New BrewFlo - Upgrade….?

Rob Courtney

I’m not sure about Version 1 tube diameters however however this may well assist with some issues. It takes 8mm od tubing so if the current beer line is different then a step up or down could be done.

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight-8mm-x-flow-control-ball-lock-disconnect-liquid-black-yellow-pok.html

Do the threads of the ball lock posts suit the plastic ones?

Something to consider, I think?

Well put in a 5l keg to the BrewFlo, an English Pub Draught, only 16days of carbonation with 14 Coopers carbonation drops.
First photo is first pour, FloCon on full, air at default zero. Bit heady but expected and certainly not detrimental to the outcome. Photos 2 & 3 show the head holding well with good lacing.
Second pour left air at zero but turned the FloCon back a 1/4 of a turn. Good result.(Took a sip before photo however it was not heady, same as photo.) Working as it should.
Ps Draught is delightful. 
pours just continue to spot on.

A93AAEDB-A7AD-40B1-BF2C-493525E40362.thumb.jpeg.5d9fc1348cf1942d077d1e82b09e546f.jpeg6A47D3C7-23C1-4AB3-B79B-E5F18726D16B.thumb.jpeg.bd4d4fcfdb20cf5aa85566a0529ba00f.jpeg14F5C634-0838-4995-9322-8A081D1D06E9.thumb.jpeg.7429a28c6648d2d411b95b389b8118bb.jpeg1FE63AAB-8784-47D5-8845-4027DCD80E7C.thumb.jpeg.059c4c80074736cd95bf7045ba5ad925.jpeg60C71643-1855-4F8B-A83F-5CFA52370629.thumb.jpeg.64ff54d32bb9fc02606cdeb5c34bfed4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anthony, I have absolutely no affiliation with Coopers in any other way than I love their products. If the new unit was not up to scratch I would have emailed Liam and said “I can’t review this unit in a positive way”.

It is great and to be honest I’m considering selling my entire ss keg/Co2 set up with all the accessories. As I see it if you have a fridge to chill a number of the 5l kegs then due to quick change overs one BrewFlo would suffice.  
So I’d be Captain 3 Droids but 1 Flo 😂

(then knowing me perhaps 2 Flo)

• Thanks 1

Hey Captain,

Thanks for that. It is probably not news to anyone, that I love the brew flo. My only issue has been kegging the Lagers, they are invariably a touch flat in the keg.I would be interested to hear your  thoughts. Perhaps put through a Czech Pilsner or Bohemian Lager in the new system and let me know how it goes. I am saving my pennies to invest in the Version 2, so keep posting your findings.

Cheers!

Anthony

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey Captain,

Thanks for that. It is probably not news to anyone, that I love the brew flo. My only issue has been kegging the Lagers, they are invariably a touch flat in the keg.I would be interested to hear your  thoughts. Perhaps put through a Czech Pilsner or Bohemian Lager in the new system and let me know how it goes. I am saving my pennies to invest in the Version 2, so keep posting your findings.

Cheers!

Anthony

I’m confident that lagers etc will work well. My first test was with a pale ale. Sadly I only have two of the new kegs so getting another brew on is time restricted. With the price increases on ingredients I am waiting for free delivery and will then get some kegs. This should mean time to put another brew in the unit won’t be such an issue.

On 14/08/2022 at 1:38 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

It is great and to be honest I’m considering selling my entire ss keg/Co2 set up with all the accessories.

Have you done the numbers on this?

I can't see how if you already had a keg/CO2 setup that you'd be any better off nor have better/different functionality.

You'd need to buy liners and carbonate with primer which is more expensive than gas, so over time even your "profit" from a free BrewFlo and sale of your existing gear would get eaten up by these ongoing costs.

Not to mention that despite the fantastic new updates to the Brewflo and kegs, cleaning and filling a corny keg from the Droid is still far quicker and simpler.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Have you done the numbers on this?

I can't see how if you already had a keg/CO2 setup that you'd be any better off nor have better/different functionality.

You'd need to buy liners and carbonate with primer which is more expensive than gas, so over time even your "profit" from a free BrewFlo and sale of your existing gear would get eaten up by these ongoing costs.

Not to mention that despite the fantastic new updates to the Brewflo and kegs, cleaning and filling a corny keg from the Droid is still far quicker and simpler.

Your right an evaluation today ( without a beer 😀) confirms that I stick with my successful setup that has work consistently well for years. I will get 2 more kegs for the BrewFlo as it will/does have its place. 

Thanks for the reassurance.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Your right an evaluation today ( without a beer 😀) confirms that I stick with my successful setup that has work consistently well for years. I will get 2 more kegs for the BrewFlo as it will/does have its place. 

Thanks for the reassurance.

😂

Yeah I have plenty of "good" ideas after a few beers too ...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Czech Pilsner in the Droid today. Will dry hop day 5 10g Hersbrucker and 20g Fuggle. 
Noted I don’t have any keg liners, come on free shipping. (due to price increases the free shipping is of value). I’ll put the Czech into storage if I don’t have the liners.

They still use the same liners as mk1?

28 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Czech Pilsner in the Droid today. Will dry hop day 5 10g Hersbrucker and 20g Fuggle. 
Noted I don’t have any keg liners, come on free shipping. (due to price increases the free shipping is of value). I’ll put the Czech into storage if I don’t have the liners.

Send me a PM with your address and I’ll post you what I have left at my cost. There’s at least a few packets in amongst my stuff and I don’t plan on using them.

🍻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Anthony Dalton

The Czech Pilsner is only at 19 days however thought I give one BrewFlo keg a go. I suspect the keg was a little over carbonated as I used 12 Coopers tablets and not the official primer.

In any event very happy with how you can adjust the unit to get that perfect pour. 
The chilled keg prior to going into the unit. Unit set at 3C.
954F9EBD-2510-4835-93F1-4DA21A4A25C7.thumb.jpeg.2cffa8f1a28db3348f9919ef0de1f70e.jpeg

2BE5E442-401D-42E8-9F8F-0D41BEF417A2.thumb.jpeg.e3369817898aa4feca4a8f4fec4e1229.jpeg

First pour with air pressure set at default 0. Flow set 1/2 a turn back off from full on. Result more head than wanted however no wastage and I didn’t toss the original bit of foam as recommended.

88621C03-7F10-4F8F-B1A9-AA6D9F25D21E.thumb.jpeg.1003924e2ed7a71c100c41238d8f6157.jpeg

Settled well in any event.

E49D5AC9-7706-4A98-95D8-A7BEDE4E1154.thumb.jpeg.c7f54fa9d8ce8fa6f1d2449e809ae29f.jpeg

Second pour, spot on however had  adjusted air pressure to - 5 (think Keg a bit over carbonated) and reduced flow by another 1/2 turn back. Have lost no beer.

Now in my infancy with the Flo I have started at max setting for beer flow (less 1/2 a turn) and the air pressure default of zero. 
Next keg I’m going to start with beer flow one full turn back from zero and air pressure at -3 increments. I think this may be the way to go so adjustments could be nothing or a bit up or down.

Having said that, happy with what’s just been done.

Its a learning curve however if you observe what’s happening then it’s easy to adjust and get right.

5B9A3E74-3C63-4D2C-9A4D-9A6A83AA142C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Looks awesome Captain,

I have ordered several of the new kegs, so I will put a couple of brews into them and let them sit, while I organise purchasing the other bits for my brew flo.

I will be stoked if I can get the lagers to come out with a head on it like that.

Cheers!

Anthony

Will you be using BrewFlo Version 1 with the updated connections? If so you can’t adjust the air pump pressure however think about disconnecting it for the first couple of brews if you think you would reduce it if you had that control.