Jump to content
Brad Quinn

SANITISING BOTTLES

Recommended Posts

Just a triple rinse with water, then use them straight away. If you want to be super thorough, you can wash them in a mild unscented bleach solution.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got some no-rinse sanitiser from my local home brew store which I think is basically sodium percarbonate.

Assuming the bottles are already "clean" then I just fill the sink with some warm water and add a few teaspoons of that in and give them a quick soak.
Touch wood, I've not (in the 5 brews I've done) had a contamination using this method

Cheers,
Ian

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only ever kegged brews so looking forward to having a few long necks in the fridge. Can anyone give me a quality comparison between kegged and bottled brew pints? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duffman said:

Definitely shouldn't get any contamination with that routine. How do you find head retention in the beer?

It has varied on each brew as I've not yet done the same brew twice.

Wasn't aware that sodium percarbonate messed with head retention though, so now I'm tempted to try something different to see if it makes any difference.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always rinse out the bottles once finished pouring.

If my bottles have sat around for weeks empty (with or without lids), I wash them in a alkaline detergent. If they are getting turned over quickly, I just use water.

I use sodium metabisulphite in a spray bottle and use that to spray sanitiser in droid, bottles and all equipment. Spray extra in bottles and make sure every surface is touched, tip out excess and then leave for an hour before rinsing three times minimum. Never had a problem and I have brewed many times.

I find bottles better for controlling the amount of head poured, flavours are identical as far as I am concerned. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wash out the bottles immediately after pouring the beer, fill about 1/3 of the bottle shake, tip, repeat and it looks pretty clean.  Then on bottling day it is a no rinse sanitiser, vinator and bottle tree immediately prior to bottling.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the thoughts of the community on using the droid cleanse liquid (once the droid has been sanitised) to fill up my swing top bottles and stick the lid on and leave them until I need to bottle, then just a quick rinse.

Anyone see issues with the second use of the droid cleanse liquid?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that considering the droids are always pretty clean when they get sanitised, the left over sanitiser should be just fine to keep working for you.

I think that is a pretty good idea to save water and costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are using the Droid cleanse tablets, I suspect that these are a phosphoric acid base just like a product called "Star San"

The manufacturer of star san states that the product can be reused several times.

Maybe some one else can verify this or has a different opinion, but I think you would be fine to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2017 at 7:04 PM, Damian Ryan said:

If you are using the Droid cleanse tablets, I suspect that these are a phosphoric acid base just like a product called "Star San"

The manufacturer of star san states that the product can be reused several times.

Maybe some one else can verify this or has a different opinion, but I think you would be fine to do that.

I have had an issue with my tap shedding its chrome.

Brewart have replaced the tap and asked me what I used for sanitation.

In reply I asked them about the suitability of Star San.

The reply was that they have only started testing it on their hardware but that it is a product that has been used for a long time in general brewing so they don't think there will be an issue.

But right now there is no guarantees.

I have not use Star San yet despite purchasing a bottle.

Edited by Pursya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/02/2017 at 6:58 PM, Pursya said:

I have had an issue with my tap shedding its chrome.

Brewart have replaced the tap and asked me what I used for sanitation.

In reply I asked them about the suitability of Star San.

The reply was that they have only started testing it on their hardware but that it is a product that has been used for a long time in general brewing so they don't think there will be an issue.

But right now there is no guarantees.

I have not use Star San yet despite purchasing a bottle.

I have also had an issue with my tap shedding its chrome. However it did so after only 1 brew and being washed in plain old tap water. The only sanitation it got was the run off from the droid cleansing exercise using the Brewart sanitiser - so no sanitiser touched the outside of the tap. I did have the brew in storage mode for about 10 days as I was overseas on holidays and it is very humid where I live so maybe the condensation had something to do with it. Brewart are sending me a new tap in the mail just in case. Based on my plain old tap water experience I would say the sanitiser you are using probably didn't cause the chrome to shed. I think it is just a quality control issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think BrewArt were trying to accuse me of mishandling the sanitisation process. Just wanting to collect information to help understand the issue.

I never felt any accusation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pursya said:

I don't think BrewArt were trying to accuse me of mishandling the sanitisation process. Just wanting to collect information to help understand the issue.

I never felt any accusation.

I want implying that. Just noting my experience with water only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...