Beer Blending

Something that doesn’t seemed to be discussed much is the blending of beers. It is very helpful in the experimentation and in improving brews that are perhaps to your dislike.
It is achievable simply if you bottle, have 2 or more BrewFlo units or the various stainless keg setups with 2 or more taps or easily changeable beer connections between kegs. I have used it mainly for experimentation and will discuss this first. 
Experimentation 

A simple example is take A Coopers Pacific Pale Ale that calls for dry hopping with Galaxy. So you brew it with say 25g of the hops. Then you brew it with another hop, say 25g of mosaic. After carbonation (now although the age/maturity of each will be different I don’t believe this will alter outcomes to any great degree) you pour a glass with half of each thus having a Pacific Pale Ale that is in a sense dry hopped with Galaxy and Mosaic. You like it? so your next brew could well be this.
Now that’s a simple example however look at the experimental possibilities, the trials of hop combinations including even the steeping of hops and/or grains.

Improving Brews (perhaps to your dislike)

I have on occasions had brews that I find a bit weak, a bit too strong or just don’t like (not infected). So I have blended them in the glass, half and half, 3/4 with a 1/4 etc and quickly find the proportions that makes a real positive change. It can be an ale with an ale, an ale with a lager etc. 

Have a think about the above two suggestions, the experimentation is great fun which can produce great results and the improving method does work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Cool outside the box thinking.   

I remember loving “black and tans” back in the day (basically Guinness on the bottom and a light crisp lager layered on top in the glass) both for visual and variety in a single glass. 

your idea makes awesome sense and the possibilities are obviously endless 

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2021 at 5:03 PM, J P said:

Cool outside the box thinking.   

I remember loving “black and tans” back in the day (basically Guinness on the bottom and a light crisp lager layered on top in the glass) both for visual and variety in a single glass. 

your idea makes awesome sense and the possibilities are obviously endless 

Thanks for the nice comment. I forgot about the “black and tans”, what a memory trip, had many in my youth.

If you try something let us know, might be good to record for future brewing.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is something I've done for years. Well, at least since I started kegging. There's plenty of vids on the untervebs about it. Have a crack, lots of ways to do it and it's seen the birth of some great beers.

Do you wonder what a super hoppy lager would taste like? Me too.

70% Bavarian Lager 30% Jolly Roger hopped up. 

Have a crack. Don't be afraid to give it a little mix.

Cheers 20220408_192312.thumb.jpg.4bbd4853209f914cbcdcc2f3788b8a9a.jpg

• Thanks 1

So, not in the position of mixing an ale with a lager but Aussie Premium hopped with Pride of Ringwood (which definitely tatses better in the Asashi glass and a Birra Lager.

What a great idea, can notice the hops mix and tasting both beers in te one sip. Have to give this a go with a few others and see if I can come up with a winner

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Thought I would start with a blend of two. 50% Stone and Wood Pacific and 50% The GOAT Amber ale. The dry hop combination is Sequoia, Melba, Idaho 7 (Stone and Wood Pacific) Galaxy, Sequoia (The GOAT Amber Ale).

So why you asked. Well hadn’t pour a beer from the two taps since Sunday so thought I’d give both lines a replacement with fresh beer. The result is actually magnificent, the hops give real bite, bitter after taste and very refreshing.

image.thumb.jpg.707b15d98266fc08c2dfb15cd080c368.jpg