Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robert Pretty said:

@Dustin Frothman, dam I hate your kegernator. 😊. Crystal and magnum hops have showed up now. This is next in. I know you rated this higher than the Pirate Life IPA clone. 

I know what you mean @Robert Pretty, @Dustin Frothman is living a life I can only dream. That kegerator looks like my whole life's goal, beer on tap but not just any beer, but beer brewed to your own personal taste.

Nirvana!

Sigh... 🍺🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

@Dustin Frothman, dam I hate your kegernator. 😊. Crystal and magnum hops have showed up now. This is next in. I know you rated this higher than the Pirate Life IPA clone. 

Sorry, I’m not actually bragging it’s just that the beer poured so well it would’ve been a shame to shift it to take a photo.

Youll love his beer @Robert PrettyI think it’s my favourite custom Brewprint now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

I know what you mean @Robert Pretty, @Dustin Frothman is living a life I can only dream. That kegerator looks like my whole life's goal, beer on tap but not just any beer, but beer brewed to your own personal taste.

Nirvana!

Sigh... 🍺🍻

The sad thing is that the only reason I’m living the kegerator dream is because my career dream went to s.hit in February 2020 thanks to Covid.

But hey, I’m still well employed and have fantastic beer so I’m not complaining!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Dusty, did you reckon 25g of each of those was enough?  I've got the SN Torpedo in the droid at the moment... tempted to go 50 of each... could be a tad overboard... happy to hear your thoughts

14 minutes ago, J P said:

Hey Dusty, did you reckon 25g of each of those was enough?  I've got the SN Torpedo in the droid at the moment... tempted to go 50 of each... could be a tad overboard... happy to hear your thoughts

Hey mate, yeah I reckon it is just right and have brewed it that way a few times now. 

If you do go with 50g of each please let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent, @Robert Prettywill 100% stick to advice given.

I've overhopped beer before (came out soapy and undrinkable at 250g/droid), and with the Big IPA's have found the sweet spot to be a total Dry Hop amount to be  between 150-175g per droid for the real hop hit that compares to the crafts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all,

I will be putting this one in the droid tonight.

I would just like to confirm that I run the ale program, and just put in the hops for a couple of days at the EOF, then keg it. I don't need to cold crash it.

Is this the correct way to brew this one?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Anthony

@Anthony Dalton, I usually just brew it as a Mountain Range IPA, currently doing that at the moment. You can do a custom setting and just tick the DH button at bottom. You always need to cold crush when you DH. It helps the DH sediment fall to the bottom, which leads to clearer beer

Edited by Robert Pretty
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hey All,

I am back from India. I went to a couple of micro breweries while in Delhi. They are very much in their embryonic stages it seems, they are very keen on emulating European Lagers. A couple of alright drops there, nothing particularly outstanding.

I have been back a couple of days and with bated breath cracked my first keg of the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA this morning, after 11 weeks conditioning. I am completely blown away by how good it is. This is one of the few brews I have done that actually maintains its head in a pint glass from first sip until last. A myriad of flavours dominated by the heavy dosage of dry hops. This is a smooth drop that has easily elevated itself into one of my top two brews.

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Cracked my second keg of the Sierra Nevada Torpedo, an hour ago, after a little over 22 weeks secondary conditioning. Still a fantastic drop, however I reckon it was better after 11 weeks. Without question I will be brewing this again, so good to know I won’t be selling myself short by drinking it within three months of kegging.
Cheers!

Anthony

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all,

Cracked my second keg of the Sierra Nevada Torpedo, an hour ago, after a little over 22 weeks secondary conditioning. Still a fantastic drop, however I reckon it was better after 11 weeks. Without question I will be brewing this again, so good to know I won’t be selling myself short by drinking it within three months of kegging.
Cheers!

Anthony

I find the ales are really good in that 8-12 week range (XPA excluded, I reckon that drinks best in the 4-8 weeks range) and whilst I have lets some go to the 5-6 month mark, whilst they are still more than acceptable, I don't think they are quite as nice.

• Like 1