Big Bear Imperial Brown Ale

Scott V

Hey all,

am currently brewing my second batch of the Big Bear. After 5 days it called for the dry hops, all well and good, fermentation had seemingly ceased. I checked it a few times yesterday through the viewing window and no activity. However today (day 7) I have looked at it a few times and it's bubbling away like day 2. In all likelihood, if past brews are anything to go by, the droid will cold crash the brew in a couple of hours. By doing so is it cutting the fermentation process early? Will this be detrimental to my brew? Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Anthony

2 hours ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all,

am currently brewing my second batch of the Big Bear. After 5 days it called for the dry hops, all well and good, fermentation had seemingly ceased. I checked it a few times yesterday through the viewing window and no activity. However today (day 7) I have looked at it a few times and it's bubbling away like day 2. In all likelihood, if past brews are anything to go by, the droid will cold crash the brew in a couple of hours. By doing so is it cutting the fermentation process early? Will this be detrimental to my brew? Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

Once the cold crash cycle is finished, let this one sit at kegging temperature (default is 18C) for at least 48 hours. That should allow the yeast to reactivate and consume any residual sugars.

• 5 months later...

Hey all, 

have been ordering the ingredients instead of the brew prints. Buggered up my Big Bear order, asked for 1 of X2, instead of E2. Threw it in the droid anyway. Yeah it’s noticeably different, given I have brewed this one a few times; but not in a bad way. Just like a lighter crisper version.

I put it in kegs, and am currently drinking my two sampler bottles, after 6 weeks conditioning. It still has that grouse toffee flavour, it just doesn’t linger quite long enough. Nonetheless it is a joy to be brewing my own stuff and ‘experimenting’ even if it is by my own neglect.

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 1