California Steam Ale

35 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Rob, Yes 14 days seems like a stretch but not unheard of on the forums. I have a Tall Tale Pale Ale fermenting now and kegged the Beer Italia yesterday. Off topic a bit, but on the faceplant Beer Droid group a few contributed low carbonation to leaving the brew in storage and then bringing back to "kegging" phase prior to kegging/bottling. What they didn't elaborate on is whether it was the cold storage or not giving the yeast long enough to mix and somewhat activate with the warmer beer prior to bottling.... Cheers Terry

Cold crashing will clean up the brew, put the yeast to sleep and settle nearly everything to the bottom. So when you bring the temperature back up to kegging temperature, unless using co2 to carbonate the amount of yeast that goes into the bottle or Beerflo keg is reduced, therefore carbonation will be slower and take longer than the normal 2 weeks.
Cheers

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Cold crashing will clean up the brew, put the yeast to sleep and settle nearly everything to the bottom. So when you bring the temperature back up to kegging temperature, unless using co2 to carbonate the amount of yeast that goes into the bottle or Beerflo keg is reduced, therefore carbonation will be slower and take longer than the normal 2 weeks.
Cheers

Hi Rob, Thanks for the good advice. So if not using co2 is there anything to be done to get more yeast in suspension (stir a bit and wait for it to settle)? Cheers Terry

27 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Rob, Thanks for the good advice. So if not using co2 is there anything to be done to get more yeast in suspension (stir a bit and wait for it to settle)? Cheers Terry

It’s Mark, Rob is the other guy. (No harm)

I’d just wait a week or two longer for the carbonation. Stirring will not just release yeast from the bottom but all the other unwanted crap plus stirring in oxygen is a no no.

Personally with these kit style brews I think cold crashing (storage temp) is not necessary.

17 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

It’s Mark, Rob is the other guy. (No harm)

I’d just wait a week or two longer for the carbonation. Stirring will not just release yeast from the bottom but all the other unwanted crap plus stirring in oxygen is a no no.

Personally with these kit style brews I think cold crashing (storage temp) is not necessary.

Hi Mark

well I’m an idiot and apologies for my mistake! I didn’t cold crash the beer Italia so will see how that goes...cheers Terry

53 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark

well I’m an idiot and apologies for my mistake! I didn’t cold crash the beer Italia so will see how that goes...cheers Terry

53 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Hi Mark

No your not, done myself. I think you’ll just love this one, fermented at 12C cleans it up nicely and from memory before it is finished the temperature is raised to 15C to “mop up” then 18C for kegging/bottling.

This is a top brew for a hot day, or with almost any meal.

Cheers.

Edited by Barrelboy

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Rennce said:

Yes it is on my list to do again.  I have a coopers dark ale fermenting at the moment. Hopefully it will be ok as I added one of the malt packets prior to the yeast.... 

Bloody hell this is a top drop, a favourite for #ure. If you haven’t brewed it then do so.

How did your dark ale go?

23 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Bloody hell this is a top drop, a favourite for #ure. If you haven’t brewed it then do so.

How did your dark ale go?

I have not yet tried the Coopers Dark Ale as yet.  It has now had 23 days in secondary bottle ferment so probably due for a sample.  I also have a 5l keg of California Steam Ale (127 days in keg) 2 x 5l kegs of Beer Italia, 1 x keg of Coopers Session Ale + 6 Bottles (no hops in bottles as I am a tit) - 77 days old.  I will probably give them all a run over Christmas.  

3 minutes ago, Rennce said:

I have not yet tried the Coopers Dark Ale as yet.  It has now had 23 days in secondary bottle ferment so probably due for a sample.  I also have a 5l keg of California Steam Ale (127 days in keg) 2 x 5l kegs of Beer Italia, 1 x keg of Coopers Session Ale + 6 Bottles (no hops in bottles as I am a tit) - 77 days old.  I will probably give them all a run over Christmas.  

Bloody hell, your stocks are looking great. I’d change “probably” to will “give them .......” lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If worse comes to worse i'll just buy what I need. I sound like a broken record but just make it a set dollar value for free shipping. As it is, I have a Morgans can in the droids at the moment and then three Brewprints left. Fingers crossed the Morgans can is at least "OK" bu I have near 30 plastic longnecks to take that brew and if it is meh, I'll use it for beer batter

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2020 at 5:27 PM, Rob Courtney said:

If worse comes to worse i'll just buy what I need. I sound like a broken record but just make it a set dollar value for free shipping. As it is, I have a Morgans can in the droids at the moment and then three Brewprints left. Fingers crossed the Morgans can is at least "OK" bu I have near 30 plastic longnecks to take that brew and if it is meh, I'll use it for beer batter

Rob (note not Rod 😇) how did the Morgan’s turn out?

If you haven’t brewed the California Steam yet I think it a must, the one kegged 18/1 is absolutely delicious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...