Belgian Lager

Pursya

Yeah fermentation temperature is selected based on the type of yeast that is being used.  Lager yeasts like it colder around 12, while ale yeasts like it warmer typically 16 - 18.  Then there is Saison yeast which loves even QLD summer ambient room temps, that's what has been going into my non-droid fermenters lately. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Found a sneaky bottle of this lumped in with the US Chiller box*, probably 12 weeks secondary.

Tasting notes : ryhmes with "bucking filliant". Summer on the porch, this on tap, some crackers and a few cheeses...wouldn't get any better unless your parents in law turned up and said "can we take the kids for the weekend?"

* Always stick a bottle of beer into another box to give yourself a chance to see what it is like a few weeks down the track

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Yep, this is one of those few that actually drinks well after the bare amount of secondary but just keeps getting better. The Aussie Premium was my third brew and the first to make me go " yeah Ok this is better than what I had brewed before and sits with what I can buy" but the Belgian Lager was the 4th and I was very happy, I knew I could make beer better than what I was buying. I snuck a couple bottles of it out to 8 weeks and I was really stoked.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Just into some bottles done early in July. That is it, one in every three brewprints is going to have to be this beer, just an awesome drop

Sure is a top drop, brewed twice now and will be a regular for sure. ( lucky to get carbonated it’s that nice 😋). I’m thinking of using one of the droids purely for repeats and do anything on the other?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm more into the darker beers but i do like pale ales, and some german lagers.  You guys really make this Belgian lager sound delicious, so I've got to try it now!  actually I've had lots of Belgian beers, just of the darker variety or lambics.  Duvel is a nice golden beer, rochefort 8, and 10 are both in my top 10 fave beer list.  anyway, sounds like you guys may soon be doing 20 liter batches of it soon!  Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So when you are doing your brews, are you using hop pouches or just using hops in a mesh bag or hop tea

Hop bag as such. Purchased a large cloth mesh bag from Beerbelly (I think) and cut a number of mesh tubes out of it. Tie a knot in one end, add required hop pellets, tie knot to close and drop in. (Note:- bag is soaked in non rinse sanitiser (starsan) first and “wrung out”). 

• Thanks 1

See, I've been a silly bugger and got more hop pouches, not that I mind as now I am using it correctly. I think next step for me is to see what the hop tea does to the Tommy Boy Pilsnerand then move onto that first.

Baby steps

Funnily enough, I'll try the Tommy Boy and think "why the hell am I using pouches?"

On 17/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Weissbock said:

I'm more into the darker beers but i do like pale ales, and some german lagers.  You guys really make this Belgian lager sound delicious, so I've got to try it now!  actually I've had lots of Belgian beers, just of the darker variety or lambics.  Duvel is a nice golden beer, rochefort 8, and 10 are both in my top 10 fave beer list.  anyway, sounds like you guys may soon be doing 20 liter batches of it soon!  Enjoy!

It has its moments