The Hazy IPA

56 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Just put this in to morning again. This time going to hop it as per the Coopers version. 50g each of Athanum and Strata. Some lucky soul is going to get this one as there Xmas swap.

I think that’s a better combination than the Galaxy and Citra version. The Strata is a big tropical and stone fruit hit with the Ahtanum providing some flora and berry traits.

Trust you’ll keep some for yourself?

• Upvote 1

Mate just pull the trigger.  
youre real question should be do I buy one or TWO droids right off the bat. 

my experience (thanks to advice from the group) has been one droids not enough.  

usually from initiation to drinking time is about 9 weeks.  Yep. 3 months.  Your IPA s will be the best beers at that point.  So I highly recommend buying a bunch of different IPA DIPA TIPA etc craft beers featuring various hop varieties.   

you will be cranking out beers that rival any fancy expensive craft stuff and indeed have more fun doing it, and you’ll impress yourself and your mates.  

ive asked Liam the Legend of BrewArt support to help me clone about 10 of my favourite expensive craft beers from fruited sours to steam ales and big hoppy IPA’s and they don’t always match EXACTLY but boy do they come close and watching mates eyes pop out of their heads “you made this???” And the satisfaction of making your own big bold or niche beers is just grand.  

some of the lagers can be drunk within 3 weeks of initiation and they’re fun too. 

get onto it mate you won’t regret it.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am so keen to brew this one and I previously ordered the ingredients but as I am making another ingredients order now, I wanted to ask a few questions...

Looking at this recipe, based on previous comments in various threads including by the BrewArt rep, is it safe to assume that this recipe would result in an ABV of around 6.5%?

I do recall that a basic way to calculate ABV is that each Element and Enhancer adds 1% ABV respectively and secondary fermentation another 0.5%.

So for this recipe, 3x E5 + 3 x X2 + 0.5% for secondary = 6.5%

If I want to get this up to 7.5%, would you recommend adding a 4th E5 or 4th X2, (leaning towards the E5 as it includes hops) or something else like adding a single E1 or just go with X5 (Dextrose)?

6 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

If I want to get this up to 7.5%, would you recommend adding a 4th E5 or 4th X2, (leaning towards the E5 as it includes hops) or something else like adding a single E1 or just go with X5 (Dextrose)?

I’d go an extra E5, the dextrose although giving mouthfeel and head retention it will add some mild sweetness which I’m not sure you would want.

Beware, a very active fermentation should be expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 17/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, Dustin Frothman said:

I tried my sampler bottle of this last night but don't have a decent photo.

The colour/haze is great and it's really "juicy" tasting. It was better than I expected so I'm looking forward to the keg being ready shortly.

So this is the brew you put down on October 9? If yes, then it's been about 5 and 1/2 weeks from start to first taste?

So how long to brew from start to finish (kegging) on this one?

30 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

So this is the brew you put down on October 9? If yes, then it's been about 5 and 1/2 weeks from start to first taste?

So how long to brew from start to finish (kegging) on this one?

Yes that’s correct. My notes say it was started on the 9th Oct, dry hopped on day 5 and took 9 days all up to brew.

This one then sat in the Droid for an additional 10 days at storage temp whilst I was waiting for my new kegs to arrive. I kegged on day 19 which was Oct 28th and filled one PET taster bottle.

The bottle would’ve carbonated in 14 days so was theoretically fully carbonated on 11th Nov (last Thurs) and also had that extra week or so to mature whilst in storage. I was willing to give it a try the other night only because I was getting sick of the other beer I had in my Brewflo. So I called that roughly 4 weeks give or take a few days.

It was great as mentioned in my earlier post and almost ready but I think it will be better with a little bit longer. 

It’s usually 6 weeks for an IPA and that’s generally what Liam at Brewart advises. If you include the time to brew then you’re looking at more like 7.5 weeks start to finish.

The stainless steel kegs can take a little longer to fully carbonate when using primer and it’s been a bit cool here so I’m being cautious with that as well.

So I guess the shorter answer is that if you were really keen you could probably start drinking this one today but I’ll wait 2 more weeks because I’m not in any rush.

• Like 1

Dam you @Dustin Frothman and @Wazza_wantsbeer. All this talk about The "Hazy" . Tempted me to crack my dreg bottle of The Hazy which I hopped with 50g of Athanum and Strata. Like the Coopers version. This is young only 3 weeks. Definitely not as fruity.  Doesn't taste super hoppy, this may develop over time. Really nice drop. Hard to describe the favour. Got a dry after taste. I think with another 3 or so weeks could be a real winner. IMG_20211118_183309584.thumb.jpg.517f53bb9262b2043e56098407971b6f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Dam you @Dustin Frothman and @Wazza_wantsbeer. All this talk about The "Hazy" . Tempted me to crack my dreg bottle of The Hazy which I hopped with 50g of Athanum and Strata. Like the Coopers version. This is young only 3 weeks. Definitely not as fruity.  Doesn't taste super hoppy, this may develop over time. Really nice drop. Hard to describe the favour. Got a dry after taste. I think with another 3 or so weeks could be a real winner. IMG_20211118_183309584.thumb.jpg.517f53bb9262b2043e56098407971b6f.jpg

I got that dry aftertaste with The Point IPA and it never really subsided.

I wonder now if I got something wrong cleaning or sanitising wise as I'm yet to have it since and certainly didn't get it from my taster bottle of your Hazy IPA recipe.

Just got this one on, finally. Brew No. 3. 😁

This was the beer and thread that decided it for me to get a Beerdroid and now I'm actually doing it, stoked!

Went with 4x E5 and 3x X2 plus the recommended Y2.

Will do a Double Dry Hop (DDH) for this brew. Will be trying to guess when it hits High Krausen (I'm thinking day 2 of fermentation) and I will use the hop bag and I'll be going with the suggested Citra and Galaxy hops but will also add Eclipse to the mix.

First hopping will be 15g of each and then when the Droid tells me to Dry Hop, I'll add another 20g of Citra and Galaxy and 10-15g of the Eclipse and these will just be chucked into the Droid at this stage.

Note I didn't add any extra dextrose this time as this will be my summer/holidays quaffing beer so will stick with the 7-7.5% ABV.

Putting it down now and with maturation, I can see myself drinking this on Christmas day which is 5 weeks away. Cannot wait to see how this one turns out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Just got this one on, finally. Brew No. 3. 😁

This was the beer and thread that decided it for me to get a Beerdroid and now I'm actually doing it, stoked!

Went with 4x E5 and 3x X2 plus the recommended Y2.

Will do a Double Dry Hop (DDH) for this brew. Will be trying to guess when it hits High Krausen (I'm thinking day 2 of fermentation) and I will use the hop bag and I'll be going with the suggested Citra and Galaxy hops but will also add Eclipse to the mix.

First hopping will be 15g of each and then when the Droid tells me to Dry Hop, I'll add another 20g of Citra and Galaxy and 10-15g of the Eclipse and these will just be chucked into the Droid at this stage.

Note I didn't add any extra dextrose this time as this will be my summer/holidays quaffing beer so will stick with the 7-7.5% ABV.

Putting it down now and with maturation, I can see myself drinking this on Christmas day which is 5 weeks away. Cannot wait to see how this one turns out.

Sounds good mate.

I reckon you should ditch the hop bag.

If you get hold of the Bouncer insert for your Dry Hop filter and see it in action I think you'll have the confidence to do this without any FOF*.

* Fear of floaties. 🤪

• Like 1

On 18/11/2021 at 6:51 PM, Robert Pretty said:

@Robert Pretty,

So is that 3 weeks including the 2 weeks of secondary fermentation or excluding? Is this your first taste or did you have a sneaky one earlier?

From how that looks in your pics, that looks a terrific beer.