Jump to content
Steve G

Kegging Primer - Changed Versus Videos?

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I just got my new droid - 'Frothimus Prime' and he's bubbling away on Bombshell Blonde right now. Just have a question regarding the kegging primer:

  • In a lot of the videos, the primer appears to be a squirtable liquid solution....
  • .... in my BrewPrint kit, these two items aren't labelled with anything to say obviously [P] or "Kegging Primer" 
  • .... and they're a solid pair of tubular packets not a squirty-sachet affair.

Going out on a limb here, I suspect the format of the primer has changed and is now a solid that'll dissolve inside the keg liner - but just wanting to confirm, just worried I need to crack open the unit and throw those two in quickly. I suspect I've done the right thing though.

Cheers

-Steve

 

Edited by Steven Gray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Steven Gray said:

Hey all,

I just got my new droid - 'Frothimus Prime' and he's bubbling away on Bombshell Blonde right now. Just have a question regarding the kegging primer:

  • In a lot of the videos, the primer appears to be a squirtable liquid solution....
  • .... in my BrewPrint kit, these two items aren't labelled with anything to say obviously [P] or "Kegging Primer" 
  • .... and they're a solid pair of tubular packets not a squirty-sachet affair.

Going out on a limb here, I suspect the format of the primer has changed and is now a solid that'll dissolve inside the keg liner - but just wanting to confirm, just worried I need to crack open the unit and throw those two in quickly. I suspect I've done the right thing though.

Cheers

-Steve

 

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. You are correct, there was recently a change from the liquid primer to solid. As you state,  one for each keg and not in the droid.

Cheers, Mark

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids  - I can now sleep peacefully. I've been eyeing the unit and googling everything on kegging.

 

I might send them an email (or do they read the forum?) as as a new user, could have been simpler with just potentially labelling change - or at least a generic line on the insert in the pack with the dry hops (There's a printed sheet in there anyway).  "Use one of the two solid primer tubes", and it'd avoid a little confusion. There's also a few of the YouTube videos linked to in the 101 section on the site that aren't linked correctly to their YouTube channel too that threw me when I was trying to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Steve G said:

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids  - I can now sleep peacefully. I've been eyeing the unit and googling everything on kegging.

 

I might send them an email (or do they read the forum?) as as a new user, could have been simpler with just potentially labelling change - or at least a generic line on the insert in the pack with the dry hops (There's a printed sheet in there anyway).  "Use one of the two solid primer tubes", and it'd avoid a little confusion. There's also a few of the YouTube videos linked to in the 101 section on the site that aren't linked correctly to their YouTube channel too that threw me when I was trying to figure it out.

There is a community suggestions thread in Brewart Banter, the guys will read that one if you have a suggestion or you can tag them with Brewart with an @ at the front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2020 at 5:47 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. You are correct, there was recently a change from the liquid primer to solid. As you state,  one for each keg and not in the droid.

Cheers, Mark

Hello, Mark -- can you clarify -- are the solid primer sticks to be inserted into the silver keg liners AFTER they have been inserted into the kegs but BEFORE the beer is added?  (In other words, they'll kind of drop to the bottom of the silver liners?) Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patrick Freer said:

Hello, Mark -- can you clarify -- are the solid primer sticks to be inserted into the silver keg liners AFTER they have been inserted into the kegs but BEFORE the beer is added?  (In other words, they'll kind of drop to the bottom of the silver liners?) Thank you.

You can do either (before or after beer added) however I think most do before the beer. However they will drop to the bottom like the sugar tabs do when bottling. This is not a worry as it will dissolve and the yeast will quickly attack it to produce the carbonation/co2.

Cheers

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a first timer and just put a coopers session ale in the droid I have just read up on the hops been added so will wait for it to ping me when to add I have purchased a 10 litre keg from ikegger do I put 2 primers in my keg before pouring from droid

mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trish Fielding said:

I am a first timer and just put a coopers session ale in the droid I have just read up on the hops been added so will wait for it to ping me when to add I have purchased a 10 litre keg from ikegger do I put 2 primers in my keg before pouring from droid

mike

High Trish and welcome to the forum. You’ll love the Session Ale, one of my favourites.

Yes, you put the 2 primers in the keg if not using co2 to carbonate the ale.

How are you going to dispense the ale when it’s ready? Mini reg, co2 bulb, and click on tap per the ikegger set up?

Cheers, Mark 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Trish Fielding said:

Thanks I’m going to keg from droid as per the video from ikegger

Yes that’s filling the keg, and that’s fine but how will you be dispensing the ale after carbonation with the primers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Trish Fielding said:

I’m also waiting on my hop filter if it doesn’t arrive in time can I still put hops in but in a cloth of some sort 

Now I take it that you set the hop notification via the custom mode so it will tell you when to add the hops. If you don’t have the filter you can put the hops in some sanitised cheese cloth or pure white cotton. Make a pouch and tie off the top with sanitised string/white cotton.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had trouble with wifi to phone had wifi connection to droid so started it manually its fermenting now but I didn’t customise the hops to know when to put in I watched a couple of videos and they said at end of fermentation what should I do after carbonationwith primers using the little sod a stream bottle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Trish Fielding said:

We had trouble with wifi to phone had wifi connection to droid so started it manually its fermenting now but I didn’t customise the hops to know when to put in I watched a couple of videos and they said at end of fermentation what should I do after carbonationwith primers using the little sod a stream bottle 

Ok, at end of fermentation add the hops and leave 24hrs or a bit more won’t hurt. Once the ale is carbonated (2weeks) then yes connect your soda stream system, by that a mean attached to a mini reg, and dispense via a tap to the keg out post.

I take it you have that equipment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...