good review Mark. Have this in the droid now. Droid firmware updated for dry hopping. Think I will double hop this, might be light on for me. Interesting you say this has some bitterness. It is rated quite low for bitterness. Interesting to see when the hop notification comes. Looks good

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Good review Mark. Have this in the droid now. Droid firmware updated for dry hopping. Think I will double hop this, might be light on for me. Interesting you say this has some bitterness. It is rated quite low for bitterness. Interesting to see when the hop notification comes. Looks good

 

Thanks. It’s not overly bitter as a “bitter” ale would be, I think it’s hop driven type bitterness in the final after taste, and I like that. On the bitterness scale it sits mid way, and I’d agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/09/2020 at 1:05 PM, Robert Pretty said:

Good review Mark. Have this in the droid now. Droid firmware updated for dry hopping. Think I will double hop this, might be light on for me. Interesting you say this has some bitterness. It is rated quite low for bitterness. Interesting to see when the hop notification comes. Looks good

 

Let us know when you sample this one, did you double up on the hops?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mark

Be 3.5 weeks on Saturday. So will crack a longy and let you, know. Brewed with the Brewprint dry hops supplied. Didn't add any additional. The Coopers XPA dry hopper, I just bottled. I added additional 25g of Centennial. Interesting see how it turns out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi Mark

Be 3.5 weeks on Saturday. So will crack a longy and let you, know. Brewed with the Brewprint dry hops supplied. Didn't add any additional. The Coopers XPA dry hopper, I just bottled. I added additional 25g of Centennial. Interesting see how it turns out. 

 

Thanks Robert. I think you’ll love the XPA with the centennial and will go down a treat.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good hot summer slammer after day on the farm. Not super hoppy, not super bitter, not to fruity. After 3.5 weeks , will get better with age. I like my hoppy IPA'S. This will be perfect to wash the dust now. Before partaking in something hoppier. I agree with Mark this is a good everyday drinker. I would be keen double hop this. But I will keep it the this way as it is a perfect session IPA. For that hot summer days. This will be very sessionable in the flow.

IMG_20201017_191853738.jpg

IMG_20201017_192000612.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robert Pretty said:

This is good hot summer slammer after day on the farm. Not super hoppy, not super bitter, not to fruity. After 3.5 weeks , will get better with age. I like my hoppy IPA'S. This will be perfect to wash the dust now. Before partaking in something hoppier. I agree with Mark this is a good everyday drinker. I would be keen double hop this. But I will keep it the this way as it is a perfect session IPA. For that hot summer days. This will be very sessionable in the flow.

IMG_20201017_191853738.jpg

IMG_20201017_192000612.jpg

That looks brilliant mate. 

Love your IPA glass too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kegged today after fermentation finished yesterday so dry hopped 24hrs. (20 Simcoe , 20g mosaic)

What’s interesting was 6 days to EOF with Y1 yeast dated 2019 whereas previous brew EOF was 12 days with 2017 yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...