The Hazy IPA

On 7/9/2022 at 6:52 AM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Sounds good @sssibbbaaa and that recipe should be very enjoyable, nice and hazy with decent citrus flavours from the citra.

TBH, that's the first time I've heard the term "cube". I'm assuming that is 16 beers rather than a full case of 24? 

For the Balter Easy Hazy here in Sydney it is around $50 /16 pack so that makes sense.

Damn, if you can drink a 16 cans of Easy Hazy in a evening, that's impressive. At 4% and 16x375ml, that's 6 litres of beer of which 240ml is alcohol. Man if I did that, I would be peeing all evening and night. And I'd still be hung over the next day.

And 240ml of alcohol is just under what you would get from drinking a full 700ml bottle of a spirit, say vodka or gin, at 40% which is 280ml of alcohol.

Just thinking, if you were to drink the Balter Hazy IPA at 6%, you would only need  4 litres or 10.66667 cans to get the same amount of alcohol.

And to take it to the logical conclusion, a RR DayMan clone at 8.5% (assuming a 375 can size) you would only need 7.5 cans or 2.8 litres of beer for the equivalent amount of alcohol. So much less peeing  😁

Now thinking back to last Friday, I drank 3x 473ml glasses ( a total of 1.42 litres) of my Tropical Hazy IIIPA @9% and that is around 128ml of alcohol, just over half of what you can drink in a whole cube of the Balter Easy Hazy.

Damn, now I'm even more impressed.

Sorry, that was a major tangent but it caught my interest.

I’ve made a terrible miscalculation. I put my brew on Tuesday and go away for 5 days tomorrow morning. I fear my dry hop notification won’t come by then. 

is there a way to force the dry hop?

On 07/09/2022 at 8:22 AM, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Sounds good @sssibbbaaa and that recipe should be very enjoyable, nice and hazy with decent citrus flavours from the citra.

TBH, that's the first time I've heard the term "cube". I'm assuming that is 16 beers rather than a full case of 24? 

For the Balter Easy Hazy here in Sydney it is around $50 /16 pack so that makes sense.

Damn, if you can drink a 16 cans of Easy Hazy in a evening, that's impressive. At 4% and 16x375ml, that's 6 litres of beer of which 240ml is alcohol. Man if I did that, I would be peeing all evening and night. And I'd still be hung over the next day.

And 240ml of alcohol is just under what you would get from drinking a full 700ml bottle of a spirit, say vodka or gin, at 40% which is 280ml of alcohol.

Just thinking, if you were to drink the Balter Hazy IPA at 6%, you would only need  4 litres or 10.66667 cans to get the same amount of alcohol.

And to take it to the logical conclusion, a RR DayMan clone at 8.5% (assuming a 375 can size) you would only need 7.5 cans or 2.8 litres of beer for the equivalent amount of alcohol. So much less peeing  😁

Now thinking back to last Friday, I drank 3x 473ml glasses ( a total of 1.42 litres) of my Tropical Hazy IIIPA @9% and that is around 128ml of alcohol, just over half of what you can drink in a whole cube of the Balter Easy Hazy.

Damn, now I'm even more impressed.

Sorry, that was a major tangent but it caught my interest.

You know that with the correct gear you could just mainline the alcohol if that's all that you're after mate?

13 hours ago, sssibbbaaa said:

I’ve made a terrible miscalculation. I put my brew on Tuesday and go away for 5 days tomorrow morning. I fear my dry hop notification won’t come by then. 

is there a way to force the dry hop?

No, but if you don't get it in time you could just throw the hops in early before you go away.

The Dry Hop program requires 4 days in total. A couple of extra days won't make a huge difference to your brew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

No, but if you don't get it in time you could just throw the hops in early before you go away.

The Dry Hop program requires 4 days in total. A couple of extra days won't make a huge difference to your brew.

Crisis averted. Dry hop notification popped up as I was packing the car.

Appreciate the advice.

Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

@Captain 3 Droids Just poured myself one if you dont mind as it would be just rude to leave you drinking alone.

Cheers Capt'n 🍻

Even better, it's a long weekend in NSW so the start of a few days of brewin, chillin and drinkin

20220930_135813.thumb.jpg.d8be4c79a63054f03f6f6a278784963c.jpg

Cheers to you Wazza, your brew colour just looks great.

Its a long weekend here in South Australia as well, although retired I like to still treat long weekends as if I wasn’t , that is “piss head Sunday”.

• Upvote 1

Just bottled my Day Man v1. There was a bit left over after filling 12 king browns so went for the empty ‘Rona bottles to get an idea of colour. 

Darker than I had anticipated but the little taster I had filled me with confidence. Used @Wazza_wantsbeer recommended recipe of 5x X1 and 3x x2 with Verdant IPA yeast and 100g of galaxy hops (40g at start of brew and 60g at dry hop notification). 

don’t want to wish your life away but hanging out to try this in 12-14 days time! 

9F0F1F81-67B1-409B-895E-674C6AC9DBDC.jpeg

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sssibbbaaa said:

Just bottled my Day Man v1. There was a bit left over after filling 12 king browns so went for the empty ‘Rona bottles to get an idea of colour. 

Darker than I had anticipated but the little taster I had filled me with confidence. Used @Wazza_wantsbeer recommended recipe of 5x X1 and 3x x2 with Verdant IPA yeast and 100g of galaxy hops (40g at start of brew and 60g at dry hop notification). 

don’t want to wish your life away but hanging out to try this in 12-14 days time! 

9F0F1F81-67B1-409B-895E-674C6AC9DBDC.jpeg

I think that colour looks really good.

Remember it will look a bit different once carbed up and poured into a glass.

I'd say that's a pretty damn good first go at a recipe.

And that 2 week wait really sucks hey. Big part of the reason I moved to kegging the beers.

10 hours ago, sssibbbaaa said:

@Wazza_wantsbeer Is that a DayMan? 

No, this is my latest all grain Single Hop, Wai-iti, which was double dry hopped in the Droid.

Link: 

It's very enjoyable.

Since doing the Day, Night and Sabro Man versions, I've been experimenting a bit like the SMaSH beer I'm brewing right now.

But, I will go back to that base DayMan all grain recipe as I think it worked really well.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...
On 13/03/2021 at 4:09 PM, Robert Pretty said:

Ok , got this Hazy IPA recipe from Liam, to try. I have been asking Brewart to release this as a Brewprint. 

I think this is my favorite so far.

Really nice Hazy. 

E5 (x3), X2 (x3), Y2, D6, D7 

Brewing Program: Propagate: 22°C, Ferment: 18°C, Store: 4°C, Keg: 18°C, Dry Hop: Yes.

Been drinking this at 8 weeksIMG_20210306_184728005.thumb.jpg.b25e348e2249efb25965edd4b2dd3123.jpg

@Robert Pretty

I just started this recipe today.  I'm looking forward to the results.  

Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, Aaron Verrezen said:

Quite new to hazy brewing and the droid in general. Am I correct in saying that this beer is only dry hopped? So no hops added at the start?

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum

that is correct, no hops at the start for this particular recipe.

In saying that, there are plenty of custom brews put up by brewers in this section

https://community.brewart.com/forum/14-brewprint-customisation/

Guys on here have put some amazing recipes up that if Hazy is your thing, you'll find brews that will make you pretty happy. All step by step instructions for us who like to brew by numbers (that's me)

• Upvote 1