Customized brews (outside of the brewprints.....)

24 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Just reading whatever I can on the interweb, there are some who advocate using secondary fermentation as once in the keg and given a food source, the yeast can help to clean up the oxidation.

Was planning to force carbonate this so it would be drinkable for Xmas eve/day but now thinking, I have two of the BrewArt Primers, what if I put those into the 9.5l keg, add CO2, then closed transfer from Droid to keg and then cross my fingers for 2 weeks?

Any other ideas from the brains trust?

Looks ok however best judgement would be to taste a sample, assume you did and was it ok?

Now I’d purge the keg, chill then force carb with Co2 to get it in there. Sample before Xmas day and decide to use or leave to mature further.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Kegging time for the All Inn Brewing NEIPA.

I think my fears about oxidation have come true.

Rather than the expected un kissed orange haze, it's dark, almost brown in colour.

😔

Thoughts on how I might recover this?

Ascorbic Acid in the keg?

20211214_081146.thumb.jpg.d470143fee8314cdcbbca3c86da92bb3.jpg

If that’s the first draw from the tap then it’s perfectly fine.

The green/brown colour is just hops and yeast.

The beer sitting on top of that layer is likely the colour you’re after. So just fill up your keg and get it carbonating.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

hope you’re all doing well!

just wondering if anyone can help me solve this issue with my Morgan’s Ginger beer which I added 1kg of dextrose for alc content too.

fermentation completed and it’s been in bottles with 2 carb drops for almost 3 weeks now in the same conditions as my other completed beers.

I opened a bottle last night and there was no fizz or carbonation at all.

Wondering if the dextrose in fermentation could have stopped secondary/carbonation from happening?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

On 09/12/2021 at 8:28 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

AAD15FBD-A33B-4CE0-B454-10B867DBA155.thumb.jpeg.abc39437b637060a8ec8cc98069d42ba.jpeg

There it is - the custom NEIPA at the minimum 14 days secondary for carbonation.

Fantastic. It tastes like orange juice. To be really true to the style it probably needs some flaked oats steeped in the stovetop boil to get that creamy texture but the Lallemand New England yeast definitely gives it the right character.

I might give the keg another week or so but perhaps this could be an early drinker. I’d be very happy to be wrong about it needing a minimum of 4 weeks.

I reckon @Wazza_wantsbeerwould love this one.

E8706FBF-2F50-44AF-9C01-7300BB53044F.thumb.jpeg.53c51a73b5d6f05be3ec196419c8aa74.jpeg

Here it is out of the keg at 24 days*.

It’s really difficult to tell if it would be any better with another week or so. 

It’s juicy and fruity. Would definitely brew this one again.

*Sorry about the not so clean glass.

• Like 3

On 06/11/2021 at 3:00 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

I'm getting everything ready to brew the following as a take on a New England style IPA:

• E5 x 3, X2 x 3, Lallemand Brewing New England American East Coast Ale Yeast, Mosaic and Citra hop pellets.
  • Add 2 x X2 to 4 Litres of water and bring to the boil.
  • Add 15g Mosaic and cool to 85C
  • Add 30g Citra and 20g Mosaic. Infuse with lid on for 30 minutes
  • Cool wort to approx. 21C and strain into BeerDroid. Top up to 10 Litres with water.
  • Add dry yeast, E5 x 3, X2 x 1
  • Set custom brew profile: Propagate 21C, Ferment 18C, Dry Hop, Keg 18C, Store 4C
  • Manually adjust fermentation temperature to the following schedule:
    • 18C for 2 days
    • 19C for 1 day
    • 20C until EOF
  • Dry hop Citra 35g, Mosaic 50g

Did I miss the outcome of this one? How'd it go? Noting that you have an all grain brew on the run too.

Cheers

Been "away" for a bit, away from the interweb after having some eye issues and advice from the optometrist was to avoid using screens.

Anyway, belated Merry Xmas to all. Hope everyone has had a safe and enjoyable day with many beers poured.

So my All Inn NEIPA was 12 days kegged and Boxing day was such a beautiful day here in Sydney.

To go back a day, my in-laws, wife's parents and brother, came down from Newcastle for Xmas dinner at our place and I served beers out of the kegerator plus the iKegger set up so had 3 beers pouring... the Narci-Citrus IPA (7 weeks end of fermentation EoF) that was my 1st brew, the Point Double IPA 2nd brew (5 weeks EoF) and Hazy IPA 3rd brew (3 weeks, 2 days EoF).

Everyone loved all those beers, thought they were excellent and very tasty.

So brilliant feedback and quite frankly, even though we all know it's good, to get such an endorsement from my In-Laws was very satisfying.

So Boxing day, my wife took her family for a walk around Lane Cove for about an hour and it was hot and humid. My brother-in-law said he'd love a beer after the walk if that was okay.

Okay, f#ck yes that is always okay in my house and so I thought to myself... the NEIPA was only 2 days short of 2 weeks secondary and it was less than the full 9.5l in the keg due to the issues I had kegging on the day and I had added two complete BrewArt keg primers, so I thought it should be close. Plus it had been in the kegerator fridge chilled for 1 full day so any further fermentation and carbonation would have stopped so I thought why not.

Changed the kegerator over from the Point IIPA to the NEIPA and well, to quote my Mother-in-Law, "that one was the best can I have another please".

She proceeded to have 3 full glasses of the NEIPA with lunch before the drive back home to Newcastle.

If that isn't success, I don't know what is.

My thoughts on the taste, definitely the best so far, still feels a little young and the fruity hop flavour doesn't seem quite fully there yet but...

Even more hop flavour than the Hazy IPA, more luxurious mouth feel, good Hazy colour. Still feels more like a Hazy IPA than a true NEIPA however.

20211227_133431.thumb.jpg.1c5b3c70ec553bf11b4c9c3ba1475ba9.jpg

I'd say I can't wait to see how this develops over the next few weeks but quite frankly, I can't bring myself to take it off tap.

Wife and I enjoying one now and she really enjoys it and I was explaining how I can improve things, especially with the Hazy IPA recipe like doing a BIAB and she was like, we've got a big pot to try that... why not! OMG boys, winning.

Edited by Wazza_wantsbeer
Accuracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Been "away" for a bit, away from the interweb after having some eye issues and advice from the optometrist was to avoid using screens.

Anyway, belated Merry Xmas to all. Hope everyone has had a safe and enjoyable day with many beers poured.

So my All Inn NEIPA was 12 days kegged and Boxing day was such a beautiful day here in Sydney.

To go back a day, my in-laws, wife's parents and brother, came down from Newcastle for Xmas dinner at our place and I served beers out of the kegerator plus the iKegger set up so had 3 beers pouring... the Narci-Citrus IPA (7 weeks end of fermentation EoF) that was my 1st brew, the Point Double IPA 2nd brew (5 weeks EoF) and Hazy IPA 3rd brew (3 weeks, 2 days EoF).

Everyone loved all those beers, thought they were excellent and very tasty.

So brilliant feedback and quite frankly, even though we all know it's good, to get such an endorsement from my In-Laws was very satisfying.

So Boxing day, my wife took her family for a walk around Lane Cove for about an hour and it was hot and humid. My brother-in-law said he'd love a beer after the walk if that was okay.

Okay, f#ck yes that is always okay in my house and so I thought to myself... the NEIPA was only 2 days short of 2 weeks secondary and it was less than the full 9.5l in the keg due to the issues I had kegging on the day and I had added two complete BrewArt keg primers, so I thought it should be close. Plus it had been in the kegerator fridge chilled for 1 full day so any further fermentation and carbonation would have stopped so I thought why not.

Changed the kegerator over from the Point IIPA to the NEIPA and well, to quote my Mother-in-Law, "that one was the best can I have another please".

She proceeded to have 3 full glasses of the NEIPA with lunch before the drive back home to Newcastle.

If that isn't success, I don't know what is.

My thoughts on the taste, definitely the best so far, still feels a little young and the fruity hop flavour doesn't seem quite fully there yet but...

Even more hop flavour than the Hazy IPA, more luxurious mouth feel, good Hazy colour. Still feels more like a Hazy IPA than a true NEIPA however.

20211227_133431.thumb.jpg.1c5b3c70ec553bf11b4c9c3ba1475ba9.jpg

I'd say I can't wait to see how this develops over the next few weeks but quite frankly, I can't bring myself to take it off tap.

Wife and I enjoying one now and she really enjoys it and I was explaining how I can improve things, especially with the Hazy IPA recipe like doing a BIAB and she was like, we've got a big pot to try that... why not! OMG boys, winning.

Top post Wazza and welcome back. 
Isn’t it just great when people just truely enjoy your beers and actually ask for more!

And your wife just loving it - that means another Droid Wazza, you know “ “ “hers”, her Droid.

And taking a brew off tap because……. If it tastes great then drink I say. I often drink brews early, particularly lagers. Would you believe some brewers with those pressure fermenters in temperature controlled fridges after EOF drop the temp down and consume straight away. 

A great new year.

• Like 1

A bit more detail from the actual Brewing which got lost when I had the kegging issues on the day 2 weeks ago.

On the FWK it has an in the box starting gravity of 1.070. I halved the 15 litres to 7.5 litres, added 150g of Dextrose so got my own starting gravity of 1.060.

In all that panic on kegging day, I did actually take a final gravity which was 1.008 which I understand to be a good result. This means a ABV of 6.83%.

I used two of the BrewArt keg primers in what was about 8 litres in the keg.

So I figure it's pretty close to 7.5% in the keg.

On the 24th after a really bad day, I decided to open the taster bottle and wow it was aweful as you can see from the picture. So much hop floaty bits and very clearly oxidised.

20211224_164253.thumb.jpg.a771d1b9bac14337b1e341a45e1c3784.jpg

20211224_164300.thumb.jpg.1dcb2db70c299d8e8361d60c4c09eaab.jpg

Was so worried about what was in the keg but as you can see from my last post, it's turned out so much better than expected.

And as I'm drinking this NEIPA as I am typing here that its had time to warm up in the glass which really improved the mouth feel, much creamier and fuller, much more like the commercial craft NEIPAs I've tried.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

A bit more detail from the actual Brewing which got lost when I had the kegging issues on the day 2 weeks ago.

On the FWK it has an in the box starting gravity of 1.070. I halved the 15 litres to 7.5 litres, added 150g of Dextrose so got my own starting gravity of 1.060.

In all that panic on kegging day, I did actually take a final gravity which was 1.008 which I understand to be a good result. This means a ABV of 6.83%.

I used two of the BrewArt keg primers in what was about 8 litres in the keg.

So I figure it's pretty close to 7.5% in the keg.

On the 24th after a really bad day, I decided to open the taster bottle and wow it was aweful as you can see from the picture. So much hop floaty bits and very clearly oxidised.

20211224_164253.thumb.jpg.a771d1b9bac14337b1e341a45e1c3784.jpg

20211224_164300.thumb.jpg.1dcb2db70c299d8e8361d60c4c09eaab.jpg

Was so worried about what was in the keg but as you can see from my last post, it's turned out so much better than expected.

And as I'm drinking this NEIPA as I am typing here that its had time to warm up in the glass which really improved the mouth feel, much creamier and fuller, much more like the commercial craft NEIPAs I've tried.

Sometimes I think we jump too quickly in worrying about oxidisation. I’d say those brews were more over carbonated than “oxidised”. The fact that you use 2 primers suitable for 10l in a 8l brew and the fact that the end result was tops would support that.

Ps you avoiding the”extra Droid?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sometimes I think we jump too quickly in worrying about oxidisation. I’d say those brews were more over carbonated than “oxidised”. The fact that you use 2 primers suitable for 10l in a 8l brew and the fact that the end result was tops would support that.

Ps you avoiding the”extra Droid?

That green pour from the post above  was from a full 750ml taster bottle that had 2 carb drops.

It was very heavily carbonated as you can tell but it was greenish in colour and I've tasted oxidised beer in the past and that bottle was clearly oxidised.

The green hop bits didn't help and it was a sink pour unfortunately.

Really had me worried about what I would get out of the keg as I did an open transfer from the Droid to keg.

But I did purge with CO2 as soon as I could and the primers were added as soon as I realised that a closed transfer wouldn't work due to the trouble I was having with the "in" liquid port on the keg.

I've also read quite a bit on this and yes, during secondary fermentation, the yeast can definitely clean up the oxidisation.

Interestingly, with approximately 8 litres in the keg and 2 primers, I was worried about sweetness but that didn't come thru at all.

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hahaha, I am honestly thinking I'm a good chance to get a second Droid once I get the next brew down which will be a cider which my wife loves.

I've got cider yeast, yeast nutrient and 6x 1.5l The Apple Press Pink Lady Apple juice from Hawkes Bay in NZ all ready to go once my Bro's Birthday Hazy finishes which I expect to dry hop later today.

She wasn't too happy with the Kegerator until she saw how impressed her family was with that and the beer it dispensed and is now really cool with it.

So shhh, I'm slowly introducing the idea of a second droid.

😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

That green pour from the post above  was from a full 750ml taster bottle that had 2 carb drops.

It was very heavily carbonated as you can tell but it was greenish in colour and I've tasted oxidised beer in the past and that bottle was clearly oxidised.

The green hop bits didn't help and it was a sink pour unfortunately.

Really had me worried about what I would get out of the keg as I did an open transfer from the Droid to keg.

But I did purge with CO2 as soon as I could and the primers were added as soon as I realised that a closed transfer wouldn't work due to the trouble I was having with the "in" liquid port on the keg.

I've also read quite a bit on this and yes, during secondary fermentation, the yeast can definitely clean up the oxidisation.

Interestingly, with approximately 8 litres in the keg and 2 primers, I was worried about sweetness but that didn't come thru at all.

Proper purging is important and to be completely honest I’ve open transferred into kegs (even from the plastic fermenters) for over 6 years and have never had an oxygen issue. In general  5 things will potential give a risk to the problem

1) your transfer in any method that allows for air to be “sucked in” eg loose connection (usually you can hear it)

2)  having too little in the storage vessel eg 10l in a 19l keg, there is a method of complete sealed transfer but a bit of a pain and Co2 usage. Not done properly, problem.

3) transfer is sloppy, splashes etc.

4) wort is left for too long before kegging/cubing. This can be a particular risk with all grain brewing. 
5) cubing, don’t get all the air out.

• Like 1