Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

No havent done it yet lol, will be after my Perth trip now . It has arrived , have the cider and a ginger beer . No apple juice needed for this one . Any idea how to make it like a dry cider. I have a feeling this will be over poweringly sweet 🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

No havent done it yet lol, will be after my Perth trip now . It has arrived , have the cider and a ginger beer . No apple juice needed for this one . Any idea how to make it like a dry cider. I have a feeling this will be over poweringly sweet 🤣🤣🤣

While in Perth get yourself a champagne yeast as I believe this will create the dry cider outcome.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Have done this before and rated highly - In the droid just now.

BrewA IPA - Citra. 1/2 tin Coopers BrewA IPA, 250g dry amber malt, Thomas Cooper tin yeast (7g), will dry hop 20g of Citra pellets day 5.

Simple recipe (and will use the other 1/2 tin with Y2 yeast, 250g ldme and dry hop either Galaxy, Amarillo, or perhaps Vic Secret.)

• Upvote 1

On 05/08/2020 at 11:27 AM, Barrelboy said:

Have done the second half and will dry hop day 6 10g of simcoe and 10g Mosaic

Well I never, nearly 150 BrewArt brews and never forgot the yeast yet. Well always a first time I suppose. No harm done as this ale was premixed, ie no ingredients sitting on top and the wort nicely sealed up at 17C. 
Cancelled program, and downloaded the new firmware P16, a bonus to this error of mine.

Have now set the custom mode and set the dry hop to on. Will be interested in this as to my thoughts on adding the hops. Might be the first droid to use this, never know but doesn’t matter anyway.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 7:13 AM, Barrelboy said:

Well I never, nearly 150 BrewArt brews and never forgot the yeast yet. Well always a first time I suppose. No harm done as this ale was premixed, ie no ingredients sitting on top and the wort nicely sealed up at 17C. 
Cancelled program, and downloaded the new firmware P16, a bonus to this error of mine.

Have now set the custom mode and set the dry hop to on. Will be interested in this as to my thoughts on adding the hops. Might be the first droid to use this, never know but doesn’t matter anyway.

After 9 days fermentation got a message to add the hops (wasn’t going to as already done with a ss hop ball) however it asked to give the tick when done. So I suspect will sit for 24hrs the go into storage. I just ceased the program and kegged.

Word of warning, as I keg to ss kegs if fermentation is not quite complete it will finish off in the keg and no harm done however bottles = potential bombs, Beerflo kegs = potential over carbonation. So if you choose the the hop mode route and you bottle/Beerflo keg then follow through until at least gone to the storage mode.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2020 at 8:45 AM, Barrelboy said:

Have done this before and rated highly - In the droid just now.

BrewA IPA - Citra. 1/2 tin Coopers BrewA IPA, 250g dry amber malt, Thomas Cooper tin yeast (7g), will dry hop 20g of Citra pellets day 5.

Simple recipe (and will use the other 1/2 tin with Y2 yeast, 250g ldme and dry hop either Galaxy, Amarillo, or perhaps Vic Secret.)

There is something about citra hops, absolutely delicious ipa,  5 day dry hop just great

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just tried a Coopers can Preachers Weiss  beer.   Half the can of syrup, half the 7g bag of yeast, 500mg of light malt extract and 10l of water.   Let’s see what magic happens.    Water was a little warm starting up.  35C but i reckon that won’t be too big a deal.  Hit the Ale button and we will see what happens.  

im curious now how this whole thing works.   Does it detect weight ?   How does it know when fermentation is done  without a hydrometer?   Don’t even own one.  Should I get one?

5 hours ago, J P said:

Just tried a Coopers can Preachers Weiss  beer.   Half the can of syrup, half the 7g bag of yeast, 500mg of light malt extract and 10l of water.   Let’s see what magic happens.    Water was a little warm starting up.  35C but i reckon that won’t be too big a deal.  Hit the Ale button and we will see what happens.  

im curious now how this whole thing works.   Does it detect weight ?   How does it know when fermentation is done  without a hydrometer?   Don’t even own one.  Should I get one?

Hi JP, 35C a bit hot particularly for the yeast. A couple of litres in the fridge for a while helps.  The Droid fermentation proces etc,  testing and result is commercially sensitive, however as I understand it, it works by temperature differentials with in the unit as fermentation gives off heat.

A hydrometer is handy to have however I haven’t used mine yet with the droids as 9touch wood” haven’t had any non EOF issues.

• Thanks 1

On 05/02/2021 at 4:05 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi JP, 35C a bit hot particularly for the yeast. A couple of litres in the fridge for a while helps.  The Droid fermentation proces etc,  testing and result is commercially sensitive, however as I understand it, it works by temperature differentials with in the unit as fermentation gives off heat.

A hydrometer is handy to have however I haven’t used mine yet with the droids as 9touch wood” haven’t had any non EOF issues.

Hey JP , 

Havent had chance to say Gday yet so 🤘

I havent done this can before but sounds good , lets see how it turns out. Have a crack at the Brewart Weissbier its also a good drop.

I do agree with Captain, the propagation temp is a bit high, i live in the pilbara so thats my winter water temp, i have found best part of the droid is I can use the start of the cycle to get to propagation temp before adding the yeast, i would say around the 26 mark is good for the hefe. You want to stress the yeast a bit to get the Esters but not too much. I had better results at slightly higher temps for that Banana/clove aroma/taste

Lagers like cooler propagation around 22 I made i think i stressed the yeast a bit ( and got that awesome lager fart smell) . Still turned out a good beer , but after tweaking the temp down i had greater results. 

Ales i have done higher and cooler temps, both turned out great beers ( i also hide my beer in tasty tasty hops). But now being where i live i always set my ideal propagation temp and let my droid run for an hour or two until its cooler then add my ingredients. I would imagine for can brewing you can add the extract and water let it cool then add your yeast and dry ingredients . 

Let us know how the brew goes though , love a good wheat beer

• Thanks 1

This is a very interesting thread.  

im currently trying a half can of preachers Hefeweizen  with 500g malt. 

we will see how it goes.   

I reckon a kitchen scale is the go to half batches.   

great idea on a warm water bath to soften syrup. 

regarding yeast, can’t you just feed your favourite yeast some sugar in tepid water and make it multiply?

I’m very curious how the 23L cans turn out for a 10L batch ??   I would imagine High ABV and thick and strong??

sounds like it would be very good 🙂

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Hey JP , 

Havent had chance to say Gday yet so 🤘

I havent done this can before but sounds good , lets see how it turns out. Have a crack at the Brewart Weissbier its also a good drop.

I do agree with Captain, the propagation temp is a bit high, i live in the pilbara so thats my winter water temp, i have found best part of the droid is I can use the start of the cycle to get to propagation temp before adding the yeast, i would say around the 26 mark is good for the hefe. You want to stress the yeast a bit to get the Esters but not too much. I had better results at slightly higher temps for that Banana/clove aroma/taste

Lagers like cooler propagation around 22 I made i think i stressed the yeast a bit ( and got that awesome lager fart smell) . Still turned out a good beer , but after tweaking the temp down i had greater results. 

Ales i have done higher and cooler temps, both turned out great beers ( i also hide my beer in tasty tasty hops). But now being where i live i always set my ideal propagation temp and let my droid run for an hour or two until its cooler then add my ingredients. I would imagine for can brewing you can add the extract and water let it cool then add your yeast and dry ingredients . 

Let us know how the brew goes though , love a good wheat beer

Thanks for the welcome and the excellent tips.   Pilbara would have warm water. LOL.  

I’ll be more careful going forward.   
curious what you mean by “stress the yeast” is that a temperature thing?

will keep you guys updated on the results   Do love the wheat beers...

Gday back from bottom of WA to top! 🤙🏽

• Upvote 2

Not sure if Yeast stress is scientific or not . But i have been told yeast can be temperamental little buggers. 

I think Lager yeast is one that really doesnt like the higher temp. First Tiger beer i did was with my usually warm water. And a couple of days in I got the heavy sulpher smell from the yeast. The smell goes and the beer was good but maybe not 100% what i expected. Talking to people about the smell was told thats what stressed yeast give off and typical for yeasts used in lagers, also why you typically ferment at a lower temp. Second Tiger i did i had the water at 22 degrees for progagation , no sulpher smell for the brew and was heaps more full bodied when drinking and had alot more Malty flavors to go with it. 

The Weissbier also propogate now at lower temp but i ferment a few degrees higher to "stress" the yeast and get more of the esters from the yeast to get that Banana/Clove hit i want from a good wheat. Its all scientific and all trial and errors. It the best thing of the droid it takes so maby variables away leaving you with just the parameters you want to play with. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/02/2021 at 10:37 PM, J P said:

This is a very interesting thread.  

im currently trying a half can of preachers Hefeweizen  with 500g malt. 

we will see how it goes.   

I reckon a kitchen scale is the go to half batches.   

great idea on a warm water bath to soften syrup. 

regarding yeast, can’t you just feed your favourite yeast some sugar in tepid water and make it multiply?

I’m very curious how the 23L cans turn out for a 10L batch ??   I would imagine High ABV and thick and strong??

sounds like it would be very good 🙂

Alright.   Update.  7 day ferment on the half can of preachers Hefeweizen with 500gm light malt extract.  I’m super stoked that it worked.   So much so that I had to have a couple of pints of it straight out of the droid after kegging one Brewart keg and a mini 5L.  

straight out it looks smells and tastes fine.  Obviously will be better later on.  

I plan to condition the Brewart keg for a couple of weeks, and as for the 5L mini keg I plan to use CO2 to carbonate and drink straight away.  (Mostly because I don’t have more Brewart kegs and haven’t yet caught up with desired consumption rates).

will update with the results as they come in.   I don’t mind doing the hard yards for you fellas 😆

no happier feeling than when the droid tells you “hey I’m done, come keg me”

8128E9A9-71BE-4BD9-AA34-1B3416E337A7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2