Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

14 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Ha, have had the  Crown lager in the Brewflo and it pours foam. Had a feeling this may happen because the pour from the bottles were a strong, lasting head but an awful taste, going to let this settle have a taste and cut my losses. No point pouring a beer and letting it settle for five, re pour, let it settle for 5, re pour, let it settle and then drink.

Now, for those who keg and use a Brewflo, if you are to empty a keg, do not unscrew the collar, or undo the orange or black lug, just fix a beer line into the orange lug and let it pour out in a timely manner, with no extra cleaning

The keg seems to be over carbonated. Is there a way to release any of the pressure? When over carbonation happens with a ss keg, you release the pressure via the pressure release valve, wait about an hour, test pour, still frothy, release again, test etc until the pour is good. That way not much beer is wasted and you end up with good beer.

52 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

The keg seems to be over carbonated. Is there a way to release any of the pressure? When over carbonation happens with a ss keg, you release the pressure via the pressure release valve, wait about an hour, test pour, still frothy, release again, test etc until the pour is good. That way not much beer is wasted and you end up with good beer.

Nah, that much foam is a killer in a keg sadly. It may have been something I wanted to salvage if it tasted OK but I sampled off both keg varieties and they are not worth the hassle of trying to save, if they were I would have gotten them down to three degrees, switched off the flo and poured a couple of pints to get it OK but even when I was doing that with other over carbonated brews, it was pouring 50/50, this was just ice cream.

Anyways, the great can experiment is almost done, just the bottles I did last week now and they can sit

• Upvote 1

On 22/01/2020 at 8:14 AM, Barrelboy said:

Just put down an English Bitter kit beer however instead of doing the 1/2 and storing 1/2 a can in the fridge until needed, have made a total 20l batch storing 1/2 as wort in a dark glass demijohn. So when required, tip into a droid and add yeast. Way to go. I think.🤔

Put the wort into the droid on 27/01/20, no sign of infection, smelt ok, looked ok. Will be interested in the result.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 8:41 AM, Barrelboy said:

Galaxy IPA. 1/2 tin of Coopers BrewA IPA with 250g of ldme (easy drinking 4.1%) with T.C kit yeast. In droid 16/02/20 am. Will dry hop 20g of galaxy hops on day 6 or 7. 

See, I'd be keen to have a tasting table at your place. Wouldn't legally be allowed to operate machinery afters but...still, it would be interesting

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Morgans gold lager is at 6.5 weeks, so it was time for another sample, purely for scientific purposes. I still would not make it again but it is streets ahead of the Coopers cans. This one was made without the pride of roadhouse hops and could still mature into an OK beer. I guess this is one of those "homebrew" beers that gets your friends a little jumpy when you say you have some beer to drink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As generally known I’m a Coopers fan. Mainly of their International, Thomas Cooper series or the Mr Beer range. However I don’t use the Enhancer range or dextrose but good malt extracts mainly dry light malt and/or wheat and/or Amber malt. Hops also usually in there somewhere as well. I believe the quality malts are the key to these can brews.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheapest quality brew. Although the trial BrewPrint of Coopers English Bitter is very acceptable and very close to the kit version I couldn’t go pass a special of Coopers English Bitter cans at $12.80 (got 7). 
So made 2 x 10l batches = 20l.

Can of English Bitter $12.80

500g ldme (5kg bulk @ $8kg) = $4

Kit yeast $0, Y3 for batch 2 = $2.50

Total = $19.30/ 20l = 52x 375ml stubbies = $0.37 ea = $8.88 a slab.

Now don’t get me wrong, my majority of brews are from Brewprint ingredients and are top class but there is nothing wrong with other forms of wort if enjoyable and economical.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Cheapest quality brew. Although the trial BrewPrint of Coopers English Bitter is very acceptable and very close to the kit version I couldn’t go pass a special of Coopers English Bitter cans at $12.80 (got 7). 
So made 2 x 10l batches = 20l.

Can of English Bitter $12.80

500g ldme (5kg bulk @ $8kg) = $4

Kit yeast $0, Y3 for batch 2 = $2.50

Total = $19.30/ 20l = 52x 375ml stubbies = $0.37 ea = $8.88 a slab.

Now don’t get me wrong, my majority of brews are from Brewprint ingredients and are top class but there is nothing wrong with other forms of wort if enjoyable and economical.

Absolutely. Even though I have complained about the canned brews I have done, at least the last one, the Morgans with some Ringwood left over hops made it an OK, if not somewhat hangover inducing beer ( to be honest, I am not sure it is under 6% with the way I wake up after) that is better tasting than most of the "dry" beers out there and I reckon I got 22 litres of beer knocked off for maybe $20-24. It is a handy stash when you are near the end of a Saturday night sesh and you can just grab a longneck...or two and chill them quickly 

• Upvote 1

I find with the cans a dry or liquid malt extract is the better outcome rather than dextrose or similar type sugars. The English bitter recipe achieves a modest 4.2% brew which means easy consumption of many. By its appearance to a lot of people tent to think it a stout until they taste it and explained its an “ale”.

On 09/04/2020 at 5:29 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Absolutely. Even though I have complained about the canned brews I have done, at least the last one, the Morgans with some Ringwood left over hops made it an OK, if not somewhat hangover inducing beer ( to be honest, I am not sure it is under 6% with the way I wake up after) that is better tasting than most of the "dry" beers out there and I reckon I got 22 litres of beer knocked off for maybe $20-24. It is a handy stash when you are near the end of a Saturday night sesh and you can just grab a longneck...or two and chill them quickly 

Just had one of these...well having and without hops. 12 weeks, not my favourite beer, not a Brewart lager by any stretch but OK and definitely better than the two Coopers cans, that I may have bollocked up

• Upvote 1

On 16/02/2020 at 8:41 AM, Barrelboy said:

Galaxy IPA. 1/2 tin of Coopers BrewA IPA with 250g of ldme (easy drinking 4.1%) with T.C kit yeast. In droid 16/02/20 am. Will dry hop 20g of galaxy hops on day 6 or 7. 

Kegged this one 26/2 after 10 day fermentation, dry hopped 20g galaxy on day 8. Just over 7 weeks and has matured well. Definitely galaxy to the palate and bitter finish which I enjoy. Both linger nicely.image.thumb.jpg.4093870a6d5138bd3f7c9cfc2761e79a.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Morgans lager, 5 months in...and now it is a beer.

I do prefer the Brewprint 5 week and you can drink it thingo but :)

Actually, really surprised by how this has come out, unlike a Brewprint and I am not 100% sure whether it has the hops in it or not as I just threw them together in a box...pretty sure but yeah, you'd pour this to mates.

Still, 5 F$%cking months

• Upvote 1

5% alcomohol volume. I had 3 longnecks of that last night and I woke up at 4am a touch under the weather. To put it in perspective, I made myself 3 bacon and scrambled egg muffins for breakfast and still felt the need for 2 pies and a saus roll for lunch...and then I felt...better 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...