California Steam Ale

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

At 5 weeks again this is so enjoyable and I brewed with 25g of centennial hops as I’d run out of cascade per recipe. A very good substitute and may do say 15g of each for the next brew.

85640041-94C1-43B7-AC3A-1EFE11EF0231.thumb.jpeg.5ddc77697a9271f037e2b1e1e939481b.jpeg

Looks a bit light in colour, did you put an E1 instead of an E2 in?

:)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve got a steam ready to keg ATM.  It’s not the California steam print, but a hacked version of WA’s little creatures Elsies.   

can’t wait to try it.  

For the beer nerds steams are also known as California commons (working class beer) and are the yin to the Kölsch yang.  

said differently they use lager yeasts to ferment at ale temperatures. 

where Kölsch (from Köln) is an ale yeast brewed and conditioned at cooler lager temps.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/05/2021 at 10:40 AM, J P said:

I’ve got a steam ready to keg ATM.  It’s not the California steam print, but a hacked version of WA’s little creatures Elsies.   

can’t wait to try it.  

Have you given this a try yet?

Put another in the droid today. My records show the last 4 brews EOF was in 6 days so I’m going to dry hop on day 4. Will be using 15g each of Simcoe, Cascade and Huell Melon. Believe this will be a top combination. Huell Melon is interesting and fits in with the other two (IMO)- is an Aroma hop from Germany.
Descriptors include: melon, strawberry, honeydew, fruity, sweet, orange & vanilla.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Put another in the droid today. My records show the last 4 brews EOF was in 6 days so I’m going to dry hop on day 4. Will be using 15g each of Simcoe, Cascade and Huell Melon. Believe this will be a top combination. Huell Melon is interesting and fits in with the other two (IMO)- is an Aroma hop from Germany.
Descriptors include: melon, strawberry, honeydew, fruity, sweet, orange & vanilla.

Sounds like an interesting hop. Keen to hear how this goes.

I may have to update my saying to:

“So many beers, so many hops, so little time.”

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2021 at 7:06 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Devo’d.  It ended up infected.    

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2021 at 9:10 AM, J P said:

can’t wait to try it.  

For the beer nerds steams are also known as California commons (working class beer) and are the yin to the Kölsch yang.  

said differently they use lager yeasts to ferment at ale temperatures. 

where Kölsch (from Köln) is an ale yeast brewed and conditioned at cooler lager temps.  

Ahhh, I was just going to ask the question where the California came from. Just catching up on all the posts from captain on this one. 

What commercial beer would be closest to this one? The Elsie?

Not on my immediate to do list, but everyone's photos look great.

Food pairing suggestion??

16 minutes ago, Sam Armstrong said:

Ahhh, I was just going to ask the question where the California came from. Just catching up on all the posts from captain on this one. 

Can’t help with commercial equivalent but pairing with, lamb shanks, steak and kidney or a good steak.

4 hours ago, Sam Armstrong said:

Generally if there is the word steam or California in the beer name it’s likely to be a California common more popular in the US I’d say but there are a few around.  

as captain says, goes well with Lamb shanks, feta, etc. 

Elsie’s is a very nice steam ale but tends towards lighter and less amber than many others.  

Others:

anchor steam

Mountain goat steam ale

Capital coast steam ale