Brendan Ashe

Brewing using Coopers cans?

14 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Ha, have had the  Crown lager in the Brewflo and it pours foam. Had a feeling this may happen because the pour from the bottles were a strong, lasting head but an awful taste, going to let this settle have a taste and cut my losses. No point pouring a beer and letting it settle for five, re pour, let it settle for 5, re pour, let it settle and then drink.

Now, for those who keg and use a Brewflo, if you are to empty a keg, do not unscrew the collar, or undo the orange or black lug, just fix a beer line into the orange lug and let it pour out in a timely manner, with no extra cleaning

The keg seems to be over carbonated. Is there a way to release any of the pressure? When over carbonation happens with a ss keg, you release the pressure via the pressure release valve, wait about an hour, test pour, still frothy, release again, test etc until the pour is good. That way not much beer is wasted and you end up with good beer.

52 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

The keg seems to be over carbonated. Is there a way to release any of the pressure? When over carbonation happens with a ss keg, you release the pressure via the pressure release valve, wait about an hour, test pour, still frothy, release again, test etc until the pour is good. That way not much beer is wasted and you end up with good beer.

Nah, that much foam is a killer in a keg sadly. It may have been something I wanted to salvage if it tasted OK but I sampled off both keg varieties and they are not worth the hassle of trying to save, if they were I would have gotten them down to three degrees, switched off the flo and poured a couple of pints to get it OK but even when I was doing that with other over carbonated brews, it was pouring 50/50, this was just ice cream.

Anyways, the great can experiment is almost done, just the bottles I did last week now and they can sit

• Upvote 1

Just put down an English Bitter kit beer however instead of doing the 1/2 and storing 1/2 a can in the fridge until needed, have made a total 20l batch storing 1/2 as wort in a dark glass demijohn. So when required, tip into a droid and add yeast. Way to go. I think.🤔

Just put in the droid a “Lawm Mower Lager - mixed clone”

Split the following 10l droid, 10l wort being stored for next available droid.

1 can Coopers Draught

500g ldme

2 x X2

Y7 yeast

Will dry hop 20g galaxy 5 - 6 days time.

Will report when consuming.

On 22/01/2020 at 8:14 AM, Barrelboy said:

Just put down an English Bitter kit beer however instead of doing the 1/2 and storing 1/2 a can in the fridge until needed, have made a total 20l batch storing 1/2 as wort in a dark glass demijohn. So when required, tip into a droid and add yeast. Way to go. I think.🤔

Put the wort into the droid on 27/01/20, no sign of infection, smelt ok, looked ok. Will be interested in the result.

Galaxy IPA. 1/2 tin of Coopers BrewA IPA with 250g of ldme (easy drinking 4.1%) with T.C kit yeast. In droid 16/02/20 am. Will dry hop 20g of galaxy hops on day 6 or 7. 

• Upvote 1

On 16/02/2020 at 8:41 AM, Barrelboy said:

Galaxy IPA. 1/2 tin of Coopers BrewA IPA with 250g of ldme (easy drinking 4.1%) with T.C kit yeast. In droid 16/02/20 am. Will dry hop 20g of galaxy hops on day 6 or 7. 

See, I'd be keen to have a tasting table at your place. Wouldn't legally be allowed to operate machinery afters but...still, it would be interesting

• Haha 1