Belgian Lager

Pursya

Bottled this yesterday and I don't think I have one on my new order. How times have changed, there was a time I'd order 3 Belgian lagers and then others but there are just so many good beers. Of course I have no doubt this will be one of the finest Belgian Lagers I have ever brewded and I'll kick myself for not ordering one in the new order

24 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Bottled this yesterday and I don't think I have one on my new order. How times have changed, there was a time I'd order 3 Belgian lagers and then others but there are just so many good beers. Of course I have no doubt this will be one of the finest Belgian Lagers I have ever brewded and I'll kick myself for not ordering one in the new order

It’s a problem when you buy recipes, I don’t do that. I know the most used ingredients and I order to stock up. Bit hard to explain but I have excess, in other words I’ve built up commonly used ingredients and therefore I can brew what I wish. Hope it makes sense.

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

It’s a problem when you buy recipes, I don’t do that. I know the most used ingredients and I order to stock up. Bit hard to explain but I have excess, in other words I’ve built up commonly used ingredients and therefore I can brew what I wish. Hope it makes sense.

It makes total sense and it may be a way I go later on but at the moment, I'd rather do as I'm doing. The best thing for me is to try and spread out my beers so I don't over indulge in the one type and then get sick of it. I'm kinda stoked that I have so many options that I can look forward to a brewing schedule. 

I guess by doing it via recipies allows me the opportunity to say "hmmm, haven't done that one" which is what will happen next order with Lighthouse pale ale (Galaxy my man

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Brewdroid and the forum and am hoping for some advice. Have been very impressed with this community from what I've read so far.

Currently on my second brew, the Belgian Lager, following the success of an Aztec Cerveza. I started the Lager through the app on 7/11/21, and all seems to be going well, which is great. However I've just received a text notification that fermentation is complete and my brew is ready to keg, yet I haven't added the liquid hops for this brew.

• Do I add these to the droid prior to kegging (I'm using ikegger) or should I put them in the keg before transferring across the contents of the droid?
  • If I add them to the droid prior to transferring to the keg, does the droid need to be in 'storage' mode or 'kegging' mode or is it irrelevant? How long should the hops then remain in the droid prior to transfer to the keg?
  • Was I meant to receive notification to add the hops? I started the brew from the app after tapping the icon on the "shelf" via the app. Maybe I've done this incorrectly...

I found some information on this on another post, suggesting it is ok to add the liquid hops to the droid, no stirring, and then leave for at least 24 hrs before kegging. Should I follow this?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or sharing of experience. This process is already far more fun than I had expected!

Jonson

PS: The Aztec Cerveza was a hit but probably under-carbonated. I think I rushed the gassing in my eagerness, but the beer was still rapidly consumed in one sitting by me and a few mates, and received several compliments as well. Adding a slice of lemon did wonders.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jonson said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Brewdroid and the forum and am hoping for some advice. Have been very impressed with this community from what I've read so far.

Currently on my second brew, the Belgian Lager, following the success of an Aztec Cerveza. I started the Lager through the app on 7/11/21, and all seems to be going well, which is great. However I've just received a text notification that fermentation is complete and my brew is ready to keg, yet I haven't added the liquid hops for this brew.

• Do I add these to the droid prior to kegging (I'm using ikegger) or should I put them in the keg before transferring across the contents of the droid?
  • If I add them to the droid prior to transferring to the keg, does the droid need to be in 'storage' mode or 'kegging' mode or is it irrelevant? How long should the hops then remain in the droid prior to transfer to the keg?
  • Was I meant to receive notification to add the hops? I started the brew from the app after tapping the icon on the "shelf" via the app. Maybe I've done this incorrectly...

I found some information on this on another post, suggesting it is ok to add the liquid hops to the droid, no stirring, and then leave for at least 24 hrs before kegging. Should I follow this?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or sharing of experience. This process is already far more fun than I had expected!

Jonson

PS: The Aztec Cerveza was a hit but probably under-carbonated. I think I rushed the gassing in my eagerness, but the beer was still rapidly consumed in one sitting by me and a few mates, and received several compliments as well. Adding a slice of lemon did wonders.

Welcome Jonson. You should gently add the liquid hops to the Droid before kegging & preferably when at kegging temp. Leave for 24 to 48 hours for the liquid to diffuse. Do not stir. You will only receive notification to add hops if you are using a Dry Hop brew and you have turned on the notification in the app. Re your Aztec, I add 80gm of Maltodextrin [dried corn syrup] at the start of my brews to improve head. You need to leave the lager a minimum 2 weeks for secondary fermentation and carbonation. The Belgian Lager is one of my Faves. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the rapid response  - much appreciated.

The droid is in storage mode at the moment but I'll be kegging on the weekend. I'll try adding the hops directly to the keg and then leave it for a good couple of weeks as suggested.

Thanks also EBH for the tip of adding Maltodextrin to the Aztec. Will give that a go next time.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

Hi all,

Update: have kegged the beer today. After sanitization I added the hops liquid to the chilled keg, then added the beer from the droid through the ball lock spear. Have then added CO2 gas at 20 psi for about 1 min, and burped the keg a few times to let the O2 out.

Will let it sit for at least 2 weeks in the cellar under the stairs (sitting about 15 degs maybe?), before chilling and gassing at ~12 psi overnight. Then a first pour.

There's a good amount of positive chatter in this community about this beer so am looking forward to it. 👍🍻

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...