RUBY PORTER

Brad Quinn

15 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

You have enough supplies until then? I’m waiting for this month’s offer and will order to cover me through until February.

It really depends on if i will be naughty or nice with beers for the next 4 weeks 🤣. I have a Highland IPA and a Tiger in secondary, a 4 leaf in the droid now and a EPD and Weissbier to come. A tempting monthly offer might put it over the line for me though lol

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/09/2020 at 11:58 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

7 weeks kegged, very nice drop. Full creamy head, a sweetness akin to crystal malt (caramel/toffee) with a pleasant bitter finish. A bit thin but I don’t mind that, it’s tasty and can enjoy a few of theses.F4C0DDC2-486F-4A9B-AC52-5A721013559F.thumb.jpeg.06ee604f0d957565780ecd7d564fcae4.jpeg25E25C8E-C027-495E-ACE2-574292EA863D.thumb.jpeg.1c2f48585dbbd7c3c9ee86f749d08602.jpeg

@Captain 3 Droids

I'm intending to brew this one next.

What do you recommend I add to the brew to improve the body and mouthfeel? I'd like to achieve a "thicker" porter than what you describe. 

3 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Captain 3 Droids

I'm intending to brew this one next.

What do you recommend I add to the brew to improve the body and mouthfeel? I'd like to achieve a "thicker" porter than what you describe. 

80g of maltodextrin dissolved and added to the droid water prior to yeast etc. It is non fermentable so no increase in alcohol % but adds body, mouthfeel and helps with head retention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

80g of maltodextrin dissolved and added to the droid water prior to yeast etc. It is non fermentable so no increase in alcohol % but adds body, mouthfeel and helps with head retention.

Thank you.

Should I just grab that at the home-brew store or is there a Coopers DIY Beer ingredients pack that contains it? My local Foodland is quite well stocked.

I do like to keep a bit of money flowing back to our sponsors here where I can.

8 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Captain 3 Droids  I just wanted to check with you before I get going on this one:

Earlier in the thread you thought 250g of Maltodextrin to improve the body and in the last few posts a third of that quantity at 80g.

Which do you recommend? I bought a 500g bag.

Good question. The 250g was to rectify a thinness issue but for mouthfeel, improve body the 80g for 10l.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I’ll probably do a full soak of the Droid with sodium percarbonate at the end of this brew. I don’t think the @Captain 3 Droids  patented cleaning method (which is excellent by the way) will suffice this time around. 😆

Will be a good excuse to finally get Droid #2 fired up.

Out of interest I still do it the normal way except after I’ve given a basic wash down with the spray pump, a wipe out with a few wet paper towels, removes 80%, then spray again etc etc.

However Dustin it would be good to fire up number 2 (you slack ………)😂

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...